Hello Audio Circle Folks

Gargoyle

Hello Audio Circle Folks
« on: 8 Jul 2017, 01:24 am »
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,
                                   I've been a music lover first & foremost since I can remember. My duplex next door neighbor built Heathkit audio in the late '50's & suppose that's where I got my first taste of better sound. At the time I was about 4 & was given my mother's Columbia record player & spun everything from red vinyl classical 45's (given by neighbor) to my Mom's old hit 45's to parakeet training 78's!? Grew up in the '60's & my first real gear was a Lenco 72L & a Kenwood Receiver with some funky ElectroVoice speakers. Over the years I've built my own Heathkit Pro Audio equipment & eventually progressed to my current system of Legacy Focus 20/20, B&K phonostage 10, B&K Reference 5 preamp & Ref.200.1 monoblock amps,Classe CA 200.1 amp, Krell KAV300 CD, Denon DP72L w/Shure V15 Type 5 MRE (since replaced w/JICO SAS). Interconnects are Tara Labs XLR's, Audioquest, Signal Wire speaker wire bi-amped.
                                   My music collection grew over the years from close to 1000 LP's to about the same in CD's & always searching for the best possible recording. The one thing I've learned after getting all equipment optimum & room setup optimum, is that proper mic in the recording studio bears the brunt of what you'll hear (not to mention the mixing factor). Proper speaker placement & room treatment are prime, but the media played is down to a good mic & proper placement in the recording environment  as well.
                                   Enjoy listening to Classic rock, folk, pop, R&B, jazz, classical.....if it's good music, I enjoy!
                                   Also played sax & flute in my youth & college, many performances here & abroad before getting realistic, lol.
                                   Enjoyed attending audio shows, especially if rooms were optimized (rarely). It's not often I hear my own setup bettered at audio shows.
                                   I love audio, but I'm a lover of music first.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2017, 11:40 am by Gargoyle »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hello Audio Circle Folks
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2017, 01:35 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Gargoyle.  :beer:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2017, 10:03 am »
Welcome and thanks for the nice introduction.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Gargoyle   :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm »
Welcome to AC, Gargoyle.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm »
Welcome!

Gargoyle

In The Market To Replace Krell KAV 300CD Player
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2024, 08:40 pm »
Hello,
       I've always spun records since the late '50's. In the late '70's I built the Heathkit Pro Audio equipment they were offering. By the late '80's I was modding the Heathkit speakers by plasticizing the midrange & woofer cones & upgrading to poly caps. By the 2000's I've been utilizing 2 B&K 200.1 monoblocks w/Ref 5 Pre-amp & Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers. Recently lost the use of my Krell KAV 300CD for the 2nd time and considering a Bryston BCD-3. Also have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and recently purchased a SOtM streamer w/seperate SOtM power supply.
       Have always tried to go for the best bang for the music. Would like to upgrade to the Focus XD w/onboard amp.
       Any thoughts, ideas? TY ~Gryphon

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: In The Market To Replace Krell KAV 300CD Player
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2024, 09:38 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

richidoo

Re: In The Market To Replace Krell KAV 300CD Player
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2024, 01:37 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Gryphon!

I had Focus 2020 long ago, and I have Focus SE now. I used Wavelet preamp to make my SE into XD. They are all wonderful speakers! Good luck with your decision.

I would recommend you get Focus SE instead of XD. Imo, the XD line is intended for the pro-audio market where built-in amps are the current trend. The internal ICE amp in XD is a great choice for pro audio, but imo it falls short of Focus' audiophile potential.

PM me if you want to chat more about Focus, or you can start a new thread in the Enclosures Circle.
Rich