Battery question

cynan

Re: Battery question
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:01 am »
Seth, care to comment on the voltage handling of the Sensation? Is it about the same as the ONE.2?

I think Vinnie's Red Wine Audio battery solution is gorgeous - and likely well worth the money, particularly at the preorder price. Plus, it is safe, tried and tested; I could see how it might make you a bit nervous to see people discussing the prospect of throwing potentially dangerous voltages (from potentially volatile sources - though the new LiFePO4 are reputedly quite safe) at your products.

That said, with the recent advancements made in battery technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Li-ion version of the Red Wine kit in the near future... 

imassarano

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:20 am »
"Seth, care to comment on the voltage handling of the Sensation? Is it about the same as the ONE.2?  I think Vinnie's Red Wine Audio battery solution is gorgeous - and likely well worth the money, particularly at the preorder price. Plus, it is safe, tried and tested; I could see how it might make you a bit nervous to see people discussing the prospect of throwing potentially dangerous voltages (from potentially volatile sources - though the new LiFePO4 are reputedly quite safe) at your products.  That said, with the recent advancements made in battery technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Li-ion version of the Red Wine kit in the near future... "

That could be very interesting. :eyebrows:  And Seth, while your at it, what about the voltage rating of the TWO.2? And are there any farther developments on this model?

Isaac

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:14 am »
Hey Guys,

Sensation as we are shipping now has identical power/voltage concerns as the ONE.2.
We have plans to do higher voltage models, starting with the TWO.2, but experienced has mugged me and sorry, I'm just not going to discuss it until I see something production ready with mine own very eyes. 

I will say that a heatsink is required over around 36v and some people find the heatsink ugly.  So we'll probably end up with a < 36v solution and an over 36v solution.  That, and I still have a bunch of Tripath parts and debt to retire, so I'm not giving up before the high-voltage journey is complete!  The good news is that the power aspect is now worked out.  We have broken the 130w switching regulated supply barrier and there are many battery options from which to choose.  Fully charged, 29v and 43v seem to be the easiest to source.  Although perhaps 5 x 6v (nominal) will become an option.  I'm guessing that this would be a 36v pack fully charged - right?

Seth

imassarano

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2010, 02:05 pm »
Seth CBW,

I certainly understand your need not to over committed, discretion being the better part of valour 8). However, please keep us up to date on developments :P.

Isaac

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2010, 07:01 am »
Have no fear, I'm terrible with secrets.  Make no mistake, the wheels are turning (slowly) on these models, every day. 

Light-Echo

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:12 am »
I have a question: Why would you need a buffer if you are going to run an amp on batteries?
Perhaps someone could educate me on the purpose of a buffer, but if you are running batteries and have dead silence already, what's the point?

Dave

JohnLL

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:32 pm »
A buffer is a “preamp” that does not amplify the signal but makes it easier for it to travel from the source (dac) to the amp. The signal arrives with less noise and more drive when the interconnects are short and the output impedance of the source (or buffer) is very low compared to the input impedance of the amp.  The input impedance of Virtue 1 is set by its 20 Kohm volume control and I would not substitute a higher value one. A buffer lets you use a high output impedance source like a NOS dac for instance.

Light-Echo

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:04 pm »
I'm still ... un enlightened John (But thx there). In fact a little more confused now. The buffer obviously actively does something, else, how could adding a piece of equipment and 2 more interconnects be better than a single set of interconnects.
And now I feel somewhat less intelligent in regards to a sources output impedance. Is the NOS dac an amplifier in it's own right then? I find I was under the impression that pre-amp outs were some sort of industry standard, a typical impedance or small impedance range.

Dave

dvenardos

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:09 am »
This might help answer your question:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/0708/first_watt_b1_preamplifier.htm

I have a question: Why would you need a buffer if you are going to run an amp on batteries?
Perhaps someone could educate me on the purpose of a buffer, but if you are running batteries and have dead silence already, what's the point?

Dave

Light-Echo

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:03 am »
I have a recording studio set-up of sorts - rank amateur style - based upon the Sonar Studio suite. The sound card / dac is the Edirol UA-25. http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-25/index.html ... Can anyone that understands the specs tell me if this is a decent dac? I have not had my system set up yet ... things are getting built (N3's) or are on the way (M901 now, that will be battery powered).

Thx
Dave

gross

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:34 am »
What about running 5 6V SLA batteries in series to get a 30V power source? I noticed that the 6V SLA betteries seem to have a higher maximum current  than the 12V

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:40 pm »
What about running 5 6V SLA batteries in series to get a 30V power source? I noticed that the 6V SLA betteries seem to have a higher maximum current  than the 12V

Please see Vinnie's reply to that question on page one of this thread!  :wink:

Light-Echo

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:49 pm »
The "Quick Reply" would be that your real output with (5) 6 volt batteries would be actually greater than 30v. I haven't received my charge kit from Gary yet but the 12v batteries I have as they sit now are 12.1 volts. I'm just hypothesizing, but If a 6 volt battery scales down and actual out put is 6.5v, with five you'll get 32.5v. Actual voltage after they've been optimally charged will likely be more. For the M-901, Virtue specifically warns of using voltages greater than 30v.

Regards
Dave

Light-Echo

« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:50 pm »
 :duh:      Or what NUUK said Vinnie said