Hi from Belfast

ho66es

Hi from Belfast
« on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:07 pm »
Hi everyone, looking forward to participating on here. I tend to tinker a bit and change kit a lot (mainly old 2nd hand stuff.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi from Belfast
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:13 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle :thumb:
There is great audio equip on the used market some times.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:20 pm »
2nd hand can save you a lot of money if you're constantly shaking things up.  :D

Welcome to Audio Circle.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:35 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC ho66es    :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:58 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ho66es

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:24 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle :thumb:
There is great audio equip on the used market some times.

I will keep my eye open, thinking of a pair of open baffle speakers or maybe horns as I love the sound of my frugal horns.

ho66es

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:25 pm »
2nd hand can save you a lot of money if you're constantly shaking things up.  :D

Welcome to Audio Circle.

my preferred method of purchase these days :)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:31 pm »
I will keep my eye open, thinking of a pair of open baffle speakers or maybe horns as I love the sound of my frugal horns.
Seems you already are in the top, Frugalhorn are the best horn IMO and at a great price.

ho66es

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:42 pm »
Seems you already are in the top, Frugalhorn are the best horn IMO and at a great price.

Listening to Lana Del Rey on them at the moment. here's a pic from the other day of this room (i have another system in the living room).

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2020, 01:24 am »
What is burning in the grate?  Any special  beverages???
Welcome.

Alan

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2020, 04:11 am »
Hi everyone, looking forward to participating on here. I tend to tinker a bit and change kit a lot (mainly old 2nd hand stuff.

I've been married twice, too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:12 am »
Welcome!

Nice room.

Realize that frugal horns are more like a typical single driver speaker than a "normal" horn loaded speaker and like open baffles are best suited for large spaces and have completely different presentations.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2020, 02:52 pm »
They need space around too.

ho66es

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2020, 07:25 pm »
What is burning in the grate?  Any special  beverages???
Welcome.

Alan

that's peat briquettes in the grate, my tipple of choice is Whiskey, and sometimes Whisky and quite often ale :)

ho66es

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2020, 07:36 pm »
Welcome!

Nice room.

Realize that frugal horns are more like a typical single driver speaker than a "normal" horn loaded speaker and like open baffles are best suited for large spaces and have completely different presentations.

They need space around too.

Space is at a bit of a premium sadly in both my listening rooms, I love the sound of the frugals, from memory the room is 3m x 3m and my other room is 3m x 4m in both the speaker to ear distance is more like 2m though. If you were to suggest a full range single driver solution for the room (preferably using the same drivers) what would it be?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm »
Not sure what drivers are these, there is few options worth to try, I like FH and big Bass Reflex boxes, hardly better than FH. You already in the top with FH :thumb:

sailor

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2020, 11:36 am »
Hi and welcome,

Room looks good, now we want to see a pic of the other room.

I am in Co. Limerick in a leaky old cottage that I am renovating. Nearly finished with the living room where I have installed bass traps, absorber panels and diffusers. After sorting out the acoustics my DIY open baffles are sounding amazing.

I also use previously owned and vintage stuff, my prize piece being a Wadia15 DAC.

If you ever find yourself down my side, pop in for the best coffee or a Bushmills. We may be able to do some horse-trading. I have some top of the range Furutech British mains plugs and duplex wall socket I no longer need.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:25 pm »
Space is at a bit of a premium sadly in both my listening rooms, I love the sound of the frugals, from memory the room is 3m x 3m and my other room is 3m x 4m in both the speaker to ear distance is more like 2m though. If you were to suggest a full range single driver solution for the room (preferably using the same drivers) what would it be?

Not sure what drivers you have there.  But around Audio Circle, the obvious choice for single driver speakers is Omega Speakers (they have a circle here with a very loyal following).  Can also recommend Planet 10 (a member here) who is quite knowledgable and sells stock and modified drivers (Fostex, Mark Audio, CSS, and others), kits, and fully assembled speakers.  Both offer monitors and floor standers which should work for your situation.  Omega reportedly uses customized Fostex drivers and Planet 10 driver modification involves EnABL.  I commissioned floor standing transmission line speakers 16 years ago (Martin King inspired) that use Fostex F200a drivers that are unlike typical Fostex drivers (AlNiCo, less efficient, 20 cm with no whizzer, $575 USD each when last available).  I had Bud Purvine, who invented EnABLing, to add the treatment to my drivers. 

Delacroix

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:55 pm »
Welcome --

My family home is in Limerick and I get back there in the summer. We need an Irish AC meet up! 

P.

ho66es

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:09 pm »
Not sure what drivers are these, there is few options worth to try, I like FH and big Bass Reflex boxes, hardly better than FH. You already in the top with FH :thumb:

Fostex 126en's are the current driver