Deep Purple "Machine Head" CD on Audio Fidelity or Japanese made

rockadanny

!! PURCHASED !! NO LONGER LOOKING
Must be able to play on Redbook player.
Must not be a Russian or Chinese (or any other) bootleg/gray market copy. Must be official from Audio Fidelity or Japanese producer.
I heard a new-ish (2012?) remaster and it sounded terrible - unbearable ear-bleeding sound.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2022, 08:33 pm by rockadanny »

qdrone

Acoustic Sounds might still have the Japanese SACD whixh is playable on non SACD players. I think they go for 60.00.
Mine sounds great and it includes Blind Man.

Mariusz Uszynski

My SACD "Machine Head" by Deep Purple sounds fantastic on my Bryston BCD-3, which is red book player.The edition I have has two layers, regular and super audio.This is the link, where I bought it and still keep buying cd.Good service and it's only $26.45 US or $33.77 CAN.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-14166?s_ssid=e3e7361f5b3c2b7b

won ton on

My copy is from EMI 1997 with 2 cd's one a remaster the other a remix. I prefer the remaster over the remix sounds pretty good to me.

Mariusz Uszynski

Machine Head (SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, Reissue)
Deep Purple ‎– Machine Head
Label: Warner Bros. Records ‎– WPCR 14166
Series: Warner Premium Sound –
Format: SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, Reissue
Released:17 Aug 2011
Genre: Rock
Style: Heavy Metal

won ton on

It also has blind man on it,hard to beat on my BCD-3

Mariusz Uszynski

It also has blind man on it,hard to beat on my BCD-3
Amen brother.I remember buying 25 Anniversary 2cd set in 1997.I listened once and took it back to HMV.I didn't like all that extra crap they put on.In 2013 my dream came true straight from Japan, original album+bonus track.I read somewhere, that band members regreted decision about omitting "When The Blind Man Cries" from the first pressing.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2022, 02:59 am by Mariusz Uszynski »

rockadanny

Thank you for the replies!  :thumb:
Yes, seems this Japanese SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel is available $26 + shipping from CDJapan, or $60 free shipping from Acoustic Sounds (out of KS in the US).
Just have to decide from which to purchase.

Mariusz Uszynski

If you decide to go with CDJapan, you will collect points for future purchases.I bought about 15 cds over the years, they're good company.Just don't choose cheapest postage, it will take long time for delivery.You gonna love that edition, I hope one day Japan will release "In Rock" and "Fireball" in the same style.Good luck with your purchase.

rockadanny

Thank you!

rockadanny

Ordered from CDJapan. Thank you all again.  :thumb:

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Good choice. I have had great service from CD Japan for over 10 years. I have the AF Machine Head and it is nice but the one that you ordered should bring you enjoyment.

Jeff_From_Michigan

Thanks for the great advice on good-sounding Deep Purple CD's.

The editions that I bought back in the 90's sound like garbage. 

Now, I am not sure if I've recovered enough of my hearing that was lost at the Deep Purple show at Olympia in '74 to tell much of a difference, but I'd be willing to give it a whirl!

edit: This on top of Aerosmith two days earlier at Cobo!

Mariusz Uszynski

Thanks for the great advice on good-sounding Deep Purple CD's.

The editions that I bought back in the 90's sound like garbage. 

Now, I am not sure if I've recovered enough of my hearing that was lost at the Deep Purple show at Olympia in '74 to tell much of a difference, but I'd be willing to give it a whirl!

edit: This on top of Aerosmith two days earlier at Cobo!
You saw my Heroes in '74, you are so lucky!!!I was just 10 year old, but 2 years later my friend played "Speed King" and I was hooked!!!!I have 4 dvd from The Glory Days; "Live In Concert 72/73", "Live In California 74", "Phoenix Rising over Japan 75" and "History, Hits 68-76".I'm taking them to the grave!!!If you still like vintage Deep Purple, buy that 2011 japanese edition, you won't regret it.

Jeff_From_Michigan

You saw my Heroes in '74, you are so lucky!!!I was just 10 year old, but 2 years later my friend played "Speed King" and I was hooked!!!!I have 4 dvd from Glory Days; "Live In Concert 72/73", "Live In California 74", "Phoenix Rising over Japan 75" and "History, Hits 68-76".I'm taking them to the grave!!!If you still like vintage Deep Purple, buy that 2011 japanese edition, you won't regret it.

Yes, they're still my favorite hard rock band back of all-time. If you don't already have it, make it a point to get the deluxe version of Made in Japan, with insane versions of  Black Night, Lucille and Speed King!  On Lucille, I don't know what is going on but Ritchie seems to have lost his ability to play coherently and Jon comes to the rescue to save the song. No good way to describe this, but I'm wondering if other listeners have heard the same thing and maybe know what was happening there.

I don't have any idea what edition would be the best sounding one, as I do 99% streaming these days. But it is worth checking out for those extra live tracks for sure! I have the Deluxe Edition with the black cover, but like most of my Deep Purple CDs I just can't get it to sound good when played extremely loud like Deep Purple needs to be played.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a version of that CD that sounds good.

rockadanny

@Jeff_From_Michigan - I wouldn't be surprised if we went to the same shows back in 70s-80s.
Olympia, Cobo, Masonic Temple, Windsor Ice Arena, etc.

Jeff_From_Michigan

@Jeff_From_Michigan - I wouldn't be surprised if we went to the same shows back in 70s-80s.
Olympia, Cobo, Masonic Temple, Windsor Ice Arena, etc.

No doubt, Danny.  Detroit was about as good as it gets for a rock and roll fan back in the day!

One thing we forgot to mention regarding Deep Purple is Ian Paice's magnificent solo on The Mule from Made in Japan. Just stunning, and to me personally, right up there with anything I've heard from Neil Peart, Ginger Baker or anyone else for that matter. If a fan of rock and roll drummers hasn't heard this yet, they would do well to give it a listen.

rockadanny

If a fan of rock and roll drummers hasn't heard this yet, they would do well to give it a listen.
:thumb:

rockadanny

Machine Head (SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, Reissue)
Deep Purple ‎– Machine Head
Label: Warner Bros. Records ‎– WPCR 14166
Series: Warner Premium Sound –
Format: SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, Reissue
Released:17 Aug 2011

@Mariusz Uszynski - Wow! I bought this from CDJapan and it is AWESOME (audio quality)! SO glad you suggested. Highly recommended! Thank you!

Mariusz Uszynski

@Mariusz Uszynski - Wow! I bought this from CDJapan and it is AWESOME (audio quality)! SO glad you suggested. Highly recommended! Thank you!
You welcome, I'm glad you like it