Pra 9X or Evo Dac 2?

Eugenio_Fen

Pra 9X or Evo Dac 2?
« on: 10 Apr 2023, 01:54 pm »
On a facebook post Nuprime states that the Pra9X compared to the old Nuforce P20, although it costs much less, is sonically superior. Since I have to repair my Nuforce P20 because it is not possible to change the volume via the buttons on the front of the device, I take this opportunity to consider replacing it with the Pra9 X, but I would like to ask Nuprime a question at this point . Considering that the new Evo Dac 2 has analog inputs, would it be convenient to keep the Evo Dac 1 + the Pra9x or go directly to the Evo Dac 2 by completely removing the Pre? keep in mind that I have a very good MIT signal cable and a good power cable.

Eugenio_Fen

Re: Pra 9X or Evo Dac 2?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2023, 10:29 am »
I was hoping for an answer - clarification from Nuprime but unfortunately I see that nothing comes. At this point I ask for some information on the new Evo Dac 2 converter: what sonic differences are there compared to the Evo Dac 1? Can the new one be considered a simple evolution of the basic model with the sole addition of two analog inputs and an i2s input, or does it also change and improve the digital conversion? Furthermore, according to Nuprime, is it better to have an external preamplifier like the Pra9X or to take advantage of the new preamplifier inside the Dac 2? An external preamp has its own power supply, a long time ago this fact was given great importance.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2023, 03:51 pm »
Sorry, if anyone wants a "fast" answer, please get in touch with support@nuprimeaudio.com.
I visit this community site typically every week.

Evo DAC-2 is slightly warmer (which addressed the only criticism we have received about Evo DAC) and more detailed (the result of using better opamp) than Evo DAC.

To consider Evo-DAC + PRA-9X or Evo DAC-2 really depends on your requirement for preamp inputs.
Keep in mind that the improvement from Evo DAC-2 over Evo DAC is only incremental.
Likewise, Evo DAC-2 has a very good preamp section, similar to PRA-9X.

If you already have Evo DAC, then it is a no-brainer to just add PRA-9X.
Since you have Nuforce P20, and I assume that you don't have a world-class DAC, then definitely go with Evo DAC-2.

Eugenio_Fen

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2023, 04:36 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean to push. Thanks for the reply. I'm curious to try the new Dac2! Nuprime is number one!

Eugenio_Fen

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2023, 04:41 pm »
So, regardless of replacing the dac, is it worth replacing the P20 with the Pra 9X? It seems incredible to me that it could work better at a third of the price, as well as having an extra phono section and headphone output.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2023, 09:51 am »
After discussing with the Nuprime team, we recommend that:
- If you have P-20 and Evo DAC, don't upgrade.  PRA-9X is the same level as P-20; both have Class A warmth and detailed sound. The improvement from Evo DAC to Evo DAC-2 does not justify the upgrade.
- If you start from Evo DAC without a good preamp, add PRA-9X.