Why the hate?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Why the hate?
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:23 pm »
Let's not forget the typical stupid bumper stickers the typical Prius driver has on their Prius.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #101 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:35 pm »
Other than the Wiccan stickers (not a fan of any religious mythology), I find most of the endorsed positions positive.  Who doesn't support most of the positions on those bumper stickers.  I like vegetables, and I support humane meat (I always try to get a clean kill when shooting deer or quail).  I want world peace.  But plastering my car with stickers isn't my choice of decoration. 

Emil

« Reply #102 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:38 pm »

RDavidson

« Reply #103 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:48 pm »
It seems the Prius has become the new Love Bug. But VW Beetles were slow because they were heavy and had no power. Priuses are slow because their drivers have no power in their right feet. :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #104 on: 18 Jun 2017, 04:10 pm »
I am 51 years old and I can say that in all my years of driving since I was 16, I have only seen one driver ever get pulled over and cited for driving too slow.  And even then it was only after 7 miles on a single lane road, and when the road went to two lanes he cut into the left lane and got in the way of the cop who had been stuck behind him for 7 miles.  There was a string of well over 100 angry drivers.  And guess what model of car it was?  :duh:
I've been ticketed twice for going too slow. :D Once I was driving my Father's Porsche and it had a mechanical problem so I had to slow to about 45 on a LA freeway. I was trying to reach the next off ramp but he gave me the ticket anyway. The next time was in a notorious rural speed track and I noticed a cop behind me so I slowed down to just under 45 and and he ticketed me !! He just had to fill his quota.  :duh:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #105 on: 18 Jun 2017, 06:02 pm »
Other than the Wiccan stickers (not a fan of any religious mythology), I find most of the endorsed positions positive.  Who doesn't support most of the positions on those bumper stickers.  I like vegetables, and I support humane meat (I always try to get a clean kill when shooting deer or quail).  I want world peace.  But plastering my car with stickers isn't my choice of decoration.

I avoided posting the one's with Pro-Obama/Pro-Clinton/Pro-Bernie/Pro-Democrat/Anti-Bush/Anti-Republican bumper stickers. There are plenty of those. That in itself is another reason to hate Prius's and Prius drivers.

You are free to eat what you want, where you want, how you want, and when you want. But vegetarianism (and some of the other decal's intension's) are an extension of Liberal though.

Wanting World Peace/Anti-War is an extension of Liberal though. Nobody wants war, but that is usually followed by Anti-Military sediment.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #106 on: 18 Jun 2017, 06:12 pm »
Well, this thread certainly is 'interesting'. First, I wish to state that I have no hatred for Prius drivers; individuals are individuals, and there are assholes in all categories into which one could box a person. I think the worst Kool-Aid one can drink is the belief that problems or solutions are simple. Our species has absolutely contributed to, and is accelerating climate change (which is a more complex issue than simply warming), which is not equivalent to saying that we caused it. Our species has literally transformed this planet and I can't imagine there is anyone in this thread who would deny that obvious fact – forests didn't evolve into cities of steel, concrete and hydro-carbons, crawling with millions of boxes that burn fossil fuels in order to move. It is a problem. It is serious. It needs a solution. The Prius is an interesting solution, but it's not as positive as it appears on the surface. Ultimately, batteries are not the way forward, but they were a great first step.

It should be noted that about a fifth of an automobile's total emissions (average) have already been released before it's driven off the lot. Batteries require mining for nickel, lithium, and other rare-earth metals, leading inexorably to pollution (from a collection hazard standpoint, it's not much different from drilling for oil). Most such materials are sourced from China, where environmental restrictions are (for now, anyway) much looser. That's not good, as it results in aggressive methods of extraction with far greater environmental impact. Hybrids also belch ten times the amount of sulfur oxide as a conventional gasoline auto, while their carbon dioxide emissions aren't even cut in half (not close). Even worse, for numerous reasons, the energy cost in producing a hybrid is considerably greater than that of a conventional car.

I think the Prius deserves recognition as a great first attempt. Toyota not only proved that there were ways to address the issue, but that there was a market for such a product. In the same way, I view the Tesla as a great second step, but it's still burdened with those awful batteries. Why not ditch both fossil fuels and batteries? Honda's Clarity utilizes a hydrogen fuel cell to produce the electricity. It's still not perfect, (hydrogen is plentiful enough; it's just stuck really firmly to other elements) but I believe we can develop the technology which will solve the problems we created. Already, it requires no more energy (per mile driven) to separate hydrogen from oxygen than it does to produce gasoline.

The biggest problem is one of attitude. Unless we acknowledge our role in the problems we face, how will we ever find the motivation to solve them? This isn't a partisan issue, but it's definitely a parochial one; it affects the whole planet – the home we all share. Human Mediated Climate Change isn't Kool-Aid; it's a fact that science has exposed. Facts do not care about our opinions, which is a fact that makes the wrong opinion deadly.

(soapbox dismounted - apology issued)   

GregC

« Reply #107 on: 18 Jun 2017, 06:49 pm »
I've been ticketed twice for going too slow. :D Once I was driving my Father's Porsche and it had a mechanical problem so I had to slow to about 45 on a LA freeway. I was trying to reach the next off ramp but he gave me the ticket anyway. The next time was in a notorious rural speed track and I noticed a cop behind me so I slowed down to just under 45 and and he ticketed me !! He just had to fill his quota.  :duh:

To collect and deter... sorry those do not sound like justified citations.

GregC

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jun 2017, 06:52 pm »
Vegetarian = Indian word for bad hunter

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:59 pm »
It's too bad that there aren't more women audiophiles (if there is such a thing) on this forum for a little more diversity. I know of only one woman here. It is obvious that 90% of the posters are angry middle aged and older men. It's amazing to see so much hostility focused on the poor Prius driver. I find that slow drivers in the fast lane drive all sorts of cars, RV's and trucks but that doesn't fit neatly into a cultural prejudice slot. That slot encompasses a whole bunch of  horribles including vegetarianism, environmentalism, etc.

GregC

« Reply #110 on: 18 Jun 2017, 08:34 pm »
It's too bad that there aren't more women audiophiles (if there is such a thing) on this forum for a little more diversity. I know of only one woman here. It is obvious that 90% of the posters are angry middle aged and older men. It's amazing to see so much hostility focused on the poor Prius driver. I find that slow drivers in the fast lane drive all sorts of cars, RV's and trucks but that doesn't fit neatly into a cultural prejudice slot. That slot encompasses a whole bunch of  horribles including vegetarianism, environmentalism, etc.

If the "poor" Prius driver was considerate, and would not enforce a 55 MPH pace in the left lane on a 65 MPH freeway with miles of open roadway ahead of them, then there would be no hostility.  When stopped in a long string of slow traffic on the freeway, my wife assumes it is either an accident or a self indulgent Prius driver.  She is neither middle aged nor angry.

soundbitten1

« Reply #111 on: 18 Jun 2017, 08:56 pm »
Love my Prius. Had it for 6 years. Would definitely buy another one.  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:16 pm »
We (American guys) detest any econobox because its a symbol of loss and regret.  Loss of earlier, simpler, and more innocent days.  When a teenage boy could (afford to) buy and fix up a "classic".  When gas was $0.30 a gallon and stations were on every corner.

The price of gas really hasn't changed so much ....

https://energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-915-march-7-2016-average-historical-annual-gasoline-pump-price-1929-2015

mix4fix

• Volunteer

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #114 on: 18 Jun 2017, 10:20 pm »
If the "poor" Prius driver was considerate, and would not enforce a 55 MPH pace in the left lane on a 65 MPH freeway with miles of open roadway ahead of them, then there would be no hostility.  When stopped in a long string of slow traffic on the freeway, my wife assumes it is either an accident or a self indulgent Prius driver.  She is neither middle aged nor angry.
Is that really your experience? Where all of these slow Prius drivers when I'm out on the road? Unless this is a very recent development, I just don't see it. Up until a year ago my job had me driving a minimum of 500 miles a week and I don't recall one time where I thought that slow MF in the fast lane's in a Prius. And to get my work done from one location to another I spent a lot of time in the fast lane.

My 86-year-old dad drives a Prius, so maybe it's him you're seeing. His driving habits have zero to do with the model car he drives.

ANd while we're bitching, WTF happened to this page?

srb

« Reply #115 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:26 pm »
And while we're bitching, WTF happened to this page?

Someone thought it would be a good idea to upload a 2000px x 1333px photo.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #116 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:44 pm »
If the "poor" Prius driver was considerate, and would not enforce a 55 MPH pace in the left lane on a 65 MPH freeway with miles of open roadway ahead of them,...
This is just angry bullshit. 

Scott F.

« Reply #117 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:02 am »
Vegetarian = Indian word for bad hunter

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

...funny but true  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #118 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:03 am »
We all know that everyone's experiences, as stated here, should be taken as nothing more than anecdotal info until someone publishes an in-depth study on the topic. And if you have a Prius and are a good driver, then obviously much of what has been said here doesn't apply to you. Start a thread on the distracted, SUV-driving, soccer parent if you want. I'm sure that thread will get a mix of funny, serious, and crude anecdotal responses too. I think some of us just like to bash the bad Prius driver as a scapegoat. More often than not, the bad drivers (I've seen) are driving all types of cars...usually not even hybrids. It is the self-righteousness of the few Prius drivers that give all Prius drivers a bad rap, unfortunately.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 19 Jun 2017, 03:34 pm »
We all know that everyone's experiences, as stated here, should be taken as nothing more than anecdotal info until someone publishes an in-depth study on the topic. And if you have a Prius and are a good driver, then obviously much of what has been said here doesn't apply to you. Start a thread on the distracted, SUV-driving, soccer parent if you want. I'm sure that thread will get a mix of funny, serious, and crude anecdotal responses too. I think some of us just like to bash the bad Prius driver as a scapegoat. More often than not, the bad drivers (I've seen) are driving all types of cars...usually not even hybrids. It is the self-righteousness of the few Prius drivers that give all Prius drivers a bad rap, unfortunately.

Studies can be biased, especially when they are conducted or concluded by the type of person who has an agenda (who drives or endorses said subject matter vehicle).