Marbles

shears?
« on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:37 pm »
W
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2009, 03:21 am by Marbles »

BobM

Re: What are the best kitchen shears?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:39 pm »
We just use the Henkel ones that came with the set. Just don't go cutting paper or cord or wire with them if you want to keep them in proper shape.

Bob

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2009, 06:09 pm »
Offset is a really nice feature on kitchen shears, it makes cutting through a chicken or duck quite a bit easier. I also prefer solid stainless steel over plastic/resin handles with SS blades. They should also come apart, to make cleaning easier.

These are very good, if you will be using them for poultry.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2009, 06:18 pm »
I have been using Cutco shears (yes the ones that can cut a penny) for close to 20 years now!

Excellent units, do everything I want in the kitchen.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:47 am »
Messermeister makes some shears that are highly regarded.  I think they were recommended by Cooks Illustrated.  I haven't tried them myself but I've been thinking of getting a pair.  I have a Chicago Cutlery pair that gets me by but I'd use them more if I had a bit better one. 

Shears are pretty handy, good for many tasks from opening packages to cutting up chicken wings.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:53 am »
Thanks responders.

Dan, those are poultry shears, I'm looking for a more all around scissor.

mcgsxr:  I was impressed with the Cutco and might end up with them, I was just wondering if there are any better shears that you have seen.

Thanks again guys the feedback is appreciated.

Overall Cutco is the Bose of kitchen knives but the shears are pretty good.  You may have seen a Cutco rep cut a penny in half with them- it will do that and remain functionally sharp.  Only problem is all the Cutco stuff is absurdly overpriced.

Cutco has an arrangement with a company called Vector Marketing to sell their wares.  While Cutco knives are serviceable Vector is pretty slimy.  The whole deal is basically a cross between Bose and Monster Cable.  They loudly trumpet their supposed superiority and rely on getting college kids to drink the Kool-Aid to hawk their stuff.  I've tried some Cutco knives owned by a fellow chef head to head against several other brands and found them wanting.  In fact, my friend ended up returning the knives...but he kept the shears.

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:11 pm »
Thanks responders.

Dan, those are poultry shears, I'm looking for a more all around scissor.

mcgsxr:  I was impressed with the Cutco and might end up with them, I was just wondering if there are any better shears that you have seen.

Thanks again guys the feedback is appreciated.

Overall Cutco is the Bose of kitchen knives but the shears are pretty good.  You may have seen a Cutco rep cut a penny in half with them- it will do that and remain functionally sharp.  Only problem is all the Cutco stuff is absurdly overpriced.

Cutco has an arrangement with a company called Vector Marketing to sell their wares.  While Cutco knives are serviceable Vector is pretty slimy.  The whole deal is basically a cross between Bose and Monster Cable.  They loudly trumpet their supposed superiority and rely on getting college kids to drink the Kool-Aid to hawk their stuff.  I've tried some Cutco knives owned by a fellow chef head to head against several other brands and found them wanting.  In fact, my friend ended up returning the knives...but he kept the shears.

I think you're being too charitable. :)

I always thought that Vector Marketing is the actual company, with a brand called Cutco.   ???

I found their products to be rather crude and not very usable.

As for kitchen shears, I have a pair from Henckels that is pretty good. (Henckels is quite expensive too, but they actually have some good products.)

I just took a quick look and I see that OXO has shears that look decent. I've always been pleased with their products. They're a good value. I don't know that I'd call them the best in the world, but they're all very serviceable and sturdy for a reasonable price.

I think I would prefer a decent pair of shears and then replace them every few years, rather than "the last shears you will ever buy." I'm kind of rough on shears. :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:16 pm »
I agree that Vector Marketing is quite greasy (:flame: as a former college student who drank the Kool-aid and sold their stuff one summer).

I would say the knives are pretty good - but I am a regular guy, not a chef etc - so perhaps the Bose/Monster Cable analogy is perfect.

I use a mix of Henckels (ice hardened S models) and Cutco.  The scissors are quite good, and after 18 years remain sharp and useful, as do the other blades.

I have long since forgotten the Kool-aid, but am happy to have a full set of knives for free!

I want to buy a Japanese blade sometime in the future, and suspect I might then "see the light".

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2009, 04:20 pm »
I want to buy a Japanese blade sometime in the future, and suspect I might then "see the light".

Try one and you will.  There is no comparision between Cutco and even a cheap $35 Japanese knife.  BTW, I have a pair of Henkel shears that I'll swap-- a nice bit of vinyl, a couple of jazz cd's.  They cut fine, but the springs are not dishwasher/wife safe.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2009, 07:43 pm by S Clark »

Eric

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2009, 06:07 pm »
I have some by Wusthof and love them