Evan from San Antonio- Hi

satx

Evan from San Antonio- Hi
« on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:42 pm »
Hi all, I'm just introducing myself. Name's Evan and I live in San Antonio, TX

satx

Re: Evan from San Antonio- Hi
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:45 pm »
I read the site all the time, among others, but don't contribute all that much on forums. I signed up to ask the seller of a dac a question about it. I've been designing and building my own speakers for about 10 years, but took a little hiatus from hifi from which I have recently returned. I switched from my mac mini as music server to a bluesound node 2i and Tidal and that has me all fired up again, so to speak. So now I am on a quest to upgrade dac, pre and probably amp eventually

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2020, 09:21 pm »
Welcome Evan :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2020, 09:26 pm »
Hi Evan,

Welcome to Audio Circle. We're all here to help keep the hobby alive.  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2020, 10:45 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Evan   :thumb:

satx

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2020, 10:53 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to be a part of the community

Evan

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:15 pm »
Howdy Evan! Welcome to the AC!

satx

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm »
Howdy Evan! Welcome to the AC!

Thanks and howdy back!

satx

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:20 pm »
Do I just click the notify tab to receive email notifications of new replies?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:25 pm »
Correct.

satx

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:27 pm »
OK, thanks. I figured, but sometimes I just have to ask the obvious question :roll:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2020, 06:44 am »
hope you can make lone star audio fest this year.
http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2020, 10:59 am »
Welcome!

Obvious upgrade to the Node 2i are the $1650 MSRP NAD C658, called a Node 2i on steroids and it also includes <500 Hz version of Dirac room correction.  What I like about it is the balanced design, good for use with professional active monitors. 

More upgrades within the BlueSound/NAD universe:  $2750 MSRP Master Series M10 "streaming amplifier" that is featured similarly to the C658 but adds 100 wpc in a thoroughly modern design and the soon to be released $4999 MSRP M33 (a souped up version of the M10).

I really like my M10.  Gets me away from computers glitches (except as a control option), no software worries, provides the best sound I've ever had with my 16 year old commissioned speakers, very flexible, and is an elegant/mature one box solution that makes upgraditis harder to succumb to. 

satx

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm »
Thanks JLM,

As pure streamer, what would be the advantage of one streamer over any other? I did look at The cambridge units before I bought the node, but it seemed to me that the choices really came down to the software and app implementation. I certainly preferred the looks and build of some other streamers, but the price of the BS couldn't be beat. I liked the blue sound unit when using it's internal dac too, but my intention was never really to use it that way.

Normally I'd be very interested in the dsp functions, but I bought a RME ADI-2 DAC from a fellow AC'er. That was the main reason I signed up here, so that I could communicate with him. It is absolutely fantastic so far btw, stable, quite, lots of features and the sound quality is to die for. I knew it was supposed to sound good, but I'm still a little shocked by it's performance. And I have measurement capabilities, so I can take pretty good advantage of it's eq functions. It's not as good as Dirac, but it's not bad either.  Anyways, I was using MiniDsp, but I wanted to get out from under it's internal dac and do the dsp before the dac, purely digital.

As for the M10, some of Nad's Master series stuff is pretty drool worthy, but I have moved away from all in one units. I bought a Peachtree Nova years ago and almost immediately started using seperate pieces of equipment with it (amp for starters, then pre). I like the all in ones for a bedroom or maybe office, but my main system, I tend to want to play with too much, even though I try not to be a constant upgrader-can't afford it and it drives me a little nuts!

BTW, I saw in another thread a while back (might not have been on here) that you were considering the RME, did you ever get a chance to listen to one?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:43 pm »
Yep, was considering the RME, but never pulled the trigger or heard one.  The only room response measuring device I had was a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core but it's screen was tiny, so the RME's EQ wouldn't have been very helpful.  Also didn't care for the very German use of embedded menus, reminded me of a Behringer DEQ I had years ago - powerful but a bastard to figure out how to use (although the RME looks easier).  Glad the RME has worked well for you.

I tried a Small Green Computer i5 with Roon and ethernet cable, liked the Roon blending local/Tidal feature but it sounded no better than my MacBook Air/iTunes/10ft USB cable, so sent it back.  Also tried a souped up Apple mini with Audirvana, boutique 1 meter USB cable, special power supply, and various hi-res files.  Again sounded no better to me, so sold it on.  Have also tried Amarra but it was glitchy, so gave up on it.  So can't tell you what the advantage of one streamer over another is. 

The all-in-one approach is definitely not the typical audiophile route of constant messing around and trophy displays.  But I've had 40+ years of audio and am ready to settle down.  The M10 was bought in part with downsizing plans in mind, giving up the dedicated room, and sharing the device in a 2.1 audio/HT setup with wife as we move into retirement years. 

satx

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2020, 01:53 pm »
Hey, even without 40 years of addiction, I see the allure. I don't really like tweaking too much. I found out early on that when I'm worried about the gear and "critical listening" that I couldn't relax and really hear the music, just a bunch of sounds basically. It's just that I don't want to have to replace the whole system when I want to upgrade one piece of it. If I was willing to spend as much as all of my gear on one piece then I might be happier, long term, with the results, but I'm cheap.

I also tried the mac mini with ssd and Audirvana and basically hated it. The sound was fine, but no better than what I was using and it was such a hassle to use.

A fifty dollar usb mic and REW is all you really need to take room measurements. It's not all that hard, you just need to upload the mic .cal file and create a .cal file of your computer's internal sound card to compensate for their responses and you're set. Inputing eq on the RME screen isn't ideal, but I'm used to it from the tiny screen on my Behringer inukeDsp sub amps.

I actually found the RME's menus a lot easier than I thought I would. Some reviews made it sound like a Rubik's Cube of menus, but it's quite simple really. I had it down in the first 2 hours, probably 20 minutes of actually using them. I've also found the remote controlled Balance, bass, treble and filters to be really useful. Plus you can save full user presets of all that, eq and more and change them with one button.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2020, 03:11 pm »
Welcome!

satx

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2020, 04:31 pm »
Thanks Phil