Climate Sealed Barn Doors

sts9fan

Climate Sealed Barn Doors
« on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:02 pm »
I am building a wood shop/brewery and I want large barn doors that I can open up and have the it nice and open.  My builder is telling me that because the space will be heated / cooled the doors need to be well sealed.  They have not seen "barn" doors like this.  I am hoping for a least a 9' opening.  Has anyone seen something like this?  Obviously I have googled a bunch and am looking for others experiences.   

mcgsxr

Re: Climate Sealed Barn Doors
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:19 pm »
I assume that a standard roll up garage door is out of the question?  Those are weatherproof for sure.

I have not seen sideways weatherproof doors like you are looking for - then again I have never searched for my own applications.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:55 pm »
I am building a wood shop/brewery and I want large barn doors that I can open up and have the it nice and open.  My builder is telling me that because the space will be heated / cooled the doors need to be well sealed.  They have not seen "barn" doors like this.  I am hoping for a least a 9' opening.  Has anyone seen something like this?  Obviously I have googled a bunch and am looking for others experiences.
You might post the question on "The Garage Journal" www.garagejournal.com. Tons of information and expertise to solve those sort of challenges.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2018, 05:39 pm »
I use weatherstripping from Conservation Technology exclusively on all my custom doors. Although I have never sealed sliding barn doors they will have something that will work. I always work backwards when designing doors: first - what hardware will be used and how will it be installed, then how will the opening be sealed including the threshold? Once I know the details I make working drawings and there are no surprises along the way. You have to take control, otherwise the builder buys the door, you buy the hardware, someone else installs and tries to make it fit, and nobody is happy with the end result.

Start by downloading the Conservation Technology Weatherseal Handbook
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_documents.html

The Conservation Technology site has a lot of info too:
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/