Triode Wire Labs at Rocky Mountain AudioFest

Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs at Rocky Mountain AudioFest
« on: 5 Oct 2018, 06:52 pm »
Enjoying setting up the system with fellow AC Sponsor Vinnie Rossi... His new L2 Signature amps & preamp are phenomenal!

The system with Harbeth 40th Anniversary edition 40.2’s with the TWL cable loom is synergistically amazing.

Even Paul Speltz from Anti-Cables wanted to take credit for the exceptional sound! LOL!

Cheers,
Pete

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Triode Wire Labs at Rocky Mountain AudioFest
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2018, 07:22 pm »
Pete,

I think I heard a rumor that suggests if I buy three 5' Obsession PCs at your regular price, those 40.2 speakers would be mine at no extra cost! [I like this sort of rumor.]  :thumb:

Have fun!

Michael

Triode Pete

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2018, 07:38 pm »
Pete,

I think I heard a rumor that suggests if I buy three 5' Obsession PCs at your regular price, those 40.2 speakers would be mine at no extra cost! [I like this sort of rumor.]  :thumb:

Have fun!

Michael

Ha-ha, Michael!

How about more pics instead?

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm »
Packed all day Friday, Day 1!!!

Great sound & DeeJaying by Vinnie “Goom-Bots”

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2018, 03:23 pm »
Some early reports from Part Time Audiophile...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/10/06/rmaf-2018-must-see-rooms-of-friday/

Must See Rooms

Vinnie Rossi, Harbeth, Triode Wire Labs- Room 4024

Vinnie is showing off his latest and greatest L2 Signature Preamplifiers and L2 Monoblocks, which handle a slew Harbeth speakers (big and small) extraordinarily well. Harbeth’s 40.2 Anniversary flat-out rock the house when tethered Vinnie’s new mono-block powerhouses. Without any doubt, a must see room at the show.

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2018, 12:00 pm »
A show report from Audiophilia... https://audiophiliarmaf2018.blogspot.com/2018/10/vinnie-rossi-harbeth.html

VINNIE ROSSI & HARBETH
Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature Preamplifier ($14,995), L2 Signature Monoblocks  ($14,995/pair), Harbeth Monitor 40.2 Loudspeaker ($17,990).

Lovely sound, typical of Harbeth and its legendary status. Great bass, too. And massive for a Harbeth! Vinnie Rossi continues to make some of the most intriguing electronics, highly adaptable and sounding superb.

Wire by Triode Wire Labs. Very good and reasonably priced.

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2018, 01:55 am »

Room 2024 with Vinnie Rossi was added to their short list of
"Great Rooms of RMAF 2018," here:  https://audiophiliarmaf2018.blogspot.com/2018/10/great-rooms-and-best-of-show.html

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:42 pm »
   SOOOOOOO what is that TWL distribution box or conditioner in the photo ??

charles

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2018, 04:02 pm »
   SOOOOOOO what is that TWL distribution box or conditioner in the photo ??
charles

Yeah, Pete - tell us some more about it  :wink:

Triode Pete

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2018, 09:44 pm »
Yeah, Pete - tell us some more about it  :wink:

I have both a power distributor & "state of the art" power conditioner in slow development...

With a little help from my friends (Vinnie & Dave)...

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2018, 12:24 am »
Some superb coverage from Stereophile's Jason Victor Serinus as follows...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wire-rmaf-day-3

Up to the Wire on RMAF

"Warmth and midrange smoothness were the strengths of a Vinnie Rossi/Triode Wire Labs / Harbeth loudspeaker system comprised of the new Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature preamplifier ($14,995, or $21,985 including the optional new L2 DAC module and L2 phono stage), new Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature monoblocks ($14,995/pair), Harbeth 40.2 40th Anniversary Edition loudspeakers ($17,990/pair), and Triode Wire Labs cabling. A Mozart LP sounded absolutely warm and lovely. Without power conditioning, however, it was hard to avoid noticing an edge on violin on my 24/48 files of Lou Harrison's Violin Concerto, and an equally sharp edge on a 24/96 file of soprano Sandrine Piau singing Loewe (from Chimère) to Susan Manoff's piano accompaniment.

Having said that, drums and percussion were depicted with excellence, the low tones of piano and instruments were conveyed with perfection, and the artistry and emotion of all concerned came through loud and clear. In fact, the brilliance of music and interpretation was such that, for one of the rare times in my 15 years at audio shows, absolutely no one left the room or even fidgeted during a long piece of relatively obscure, heart-rending German lieder that was impeccably sung with deep feeling. This is a tribute not only to Vinnie Rossi, Harbeth, and Triode Wire, but also to the quality of show attendees whom Vinnie tends to attract. Thank you, one and all."

Thank you, Jason!!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2018, 03:59 pm »
Nice write up. No power conditioning ? That is a surprise.

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2018, 04:08 pm »
Nice write up. No power conditioning ? That is a surprise.

charles

Was maxed out with cables & luggage at 50 lbs.

Vinnie & I will have power conditioning at the New York Audio Show!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2018, 04:40 pm »
Vinnie & I will have power conditioning at the New York Audio Show!
What kind?

Triode Pete

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2018, 02:39 am »
What kind?

I’ll be bringing one of my UberBUSSes to the show...

We’ll have them at Capital AudioFest as well...

Cheers,
Pete

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2018, 02:58 am »
It's pronounced OooooooooooobahBUSS  :green:

Triode Pete

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2018, 02:00 pm »
Some superb feedback from Eric Franklin Shook with Part Time Audiophile...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/10/24/rmaf-2018-vinnie-rossi-triode-wire-labs-harbeth-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts/

RMAF 2018: Vinnie Rossi, Triode Wire Labs, Harbeth; More than the sum of its parts

The Story
The other popular room with Vinnie Rossi electronics at the show. Or was the other room, the other room? Either way, you can read about “the other room” HERE. This time the new Vinnie Rossi electronics were paired with a monstrously good set of 40th Anniversary Edition Harbeth 40.2 Monitors. Starting at the top, the new L2 Signature Pre-amplifier (starting at $14,999 USD) which is Class-A “ultra-wide bandwidth” directly heated triode (DHT) pre-amplifier, which means the DHT design allows the end-user to expand well into exotic tube rolling. The L2 preamplifier is compatible with 2A3, 45, 300B, PX4, 101D, 205D, SV811 and other 4-pin HDT families of tubes. More features include dual-mono power supply with Belleson super regulators, a discrete 64-step ladder volume control using Pickering England silent relays, and finally as options go — a DAC module at $3,495 USD that does 32-bit / 768khz, DSD up to DSD512, using dual AK4977EQ converters, a (of course discrete) Class-A output stage, buffer and re-clocking, and a Phonostage module also at $3,495 USD. Powering the behemoth Harbeth monitors were a pair of the (also new) L2 Signature Mono-block Amplifiers at ($14,995 USD) true class-A/AB Mosfet in topology, outputting 75 watts into 8-ohms, and 140 watts into 4-ohms, they are also 2-ohm stable if needed. Speaking of power, try 100,000uF of low ESR power supply rail capacitance and each with a custom-wound 500VA power transformer. Each housed in a half-inch thick aluminum chassis, with WBT and Neutrik connectors.

The unsung hero of many shows is the cabling. I get it, no one walks by a room at an audio show and says to themselves, “Oh look! Cables!” However, when you get home, you know you’ll be online doing research on the cables that might take your system to that next level. I know cables can be a divisive and controversial topic between those who can hear the differences and the deaf. But I’ll spare us diving into that seemingly endless (and pointless) war.

Triode Wire Labs meticulously and proudly produces a hand-made product right here in the USA, and that should make you happy. Not just from patriotic or political reasons, but from an anthropological standpoint. How many things are made in the USA today? And how long was that window of American production actually open? Not long, maybe from WWII till the early ‘80s? Either way you slice it, that window is closing quickly. So, if you like rarities — buy American too.

Starting at the top, Triode Wire Labs’ “Discrete” USB cable ($299 ea USD), “Spirit II” RCA interconnects ($399 pr USD) were throughout the system. Special about the “Spirit II” is it’s use of Ohno Continuous Cast 7N copper. From the amplifiers, a sturdy set of “American Speaker Cables” (starting at $699 pr USD) were connected to the Harbeths, and standing strong behind the music were a gaggle of TWL power cables. The “Seven Plus” (starting at $549 USD) power cable was used on each mono-block, a single “Digital American” (starting at $499 USD) power cable was used specifically for the L2 preamplifier. Finally a “Ten Plus” (starting at $399 USD) was used to connect the Acoustic Signature to a funky and cute little power strip-box that I did not inquire about, but am curious. This offering of interconnects, and power cables is not TWL’s most esoteric offering, however here they were being paired with what I consider state of the art electronics. Considering the buzz about this room, and likely glowing media reports that follow, how many will take into account that this best-of-show sounding room was wired-in with Triode Wire Labs more affordable gear? Not many. Sad isn’t it.

The Sound
I’m not used to this level of focus, and up-front scale dominating my personal space, but I am familiar with the Harbeth sound. In every way, this felt more like a recording studio than it did a hotel room or mimicked home environment. Insight was available by the boatload. Bass attack, fast, but not bloated or overly thumpy. Mid-range, what I consider to be signature Harbeth, but turned upward and wider that I know from my previously smaller Harbeth experiences. Treble was where, for me, things shined. The insight came from imaging that hung afloat in the middle of the room like an apparition. Ironically, just in time for the upcoming Halloween holiday, and yet also a little bit scary.

During my time in the room, we didn’t go into the digital realm, and to be honest, I don’t feel cheated.

The System
Vinnie Rossi
– L2 Signature Preamplifier – $14,995 USD (with L2 DAC and Phonostage – $21,985 USD)

– L2 DAC (module) – $3,495 USD

– L2 Phonostage (module) – $3,495 USD

– L2 Signature Mono-block Amplifiers – $14,995 pr USD

Harbeth
– Monitor 40.2 40th Anniversary Edition – $17,990 pr USD

Triode Wire Labs
– Seven Plus Power Cable – starting at $549 USD

– Digital American Power Cable – starting at $499 USD

– Ten Plus Power Cable – starting at $399 USD

– American Speaker Cable w/Cardas CAB Bananas – starting at $699 pr USD

– Spirit II interconnects – starting at $399 pr USD

– Discrete USB Cable (90 ohm) – starting at $299 USD

Thanks, Eric!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm »
Some final additional coverage from Jay Leong from Audio Bacon!!!

https://audiobacon.net/2018/10/30/rmaf-2018-photo-tour-coverage/2/

"Triode Wire Labs – They make some of the best power cords out there."

"If you ever wanted to hear a pair of Harbeth 40.2 speakers ($17,990/pr) disappear in a room, pair them new Vinnie Rossi gear and Triode Wire Labs cabling. Vinnie Rossi debuts his L2 Signature Preamplifier with DAC and Phono ($14,995) and Monoblocks ($21,985) at RMAF 2018. Along with eye-opening clarity, imaging, and soundstage depth, these L2s were some of the best looking pieces of audio gear. That CNC-machined aluminum chassis is just sick."

Thanks, Jay!!!

Probably the last bit of coverage from RMAF!!!!

Packing up & heading to Capital AudioFest tomorrow morning!!!

Cheers,
Pete

GregC

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:03 am »
Pete's cables are stellar and so is his customer service.  If you buy a couple cables then plan to be smitten and go back for more.