DIY fest

denverdoc

DIY fest
« on: 15 Feb 2005, 01:16 am »
To all front range enthusiasts:

Anyone else have an interest in a get together. Seems like the NYC guys have an event every month or so, maybe we could do something annually.  As for myself, my interests post divorce have gone from commercial to DIY and would love to see us get involved with the RMAF in a DIY exhibit--not the kind designed to sell product, but more along the lines of a display of 3 or 4 diy based systems of varying complexity and price just to show what can be done. Might be fun and maybe we could get some help from Gold Sound or similar enterprise.

John

mgalusha

DIY fest
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 02:03 am »
John,

Count me in. I have a few DIY projects I can bring. Some of the guys have seen/heard them but certainly not all. I've built a few preamps from scratch, a pair of tube amps based on the Transcendant SC-150 design and various other toys. If you've seen my posts you'll know I have modded just about everthing I own - I'll take that back, I have modded everthing in my system. :-)

I'm almost done with my Teres project. Still need to build a motor hosing but the all the rest is done. Maybe this week as I'm on vacation (a much needed break to be sure).

I think PeteG and BradJudy both do a bit of DIY and certainly Wayne builds all kinds of stuff. You might want to contact Ron Welborne since he's the one putting on the RMAF and a lot of his products are geared for DIY'ers.

Mike

BradJudy

DIY fest
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 02:35 am »
Yeah, I have a couple of DIY items, although they are of the 'paint by number' variety.  :)   At one point, I had grand plans of an entirely DIY system, but then reality set in.  I could bring a couple of things by if a group gets together.

denverdoc

DIY fest
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2005, 03:00 am »
Hey guys, this is encouraging as I thought the Denver mafia was a pulp fiction ending. As to the RMAF,  I like the idea of enlisting wellbourne's help--anyone know him?

But aside from that , we need a decent  room with clean AC and who knows what else? If we got together in May would give us plenty of time to get our act together for the RMAF if there is interest.  Either way, would much enjoy the get together and swapping of stories/knowledge.
John

Wayne1

DIY fest
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2005, 04:41 am »
Ron Welborne will not be involved in RMAF this year.

It took too much time away from his business last year.

Al Stiefel of Red Rocks Audio is running the whole thing this year.

The cost of a demo room will be around $1,500-$1,750 this year.
 The price goes up after 3/31/05

Power is about the same in all the rooms. It does get  pretty bad when the AC is turned on.

More information can be found at http://www.audiofest.net

JohnCZ

DIY Fest
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2006, 04:24 pm »
Greetings to All,

New to the Circle and relatively new to the area.

I would be interested in joining in the DIY Fest. I have built a number of speakers in recent times and currently I am finishing two somewhat unusual designs.  Very interested in getting opinions about them.

Looking forward to hearing what is happening on the Front Range.

JohnCZ

Wayne1

DIY fest
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2006, 04:49 pm »
Hello John,

Welcome to AC and the Denver area.

The "DIY Fest" never got off the ground when it was pointed out that to have a room at RMAF someone would have to pay for it.

The Denver Audio Mafia has shrunk down a bit but a few guys do still get together now and then for listening sessions.

If you are willing to host a listening session at your place, I am sure some of the folks would be happy to come over and give you their opinions :D

There may be a get together in a couple of weeks to listen to some Squeeze Box mods, power supplies and the DAC 60.