Looking for solo piano recommendations

jawks

Re: Looking for solo piano recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2019, 12:20 pm »
Anything by Dave McKenna!

strateahed

« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
A couple of others mentioned Bill Evans. Highly recommend "The Solo Sessions, Vol 1". Beautiful music ... I have it on vinyl. Hard to believe anyone would rate it less than 5 stars.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2019, 07:15 pm »
Allow me suggest the refinated minimalist piano solo music from La Monte Young - The Well-Tuned Piano (Full Album, 1987, Microtonal, Minimalism, USA) a 5 CD box set its not to everyone though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfWV4rNB6KE

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2019, 07:33 pm »
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tsuyoshi-yamamoto-mn0000843007/discography
I affortubate to own some Yamamoto Trio SACDs as Mysty and Midnight Sugar, great music and sound quality from FIM.

Also recommed the remastered Three Blind Mice mono SACD recorded live at Ginparis, Tokyo in 26June1963 with a set of experiencied local musicians:
Track 1. Hideto Kanai/Kunimitsu Inaba (bass), Masahiko Togashi (drums), Masayuki Takayanagi (guitar)
Track 2. Hideto Kanai (bass), Masahiko Togashi (drums), Masabumi Kikuchi (piano)
Track 3. Kunimitsu Inaba (bass), Hiroshi Yamazaki (drums), Sadanori Nakamure (guitar), Terumasa Hino (trumpet)
Track 4. Hideto Kanai (bass), Masahiko Togashi (drums), Kyohei Uyama (guitar), Yosuke Yamashita (piano)
Three Blind Mice TBM-CD-1809 mono CD, SACD code is MHCP-10023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ta2hiXPUQ

GerryD

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2019, 09:05 pm »
"Spectrum", the new Hiromi album is a good listen.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2019, 10:26 pm »
I have many hundred piano recordings... some great music, some great performances, and a few great sound.  Piano is sooo hard to get "right", and even "right" depends on so many factors.  What's the setting? Where are you seated?  Club? Concert Hall? Or on the stool as you play.... it's all very different.  But ONE recording stands out.  If you want to know that it sounds like to play a concert grand in a decent size space pick up a copy of David Fung  "Evening Conversations" from Yarlung Records.  On cd or HD Tracks, it's the most stunningly realistic recording of piano I've ever heard.  This recording is what the artist hears. 

Of course, you can get damn near anything by Bill Evans and you'll simply be stunned by what he does.