Should I Go To RMAF?

Occam

Re: Should I Go To RMAF?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2009, 05:44 am »
Well, its going to be my first RMAF. Its high time I get the opportunity to alienate folks in person, rather than though the cold impersonal medium of the internet.

Tuan - Congratulations!!! Going on 34 years of wedded blitz. The whole marriage/family thing has been/is an absolute hoot! I truly wish it as much fun and satisfaction for you.

-Paul

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2009, 09:51 pm »

Good choice, please leave female jazz vocalists such as Patricia Barber, Dianna Krall etc at home and bring something that you would love to hear. The above mentioned can make a sony gettoblaster sound good and I am tearing my hair out by mid day.

Suggest you take some time to make a short list of gear you know you can't see or hear where you live and spend some quality time in those rooms, but do see it all if you can. Have fun.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian,

No worries there.  On my short but definite list will be Ray Lamontagne (the best new artist IMHO), Ben Harper, Van THE MAN Morrison, James Taylor -- Notice a pattern here?  Old and in the Way has a clean sound and is a must for auditioning.

Maybe the newest album from The Black Crowes (it is a little different than their normal stuff) and possibly some Gov't Mule. 

James

iGrant

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:18 am »
Ian,

No worries there.  On my short but definite list will be Ray Lamontagne (the best new artist IMHO), Ben Harper, Van THE MAN Morrison, James Taylor -- Notice a pattern here?  Old and in the Way has a clean sound and is a must for auditioning.

Maybe the newest album from The Black Crowes (it is a little different than their normal stuff) and possibly some Gov't Mule. 

James

I've been listening to a lot of James Taylor lately, having just scored a lot of his old albums on vinyl, great music and very decent recordings. Just noticed you have Emerald Physics speakers, I heard both offerings at RMAF last year, they were a few doors down and though I didn't get to see the whole show, they got my nod as my favourite sounding speaker system at the show.

Cheers,
Ian

Val

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:35 pm »
Three days to go! :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 6 Oct 2009, 06:36 am »
cloudbaseracer / James....

Did you enjoy the show ?

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:47 pm »
Yes, it was very good.  I was there from bell to bell each day.  Visited several rooms more than once trying to decide on possible new equipment and feel like I saw almost everything. I was able to rule out some rooms because they did not offer full range speakers. 

One room that was amazing in sound and PRICE was the Win tube amps!  Small monitors but a huge deep soundstage and a huge price of 145k per amp.  These guys are absolutely crazy!! I knew I would see this stuff but it just amazes me the audacity of these manufacturers.  I guess if you only plan on selling 2 units then you must get all you can.   

One thing I really paid attention to was the amount of room treatments used.  Some rooms sounded really good and didn't have any and others looked like they were overdone but still didn't sound good.  The ones that I worried about were the ones that sound good but had a tremendous amount of treatments.  I know room treatment is a prime area for attention but I have to maintain something that looks like decent.  Those make it hard to really know what you are listening to.

Overall it was great time.

James

vinyl_lady

« Reply #26 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:57 pm »
Cloudbaseracer/James,

I enjoyed meeting you and glad you were able to join us for dinner Friday night. How do you like your Panasonic Blu Ray player, both as a a player and as a transport? I am using a Denon 3910 as my DVD player and CD transport. The Denon is good in both respects, but not Blu Ray? I am in the market for a good Blu Ray player that can double as my CD transport the few times when I am not playing vinyl :). Glad to hear you had fun at the show.

Laura

Pez

« Reply #27 on: 6 Oct 2009, 04:06 pm »
James, it was a blast man, really it was! Wish we could have hung out more! You are definitely going to have to make it next year.  :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:53 pm »
I also had a blast! I met PEZ and Tyson and scores of other AC members as well as other owners. There are many exhibit rooms, seminars, and vinyl and CDs for sale in the lobby. Friday night, Oneinthepipe, Ecramer, Paul and others had a grate time. Twitch45 and Lonewolfny42 were around all weekend as well.

I've learned first hand that AC is truly something special and there are real humans behind the words and sometimes goofy avatars and once you meet them, you have a new respect for them and a kinship that makes you realize that these are very special people.

My experience will be a lifetime memory. Thanks to all that came to the Salk/AVA room to meet!

Wayner  :D

Pez

« Reply #29 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:04 pm »
Well said Wayner! It's nice to meet everyone. We get so many opportunities to chat online, but it is a very different thing to meet everyone in person. Loved the AVA/Salk guys. :thumb:

Wayner, can you send me detailed instructions on how you made those amazing speaker cables? They were HUGE!!! :P

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:24 pm »
Thanks Pez!

The other thing that is fun at the RMAF is that you get to meet famous people. Here I am with Michael Fremer. He's a real nice guy and fun to talk to. He also has 5 times as many LPs as I do!

Wayner  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 7 Oct 2009, 04:51 am »
Wayner...

The other thing that is fun at the RMAF is that you get to meet famous people. Here I am with Michael Fremer. He's a real nice guy and fun to talk to. He also has 5 times as many LPs as I do!

You should make it to one of topround's Rave's one day....MF lives close by (he's been to a few)...you could check out his collection.... :wink: