A headphone guy starts speaker system

dukja

A headphone guy starts speaker system
« on: 29 Jan 2016, 05:48 pm »
Hi,

I enjoy my headphone system for 6~7 years.  No complain to my HD-800 and Hifiman HE-6 headphones.  Recently, I started to audit some monitors such as Sierra-1 and coming New Philharmonitor and realized that needing a better amp.  Currently, I used a Aleph 3, Rotel  RA-970BX and a vintage Pioneer receiver.  Looking for learn more about speaker setup! :green:
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2016, 01:32 am by dukja »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: A headphone guy starts speaker system
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2016, 06:08 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, dukja.  :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2016, 07:06 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2016, 07:17 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC dukja  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2016, 07:40 pm »
You've certainly found a great place to find out more about speaker based systems and hopefully share some of what you have learned about headphone setups!

Personally I am on the opposite end of the journey, building up a headphone setup after finalizing my speaker based setup.

Welcome!

dukja

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2016, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Building a headphone system is much easier!   :lol: You will get it in no time.   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm »
Welcome dukga.

What made you decide to try for a speaker system?  If you're listening space is marginal (too small, ill-shaped, or domestically challenged) I'd recommend considering it for background use (reading, entertaining).  In that case you can get satisfying in-room tunes from $100 on up.  Check out the Cheap and Cheerful Circle. 

If you're thinking about a desktop system, look at Audiostream.com to get a good start.  You'll notice that the speakers are active (self-powered with one amp per driver).  Active designs have many sonic and space saving advantages.  If your headphone amp has preamp outputs you're done.

If you're after the full in-room experience start with the room (bigger is better, avoid cubes or odd shapes).  Consider electrical needs, insulation, and if it will be dedicated to you (sound) or shared (with various domestic limitations).  Next the likely setup must be determined (based on acoustics or domestic factors).  Then shop for speakers based on room and setup.  Finally (assuming you can use your source/headphone amp as a preamp) find an amp that best serves those speakers.

Floyd E. Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is a wealth of room acoustics information.  Coming from headphones I'd recommend a dynamic box speaker (not planar, dipole, vertical array, open baffle, or omni-directional).  The Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 and the new Philharmonitor are both good choices for smaller rooms (neither are considered full range, that is they don't produce lots of deep bass). 

Moving from headphones you'll notice reduced dynamics and "real" imaging (full in-room).  Have fun.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2016, 10:25 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. dukja

Guy 13

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:25 am »
Welcome dukja.  Any questions regarding headphones jump to Headphone Mania. We are all here to share. :thumb:

dukja

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2016, 01:28 am »
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome again!  I didn't notice the replies earlier.

The reason for trying speaker system was originally small idea for kids' music education.  Sonos 3 starter kit was eventually satisfy that need.    :duh:

But in the process I got to know Sierra speaker and tried it out.  It takes a lot of "get used to" and finding the right room.  Your comments on "Moving from headphones you'll notice reduced dynamics and "real" imaging (full in-room)" is very true.  Eventually, I moved to my 2nd floor study and it seems to be a perfect spot for speaker setup.  Still some room treatment was needed.  I did learn quite a bit on room acoustic.

Now I start to enjoy both headphone and speaker and realized their pros and cons.  Both HD800 and Hifiman has great dynamic range that I cannot get from speaker.  The details, sonic texture, and bass quality are also wonderful.  The headphone also give much fuller sound.  I do get much nicer soundstage from headphone.  And it may allow some friends to enjoy music together. :thumb:

Now the 1st task is to find a descent quality (and budget-minded) amp that is up to the task.  Something like vintage Threshold amp is what I am looking for. :D  I love quality stuff that lasts!

Welcome dukga.

What made you decide to try for a speaker system?  If you're listening space is marginal (too small, ill-shaped, or domestically challenged) I'd recommend considering it for background use (reading, entertaining).  In that case you can get satisfying in-room tunes from $100 on up.  Check out the Cheap and Cheerful Circle. 

If you're thinking about a desktop system, look at Audiostream.com to get a good start.  You'll notice that the speakers are active (self-powered with one amp per driver).  Active designs have many sonic and space saving advantages.  If your headphone amp has preamp outputs you're done.

If you're after the full in-room experience start with the room (bigger is better, avoid cubes or odd shapes).  Consider electrical needs, insulation, and if it will be dedicated to you (sound) or shared (with various domestic limitations).  Next the likely setup must be determined (based on acoustics or domestic factors).  Then shop for speakers based on room and setup.  Finally (assuming you can use your source/headphone amp as a preamp) find an amp that best serves those speakers.

Floyd E. Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is a wealth of room acoustics information.  Coming from headphones I'd recommend a dynamic box speaker (not planar, dipole, vertical array, open baffle, or omni-directional).  The Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 and the new Philharmonitor are both good choices for smaller rooms (neither are considered full range, that is they don't produce lots of deep bass). 

Moving from headphones you'll notice reduced dynamics and "real" imaging (full in-room).  Have fun.