Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

OzarkTom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #500 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:40 am »
That's a good deal! I just got them off amazon for $49.95. I'm addicted to two day shipping.  :D

I think my patience is worse than a little kid at Christmas sometimes. Anxiously awaiting to hear roscoeiii's impression of the cryo amp so I can send mine in too!

Shipping is $14.92, going to Amazon for 2day shipping.

OzarkTom

« Reply #501 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:52 am »
I bought the last one in stock. :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #502 on: 6 Dec 2014, 01:37 pm »
Cryo'd XLS showed up last night. Stay tuned for cryo vs normal comparison as well as bridged mono and biamping reports. This will be a fun weekend! Thanks for all the generosity that has made this possible.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #503 on: 6 Dec 2014, 03:21 pm »
Cryo'd XLS showed up last night. Stay tuned for cryo vs normal comparison as well as bridged mono and biamping reports. This will be a fun weekend! Thanks for all the generosity that has made this possible.

Whoo hoo!

I tried to pm you some info on the Wyred amps but your box is full. Let me know when it's ok to forward you that.

Should be a fun weekend indeed!  :hyper:

roscoeiii

« Reply #504 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:07 pm »
Whoo hoo!

I tried to pm you some info on the Wyred amps but your box is full. Let me know when it's ok to forward you that.

Should be a fun weekend indeed!  :hyper:

Oops,  there is room now.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #505 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:24 pm »
Oops,  there is room now.

Cool, just sent you a pm.

Started thinking you were getting a bunch of requests to come over this weekend to check out the plethora of amps and speakers.  :D

a.wayne

« Reply #506 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:45 pm »
Roscoe,

Are you using  your regular speakers , the new one or both for evaluation ..?

roscoeiii

« Reply #507 on: 6 Dec 2014, 06:34 pm »
Roscoe,

Are you using  your regular speakers , the new one or both for evaluation ..?

So far the SP Tech,  but will try other speakers too this weekend.

Odal3

« Reply #508 on: 7 Dec 2014, 03:20 am »
To pass some time until we hear more info from the tour amp:

DaveC113 - How's the 2-way speaker project you mentioned going where you planned to use the Crown only for the low-end with the crossover as high as 800hz.  What drivers are you using? Curious to hear if you have had a chance to try if this set-up works well with the crown and if it is easy to integrate the drivers and amp this way.

rodge827

« Reply #509 on: 7 Dec 2014, 01:56 pm »

:duh:
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2014, 03:11 am by rodge827 »

roscoeiii

« Reply #510 on: 7 Dec 2014, 02:50 pm »
C'mon Chris.  Please have some patience. It has been in two locations already. Though both in the Chicagoland area. I was out of town for 5 or 6 day due to Thanksgiving. And have held on since then I  order to be able to report on bridging them as monoblocks, biamping and comparing cryo vs stock. (Wasn't able to do that until the cryo showed up on Friday night) . Then these will be in their way.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #511 on: 7 Dec 2014, 02:53 pm »
Hey Chris, I appologize for the tour not moving faster.

I guess I underestimated the desire to hear this crown amp as well as the time it might be spent in the Chicago area. Seems like the timing of the cryo amp being available with the tour amp didn't go like one would have thought. It did seem to take a while for Roscoe to receive the cryo amp which was only 25 miles away.

All that and plus Roscoe getting new speakers he's trying to find a matching amp for make a little more than usual stint for the tour amp. But in the end I think it's worth waiting for a unique perspective that Roscoe has the ability to give with all this converging at his place. I'm sure Roscoe will make some evaluations today and get the tour amp out to you this week.  :thumb:

Thanks for your patience and passion to hear this amp!

OzarkTom

« Reply #512 on: 7 Dec 2014, 03:37 pm »
Cryoman gave me a tip on using these nicer Binding posts. He recommends to try and find a plastic washer and nut to replace the metal washer and nut. Cryoman says there is less metal to mess up the signal. I think that makes sense.
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2014, 02:07 pm by OzarkTom »

a.wayne

« Reply #513 on: 7 Dec 2014, 03:51 pm »
Personally dont have an issue with  tour pace , once there's communication by posting updates , so waiting on the cryo amp and running them together is fine by me and understandable  it will add another week to the "Tour". 

Info so far has been great and pretty much as i had expected . Took a look at other crown products and this would be the one i would go for if using for subwoofer duty , man this thing is loaded and very flexable if it can deliver the lows , bingo ...!

https://www.parts-express.com/crown-xti-1002-xti-2-series-power-amplifier--245-405

Wind Chaser

« Reply #514 on: 7 Dec 2014, 04:14 pm »
Cryoman gave me a tip on using these nicer Binding posts. He recommends to try and find a plastic washer and nut to replace the metal washer and nut. Cryoman says there is less metal to mess up the signal. I think that makes sense.

I'm just going to quote myself from elsewhere - There is another way that is even better... use the existing posts to clamp the speaker cable directly to the output leads. IMO direct contact is always better than passing a signal through another medium. To maximize the payoff, do it at both ends; i.e. the speakers too. The difference in SQ is very real, more so than some costly tweaks which people rave about.

OzarkTom

« Reply #515 on: 7 Dec 2014, 04:33 pm »
I'm just going to quote myself from elsewhere - There is another way that is even better... use the existing posts to clamp the speaker cable directly to the output leads. IMO direct contact is always better than passing a signal through another medium. To maximize the payoff, do it at both ends; i.e. the speakers too. The difference in SQ is very real, more so than some costly tweaks which people rave about.

You are correct, that is the best way. But I think it is impossible on the Crown. There are no wire leads inside the amp

wushuliu

« Reply #516 on: 7 Dec 2014, 05:05 pm »

Come on guys let's get this tour moving!  :D

Chris

I think one should always assume anything that takes place during the holiday season will never happen in a timely fashion. In fact I think folks should take extra precaution to use fastest and most insured shipping possible during this time.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #517 on: 7 Dec 2014, 06:50 pm »
To pass some time until we hear more info from the tour amp:

DaveC113 - How's the 2-way speaker project you mentioned going where you planned to use the Crown only for the low-end with the crossover as high as 800hz.  What drivers are you using? Curious to hear if you have had a chance to try if this set-up works well with the crown and if it is easy to integrate the drivers and amp this way.

The enclosure for the 15" woofers (I have Acoustic Elegance and Volt woofers to try out) is still being designed and the mid-high section is being developed and measured. Things are going really well, I am very happy with the sound so far. I do intend to try an 800 Hz xo point but I expect it will end up much lower... it depends on how large the waveguide will be, a very large waveguide is technically ideal and would allow for a lower crossover point but there are tradeoffs that need to be balanced. So far the soundstage and imaging is the best I've heard from any speaker at any price, the room boundaries disappear and the stage depth is far past the rear wall and extends up in front of the speakers in some recordings, with a realism like you can reach out and touch the image. So I'm very happy but there are a lot of challenges too!  :green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #518 on: 7 Dec 2014, 07:56 pm »
I think one should always assume anything that takes place during the holiday season will never happen in a timely fashion. In fact I think folks should take extra precaution to use fastest and most insured shipping possible during this time.

My plan was to put the amp in a paper bag, seal it with scotch tape, and use a single  safety pin to attach a label that says: "To Chris in NJ"

I'll just leave that outside my building for the postman to pick-up and everything should be fine.

rodge827

« Reply #519 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:35 pm »
Perhaps a cotton diaper would be more appropriate.  :lol:

Haha I kid myself!