Bye Bye BCD-1?

headshrinker2

Bye Bye BCD-1?
« on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm »
An unusually high number of S/H Bryston BCD-1 for sale on Audiogon right now. Good time to buy one for those in the market.

Perhaps sellers have migrated to BDP-1?   :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bye Bye BCD-1?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm »
Yes I think the writing is on the wall - CD players are going away fast.

james

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:35 pm »
I agree.  When I had the BCD-1 I loved it but when I saw a 3 week old BDA-1 (crazy audiophile :green:) on Audiogon about a year and half back I grabbed it and sold the CD player for about the same (actually made a few dollars).  The DAC was not available when I got the CD player and I moved a very old DAC I was using in the main system to the secondary basement system. The next step for me is a new computer and more digitizing of files (I have some I use with a Squeezebox Touch) and then upgrade the player at some point when I have more digitized and more hi-rez digitized.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:44 pm »
  Always a good time to buy Bryston. I never buy a piece without a home demo with one exception Bryston. Ya can't lose. :thumb:

charles
SMA

jjc1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:04 pm »
I agree.  When I had the BCD-1 I loved it but when I saw a 3 week old BDA-1 (crazy audiophile :green:) on Audiogon about a year and half back I grabbed it and sold the CD player for about the same (actually made a few dollars).  The DAC was not available when I got the CD player and I moved a very old DAC I was using in the main system to the secondary basement system. The next step for me is a new computer and more digitizing of files (I have some I use with a Squeezebox Touch) and then upgrade the player at some point when I have more digitized and more hi-rez digitized.
  Phil, haven't you tried the BDP1? You should if you haven't.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:14 pm »
  Phil, haven't you tried the BDP1? You should if you haven't.

I may at some point.  Right now I'm not really ready for it as I have too many audio and non-audio projects going on.  I'm hoping by around this time next year I'll have had a new computer for more than 6 months lots of stuff digitized and be ready to stick my Squeezebox Touch in either the secondary bedroom, basement or office systems and move into something.  I'm not even sure my local dealer has it.  Once I have the new computer (ordering the office furniture sometime in the next couple of months first), I'm more in a position to start looking at something like the BDP-1.  I probably will have more time to start spending with the main system and considering new additions early next year.  Just too far behind on media also at this point.  I usually catch up over the winter.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:35 pm »
Because of my demand for conveniece, and incurable laziness, I have been using digital players for about 8 years. My 3 CD players/transports including a once pricey Theta Jade, together with many hundreds of CDs, have been gathering dust all this time. Being a long-time Bryston customer, I was attracted by the BCD-1, but when it came out, it was, for my purposes, already obsolete. I understand that the BCD-1 has been a good seller for Bryston, but I think the writing on the wall was fairly legible when the product was introduced. While I had my doubts about the BDP-1 at first (re flexibility, convenience of use, etc.) I'm delighted to have bought it, and even more delighted that Bryston keeps improving it with software upgrades that are responsive to users' requests.

Dave

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:05 pm »
No. Not at all! The fact I have the bcd gives me more and more reason to buy loads of cd's. They seem to get cheaper by the week, and I really like that  :thumb:

Maybe the future lies in hires, sure it does, but cd's played on the bcd sound very well indeed, and I will thoroughly enjoy it for many  years to come.

And since most modern recordings don't come close to the quality of the old recordings yet, performance- and soundwise, a few good ones aside, please let there be cd's for a long time to come....

Marius

Alpha10

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:58 am »
Yes I think the writing is on the wall - CD players are going away fast.

james

In the UK Linn announced that they would no longer make CD players about 2 years ago and have concentrated on streamers only..

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:29 pm »
In the UK Linn announced that they would no longer make CD players about 2 years ago and have concentrated on streamers only..

They still have not managed to get FLAC to play gapless though... It is the number 1 peeve of all owners.

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:08 pm »
neither have Marantz, who finally told me this week:

"In conclusion Marantz cannot make the changes you are looking for – it is not possible without first of all changing everything else in the industry."

Say no more, wink wink...

Of course I told them about the BDP1. Go Bryston, Go James, change all in the industry. Or keep doing so!

Glad I have one of those  :thumb:

Marius

They still have not managed to get FLAC to play gapless though... It is the number 1 peeve of all owners.

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:41 pm »
Based on:
1-No moving parts in the unit.
2-Convenience.
3-Today's economics.
The cd players might become history just like cassette deck.
I know number of people that did not touch their cd players since digital players came out.
How about vinyl? :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:49 pm »
Based on:
1-No moving parts in the unit.
2-Convenience.
3-Today's economics.
The cd players might become history just like cassette deck.
I know number of people that did not touch their cd players since digital players came out.

I agree and that's why I went the way I did and would be very reluctant to spend money on a CD player (keep in mind I previously owned the BCD-1 and now have the BDA-1).  To elaborate on the economics, what is the cost of the BCD-1 vs. the BDA-1 (about a $600 difference)?  One could do lots with $600.  A friend of mine was going to buy a $3k SACD/CD player and already had a BDA-1.  I talked him into trying an under $50 HDMI audio de-embedder to use with the Oppo Blu-Ray universal player and BDA-1 he already had.  He has not bought the SACD/CD player.  I have a modded BDP-83 and prefer the de-embedder with an upgraded power supply in the BDA-1 vs. the analog outs of the modded BDP-83.  So for the price difference of the BCD-1 vs. BDA-1 you can go buy a de-embedder (and even upgraded the power supply a little), an Oppo BDP-93 and get hi-rez music through the BDA-1 and USB input and other goodies in the BDP-93 that can be played via the BDA-1.  I can't understand at this point why anyone would walk into a dealer and spend more money for less capability and more moving parts that can go wrong. 

The BDA-1 along with a transport does not occupy all that much space.  With devices like the BDP-1 and others (I'm using currently using a Squeezebox Touch with an upgraded power supply and for what the BDA-1 and the Touch and the Power Supply cost it is under the price of a BCD-1 too and it is very convenient and easy to use and I can get up to 24/96), there's the opportunity to hear what the capabilities of digital can do.  I can't wait until I have enough digitized so I can be in a position to consider an upgrade like the BDP-1 and take it to the next level.

Alpha10

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:58 pm »

Really, bloom'in heck, I did not realise that  :o

and they have no way of solving the issue?

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »

I have not played a single CD since getting the BDP, not one! I have also nearly completed ripping my vinyl on to the BDP, so soon there will be no media at all, the times they are a changing.

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2011, 06:14 pm »
call me crazy, but I really love to throw in lets say Wagners Ring, enjoy the pictures and synopsis in the booklet and read along with the texts.

I still like to hold them, for example the wonderful Miles Davis complete Columbia recordings. Very convenient, very economic, and let's not pass something very important, very nice to look at.

I might go with your first, no moving parts, only electronics  (set aside that modern electronics can go wrong (modern cars) and cause problems no one can solve (the BDP1 Bonjour kicks Airplay....), but your 2, convenience, still has a very long way to go (all the ripping and retagging, ordering and sorting, and 3, today's economics fail completely, since you pay much more for a (hires) download, than you pay for a cd that as a plus comes with al the niceties mentioned above.

For me the most overwhelming consideration is absolute sound quality of the hires- audio world. For that, I gladly forgo the lack of just those nr 2 and 3 .

Until the industry has settled and hires downloads are everywhere, I see a long life for CD's. The masses won't pay premium for Hires, and for that the industry won't settle as wished for. That's modern economics.

For that, I'm happy to have them both, and every morning I press those power buttons with care.

But that's only me of course. I do hope that Bryston will service the BCD-1 for a long time. Utterly enjoying it.

Have fun,
Marius

let alone the fact that when I would have to rip all my cd's I've collected over the last 30 years or so (what was it 1982?), I would have even less time to make a living and buy all that nice Bryston gear. O boy nostalgia Philips cd100 http://www.vintagehifi.nl/philips.html and Walter/Ferrier/Mahler http://www.gramophone.net/ClassicReview/View/99/THE%20CLASSIC%20REVIEW%0D%0AThis%20classic%20account%20of%20Mahler's%20Das%20Lied%20von%20der%20Erde,%20sung%20by%20Kathleen%20Ferrier%20and%20conducted%20by%20Bruno%20Walter,%20remains%20a%20catalogue%20favourite%20-%20but%20how%20did%20we%20first%20review%20it%3F both still here....

I have not played a single CD since getting the BDP, not one! I have also nearly completed ripping my vinyl on to the BDP, so soon there will be no media at all, the times they are a changing.

Cheers