Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?

Poultrygeist

Re: Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?
« Reply #280 on: 12 Nov 2019, 11:01 am »
One major problem I have with the Schiit preamps ( and all Schiit gear ) is their board mounted RCA's unlike the DACT which use chassis mounted RCA's. Tight cables can yank those Schiit RCA's right off the board. Ask me how I know.  :(

ginetto61

« Reply #281 on: 12 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm »
One major problem I have with the Schiit preamps ( and all Schiit gear ) is their board mounted RCA's unlike the DACT which use chassis mounted RCA's. Tight cables can yank those Schiit RCA's right off the board. Ask me how I know.  :(   

if you are really convinced about their quality i would think at re-casing them in a nice new enclosure with new panel RCAs
I have the Magni 2 that i love and i am thinking about a new cabinet for it.  The boards from Schiit are pieces of electronic art to my eyes ... very very nice.  They would deserve a transparent cover. 

mhconley

« Reply #282 on: 12 Nov 2019, 01:48 pm »
I see Impedance: 50KΩ  on Amazon ... i guess it is the input impedance ? is not too high ?  i remember an old classic the Placette having a 9kohm of input impedance
Another interesting piece is this one ... more than double the price anyway (the resistors used do not look very high end but could the concept be valid  ?)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Potentiometer-Preamplifier-Attenuator-Preamplifiers/dp/B076D55XSK

from the specs down in the page i see

i would not underestimate the impedance matching issue ... i did some test between a solid state preamp and a SS power amp ... the higher the Zinput of the pot the flatter the sound 
imho i see 10K as a maximun ... if the source is robust i could go even lower to 5k or 2.5k ...
I am very interested in this thread and i thank the Opener ... i am always struggling with line preamps of which i like overall the sound but the gain is not selectable and usually too high.  The option of selectable gain in line preamp should be made mandatory by law ...  :thumb:

I bought one of those from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997802910.html

I am using it in a biamp setup to attenuate the ICEpower amp driving the woofer module on my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE to balance with the 300b PSET amps driving the M/T module.

I am very happy with the unit.

Martin

ginetto61

« Reply #283 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:06 pm »
I bought one of those from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997802910.html   
I am using it in a biamp setup to attenuate the ICEpower amp driving the woofer module on my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE to balance with the 300b PSET amps driving the M/T module.
I am very happy with the unit.
Martin   

Very interesting.  Could you confirm on the input impedance of the unit being 2 kohm as per specs ?  Thanks a lot, gino

mhconley

« Reply #284 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:38 pm »
Very interesting.  Could you confirm on the input impedance of the unit being 2 kohm as per specs ?  Thanks a lot, gino

I have no way to confirm the input impedance.

Martin

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #286 on: 10 Apr 2020, 02:02 pm »
To bring this one back to life: Did anyone try the Nobsound with multiple inputs?
If it sounds equally good that would work perfect for a future project. I would fit the whole box into the enclosure with cheap lm1875-boards and a fairly nice but not yet conceived PSU to build an inexpensive "integrated" amp for my dad.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #287 on: 10 Apr 2020, 02:39 pm »
Did anyone try the Nobsound with multiple inputs?

Which one are you referring to? The $57 unit has two inputs...

vilding

« Reply #288 on: 10 Apr 2020, 04:21 pm »

https://www.doukaudio.com/mini-stereo-4-in-1-out-rca-signal-input-audio-splitter-switcher-volume-controler-p0081.html

I wonder if it uses the same pot and if the multiple outputs introduces any noise. :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #289 on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:12 pm »
I haven’t seen that one until now, but I’m sure it will suffice.

charmerci

« Reply #290 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:16 pm »
Last year, I ordered the what I thought was a 2 output/XLR-RCA one but they sent me a 4 RCA output one. They've had many versions of this thing.

vilding

« Reply #291 on: 10 Apr 2020, 07:20 pm »

Last year, I ordered the what I thought was a 2 output/XLR-RCA one but they sent me a 4 RCA output one. They've had many versions of this thing.

:P It is kinda confusing with all those interchangeable models and mutations....

charmerci

« Reply #292 on: 10 Apr 2020, 08:06 pm »

:P It is kinda confusing with all those interchangeable models and mutations....
Apparently, it became so popular with so many audiophiles wanted differing layouts that they (and other companies) gave them what they want. I imagine you could get any layout or combination that you could ever think of!  :o
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xnobsound+preamp.TRS0&_nkw=nobsound+preamp&_sacat=0

vilding

« Reply #293 on: 10 Apr 2020, 09:04 pm »
Ok and now my head is spinning.... :? I guess I'll close my eyes and point...

charmerci

« Reply #294 on: 10 Apr 2020, 09:11 pm »
Ok and now my head is spinning.... :? I guess I'll close my eyes and point...

:lol:  And that's not even all the choices.

vilding

« Reply #295 on: 11 Apr 2020, 07:56 am »
Hehe I'll just go with the one I linked to. Should do the job! And if it doesn't do what I want, I'll just get a few potentiometers to try out, I guess.

OzarkTom

« Reply #296 on: 12 Apr 2020, 02:56 am »
Unfortunately the Sys uses a cheap alps pot. The DACT-type pots are *much* better, that's why they are popular.

If Schiit made the Sys with the Alps Blue Velvet, which IMO is what they should have done, then it would be a better alternative.

+1

I have had three with the alps pot and the Dact-type sounds much better.

mango547

I’m ready to give one of these Dact-type pots a try as a passive volume control between my dac and amplifier. However, I still can’t wrap my head around the correct pot to order (10K, 20K, or 50K).

If I understand it correctly, the higher value potentiometers can introduce more noise into the system. Would this mean the 10K has the best potential of working with my system?  My Dac has an output impedance of 1k ohm, and the amplifier has an input impedance of 47k ohms.

vilding

Welll.... It showed up after a few months after even forgetting about ordering it... And the pot is incredibly noisy. Not very nice att all. On for the scrap pile. Maybe I'll order one of those chinese dacts and put in. It is a nice and functional little box, after all.

xieqiao

I wonder how that Creek passive sounds?

My second-hand Creek OBH-22 sounds fine although it's (a bit) on the expensive side.