Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade

MichaelBliss

Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #240 on: 30 Nov 2020, 06:47 pm »
I just spent a couple hours taking the speaker back apart..going crazy looking for the cause of the buzzing in the left tweeter...during "Locomotive Breath"...   Loose screw?  I didn't wrap the wires in foam like the originals..was that it....  Can't figure it out...then just googled it in case it's the recording.   It's the recording.  Starts at around 3:30. :duh:

But really..wtf is up with recordings like that?   I guess the fact it only buzzes during that one song should have been a clue.

vlad335

« Reply #241 on: 1 Dec 2020, 09:40 pm »
We are still working some kinks out of the new website. Shoot me an email and I'll quote you the true shipping cost.

Email sent. Request shipping quote to Pa 15650 for 504c and 8000f kits.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2020, 09:42 pm by vlad335 »

vlad335

« Reply #242 on: 1 Dec 2020, 10:20 pm »
I just spent a couple hours taking the speaker back apart..going crazy looking for the cause of the buzzing in the left tweeter...during "Locomotive Breath"...   Loose screw?  I didn't wrap the wires in foam like the originals..was that it....  Can't figure it out...then just googled it in case it's the recording.   It's the recording.  Starts at around 3:30. :duh:

But really..wtf is up with recordings like that?   I guess the fact it only buzzes during that one song should have been a clue.

I played the song via Youtube on my very accurate PC system ( JBL 4326 calbrated monitors). I think this is a good test for a speakers accuracy.

Never heard that before. Granted I haven't heard the song in years but this is very horrible sounding. My wife even said, "Its sounds like something is wrong with the left speaker."

angtrumpeter

« Reply #243 on: 3 Dec 2020, 10:23 pm »
I hear the sound on both my modified Klipsch and my Magnepapan 1.6 QR's through a YouTube recording.  It is easier to hear on the Klipsch...

Almost sounds like a guiro to me, at least in timbre and percussiveness.

I played the song via Youtube on my very accurate PC system ( JBL 4326 calbrated monitors). I think this is a good test for a speakers accuracy.

Never heard that before. Granted I haven't heard the song in years but this is very horrible sounding. My wife even said, "Its sounds like something is wrong with the left speaker."

MichaelBliss

« Reply #244 on: 4 Dec 2020, 04:22 am »

For me, it's waaay worse on the version on Tidal.  I notice distortion on youtube but on Tidal it sounds like something's torn.  I think I read somewhere it's a torn mic membrane.   Funny how a lot of music has all sorts of hidden dimension just waiting to be unlocked  with your audiophile equipment..then other blockbusters like Aqualung, can be surprising in a bad way.   One thing's for sure is Danny's upgrade has improved the clarity on these Klipsch RP-600Ms. 

vlad335

« Reply #245 on: 18 Dec 2020, 11:20 pm »
OK, finally ordered the 504C and 8000F kits.

The big catalyst was going through my SACD collection and hearing high resolution through my front stage as opposed to my side/rear surrounds. (These are JBL 8330 which are incredible at music and movie playback.) The SACD of Pink Floyd's DSOTM and on the track Money the cash register sounds pan around between the two rear surrounds and front speakers. (The disc plays in 4 channel.) The sound between the two different sets of speakers was night and day. I could definitely hear the midrange hole.
Playing my Bluray concert music discs confirmed this. These speakers are OK for movies but my system requires a bit more.

I do love the Klipsch for their amazing dynamics and how lively they present themselves. However, flatten the response without killing the dynamics and these would be world class speakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #246 on: 18 Dec 2020, 11:23 pm »
Then you are going to love them after the upgrades.

mdminc

« Reply #247 on: 25 Dec 2020, 12:54 am »
Thanks Danny.  I’ve been also enjoying your YouTube channel.

MichaelBliss

« Reply #248 on: 25 Dec 2020, 04:47 pm »
Hey Danny - do you know if the sensitivity of the speakers is affected by the upgrade one way or another?    Is this something you can measure?   What I'm really wondering is if I can power these with a Zen Triode tube amp that's like 2.3 watts.

Merry Christmas!  :xmas:

Danny Richie

« Reply #249 on: 26 Dec 2020, 03:20 pm »
Hey Danny - do you know if the sensitivity of the speakers is affected by the upgrade one way or another?    Is this something you can measure?   What I'm really wondering is if I can power these with a Zen Triode tube amp that's like 2.3 watts.

Merry Christmas!  :xmas:

The factory sensitivity is no where near where they claim it to be. You can see the measured responses here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4xI5VXR_o&t=97s

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #250 on: 26 Dec 2020, 04:24 pm »
The factory sensitivity is no where near where they claim it to be. You can see the measured responses here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4xI5VXR_o&t=97s

Most reviews I've seen show that the realistic sensitivity is closer to 89dB. Still pretty good for a bookshelf, but definitely not at sensitive as the marketing would suggest.

bogdan111

« Reply #251 on: 31 Dec 2020, 04:26 pm »
Hi, new to this forum. I just bought the rp-504c upgrade and waiting for it to arrive. Any pointers as to where to find info on this build would be appreciated. I am particularly unsure which wires go to which speakers from the crossover.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #252 on: 1 Jan 2021, 04:50 am »
There should be a schematic with the kit to show you what goes where. 

bogdan111

« Reply #253 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:58 pm »
Great, thanks! It's good to know there is such a big forum for support for things like this.

JasonS

« Reply #254 on: 4 Jan 2021, 03:04 am »
Finished the RP-600m upgrade today. It was my first time in the DIY world. Overall the process was pretty smooth. I used a lot of of the info and pics from this thread to get through it so thanks for all the info!

Overall impressions with a couple hours of listening: I hear stronger and tighter base and midrange. The top-end definitely seems toned down to me. Not as sharp or forward as they were. I also hear more clarity, I assume from the tube connectors but I did not wire up the jumper wires to the original binding posts so I can't be sure. I'm super happy with the results! Now I just need to figure out the hum from my phono stage to break out some vinyl.

angtrumpeter

« Reply #255 on: 9 Jan 2021, 06:34 pm »
Nice job Jason!

My impressions mirrored yours.  Now I need to try the Magnepan 1.6 crossover...

MichaelBliss

« Reply #256 on: 17 Jan 2021, 01:48 am »
After a few hundred hours of listening, the speakers sound even better than they did at the start. 

How are you guys positioning these in terms of toe-in?   Any opinions?  I've been experimenting and they sound best toed in a bit, but that could be my room, which isn't symmetrical so the toe-in is helping minimize the impact of the first wall reflection I believe.  I'm listening to them about 8 feet away, toed in a good 30 degrees or so I could measure but I'm eye balling.  I'm getting a decent stereo image locked in the centre pretty much, which I wasn't getting with them not toed in.  I'm curious if Danny has an informed opinion on this too! 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #257 on: 17 Jan 2021, 02:36 am »
You should check out Ron's guide for waveguide speakers! :thumb:

https://youtu.be/K1NP-s2p_pw

MichaelBliss

« Reply #258 on: 17 Jan 2021, 04:03 am »
You should check out Ron's guide for waveguide speakers! :thumb:

https://youtu.be/K1NP-s2p_pw

Wow, that's great, just did and yeah that's what I was looking for. I never thought to be so aggressive, but in my case, the room isn't symmetrical and the image was being thrown toward  the wall side of the room, toeing them in even harder really has an effect.  I'd say it's probably a matter of taste..it sounds like the sound is in front of me, rather than directed at me..which makes sense, since that's what's happening.  Thanks Hobssmeerkat!

JasonS

« Reply #259 on: 26 Jan 2021, 11:55 pm »
So I tried a friends Cambridge Cxa81 with the RP's prior to the upgrade and it was just too bright and forward. I tried it again after and loved it. I bought one. Sounds great IMO.