Side by side fridge/ ice and water tray?

stlrman

Side by side fridge/ ice and water tray?
« on: 24 Jul 2018, 06:58 pm »
Wife is protesting ice and water in door ! I want it !!

Sure it will cost $150 to put line in , less freezer space and more potential expenses for upkeep , but ice water and  crushed ice come out of the door !!! :thumb:

mcgsxr

Re: Side by side fridge/ ice and water tray?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:07 pm »
I considered that when we redid our kitchen a few years ago.

I went with icemaker in the freezer, and water inside the fridge.

Yes, I do have to open the fridge to get to the water dispenser.  Yes the icemaker has already failed (lasted 3 years).

I would do the same again in a heartbeat.  I love both.

I think the "in the door" versions are cool, but we went with a counter depth fridge and we both liked the cleaner look in this case.

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:07 pm »
We were the same way, I wanted, wife didn't.  We did get it, because the kids wanted it too, wife was out voted lol

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:07 pm »
I got a new fridge last year and have the ice/water in the door.  I like it.  You can still get ice/water through the door with the old style ice makers. 

I think the space difference is a wash.  The old style takes a full shelf away, while the in-the-door models slightly decrease the depth of several shelves.  Also, I got a counter depth unit that's a bit wider than the standard depth units to make up for its shallowness.  It's something to consider if your fridge is a little obtrusive and you have the width available.

In the end, give her what she wants!  :D

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:59 pm »
You'll love having the cold water so easily accessible. The only issue I have is the cost of the filters keeps rising. They were $30 when we bought the fridge, now the filters are closer to $50  :scratch:

ohenry

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2018, 10:15 pm »
You'll love having the cold water so easily accessible. The only issue I have is the cost of the filters keeps rising. They were $30 when we bought the fridge, now the filters are closer to $50  :scratch:

Maybe you have done this, but I found some nice deals on Amazon for water and air filters.  The water filters are aftermarket, but work as well as the OEM stuff (maybe better).  I just checked the reviews and picked some that got good ratings.  I got a three pack of water filters for $45 and free shipping.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2018, 12:10 am »
We went through a phase where we tried ice maker/water dispenser in the door. Inevitably, they fail well before the fridge fails. Repairs are outrageously expensive IMHO. It wasn't just our home, I bought ice maker/water dispenser fridges for two of my rentals only to have to spend hundreds to repair the damned things after two years. [One was a Samsung; one was a GE, and one was an LG.] Now, all the fridges (home and 4 rentals) have boring ice trays. There's no ice maker to repair. The fridges are less expensive and I have fewer repairs to worry about.

Of course, get what you want, but don't be terribly surprised if you gotta spend $$$ to repair the thing in a couple years.

guf

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2018, 12:30 am »
its not good to drink cold water   :o

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2018, 01:30 am »
its not good to drink cold water   :o

What's not good about it?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2018, 02:48 am »
What's not good about it?

Chinese Herbal Medicine (and many other Asian cultures) consider drinking cold or iced drinks to be bad for your health. I don’t know the whys or wherefores, but many of my Asian friends do not drink cold beverages. After spending half of my life in Asia, I seldom drink cold water. I specifically ask for water with no ice at restaurants.

I fully understand if you (anyone reading this) disagree with this thinking. I disagreed for a good 10 to 12 years, but my thinking changed over time. I don’t know if guf says it’s bad for my stated reasons, but I agree with him.

Michael

guf

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:36 am »
Chinese Herbal Medicine (and many other Asian cultures) consider drinking cold or iced drinks to be bad for your health. I don’t know the whys or wherefores, but many of my Asian friends do not drink cold beverages. After spending half of my life in Asia, I seldom drink cold water. I specifically ask for water with no ice at restaurants.

I fully understand if you (anyone reading this) disagree with this thinking. I disagreed for a good 10 to 12 years, but my thinking changed over time. I don’t know if guf says it’s bad for my stated reasons, but I agree with him.

Michael

Funny! I lived with a Chinese Medicine doctor for 5 years and I guess I learned that from her. I was mostly being a wise ass but I do avoid cold water. I did look it after replying and there was a lot of info there, backing both arguments cold vs room temp.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:59 am »
We went through a phase where we tried ice maker/water dispenser in the door. Inevitably, they fail well before the fridge fails. Repairs are outrageously expensive IMHO. It wasn't just our home, I bought ice maker/water dispenser fridges for two of my rentals only to have to spend hundreds to repair the damned things after two years. [One was a Samsung; one was a GE, and one was an LG.] Now, all the fridges (home and 4 rentals) have boring ice trays. There's no ice maker to repair. The fridges are less expensive and I have fewer repairs to worry about.

Of course, get what you want, but don't be terribly surprised if you gotta spend $$$ to repair the thing in a couple years.

Agreed, first thing to fail every time.  We ended up going with an old fashioned ice maker and that has failed too (Maytag) and haven't bothered to fix it in 10 years.  Keep a filtered water container with spout in frig.  Wifey selected a french door style (two doors to frig, one drawer to freezer below) as we already had a separate freezer and as far as I know water/ice in the door is not an option for that style.  Can fit wide stuff, but opening bottom (full width) meat/cheese drawer requires opening both doors, and occasionally closing one door (slight slam) causes the other door to pop open slightly.  Why don't frigs come with an audible alarm when the door has been left open for too long?

Generally speaking try to avoid complexity in any product I buy.  The add-on toys seem to be the first things to go.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2018, 12:37 pm »
While I've had water and ice on fridge doors just about forever, other than occasional use of ice, usually by a guest, I seldom use it myself.  When I drink water at home, it is bottled.  They do make countertop ice makers and I know people who use them - https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Portable-Maker-Machine-Counter/dp/B071J2LSQS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532522186&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=countertop+ice+maker&psc=1

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2018, 01:14 pm »
My LG has an ice maker in the freezer, which has the full width drawer under double fridge doors like JLM describes.  I refuse to say it hasn't failed in order to not jinx it, but it makes way more ice than I can ever use and I have to regularly empty out the nasty old freezer ice.  At least that keeps the garbage disposal clean.  I've always been uncomfortable with the level of bacteria that could build up in a refrigerator water dispenser.  I know the filter and all, yada yada, but bacteria has a way of surviving against all odds and there just isn't a way to clean them effectively.  I'm headed out this morning to buy a Zero Water dispenser to replace my Brita.  Oh, and JLM, my fridge does have an alarm for open doors, very annoying when putting groceries away, but it was helpful when I left the door unlatched once.

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2018, 06:47 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2018, 08:43 pm »
Could not pass up this awesome deal!!!
$899 for a $2600-$2800 fridge!!!!!  Open box with a few dents , but we put up pictures , art work and magnets anyway !!!
French doors !!! Water and ice !!!

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LG-24-2-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-steel-ENERGY-STAR/50273973?cm_mmc=search_google-_-Appliances-_-Dsa_app_118_food%20Preservation-_-&k_clickID=ebdb9c2c-6c18-44dd-b012-c7a4123da29e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiOjTjO7E3AIVirrACh2XkAFREAAYAiAAEgIexfD_BwE

Congrats on the purchase!  If you did any additional art work, I've been told that my talents are perfectly suited for hanging on a fridge with magnets 8)

ohenry

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2018, 11:36 pm »
Nice refrigerator!  I have a question for those that have stainless fridges... do magnets adhere to the doors?  Just curious.   

I have a stainless fridge and being childless, OCD, etc., I've never tried magnets on the doors like "normal" people.  If magnets stick, there must be a ferrous substrate.  I'd try it, but I'm away from home for a few days.

avta

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2018, 12:56 am »
I have a new LG French door refrigerator in stainless steel. Magnets won’t stick to the doors but will stick to the sides and top. Not sure why. Possibly a coating they use.

ohenry

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2018, 01:55 am »
That's why I'm curious.  Most stainless steel and other alloys I've encountered don't have enough ferric content to attract magnets.  From looking online, it appears that some stainless steels have enough ferric content where magnets can work.  I guess it depends on what the manufacturer is using. :?

BTW, usually the sides and backs of refrigerators are just painted metal.

putz

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2018, 03:32 am »
My icemaker failed after about 10 years because I jabbed a hole in it chipping away some ice build up.

I bought a replacement unit for under $50 online and it took about a half hour to replace, mainly because I was being very anal about it.

I buy the aftermarket filters online for around $20. They last 6 months. Better for the environment than bottled water.

I have ice (crushed or cube) and cold water through the door and I love it.