Bedroom speakers ????

2bigears

Bedroom speakers ????
« on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:34 pm »
 :D  Have an old Nakamichi AV-1 and the same CD-4 . This is not really ready for the landfill but sorta..   Ha
            Would like a few ideas on maybe slim towers for the bedroom that match the worth and old gear capabilities ,,,,
                 maybe a grand or 1500 budget here in CANADA....  THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND IDEAS  :D

TomS

Re: Bedroom speakers ????
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:40 pm »
Elac Debut or UniFi, available as bookshelf or small towers. Easily within your budget and crazy good sound for the money.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:53 pm »
 :D  ok ,,thanks ,,,, looking up now .... :D
      F6 or listed at 570.00     on A-Zon

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2016, 04:08 pm »
Check out the Polk TSX series.  I just got the bookshelf version for the bedroom.  The build quality and finish seem to be a bit better than ELAC and you don't have to get them in black!  Why do the cheap & cheerful ones always have to be in black?  Anyway, they are very smooth and full sounding, not the last word in resolution but easy to listen to and more efficient than Elacs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2016, 05:28 pm »
With the stated budget I might think to upgrade the Polk recommendation to the Rti series, one up the line with real wood veneers and some more resolution, or maybe the Lsi series if the op can go with used.  I also like the smaller PSB speakers.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:59 pm »
http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-full-pair-p-1324.html
If you can diy these are great.  Can add a woofer or subwoofer if you need to dig deeper.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:01 am »
At 4-1/2"W x 13"D x 42"H the GR-Research Skinny 6s would be perfect for small towers.

While these are coated with DuraTex, since they are DIY if you are up to some building, or willing to have someone build them for you you could have almost any type of finish, even real wood veneer, and they would be within your budget.

Here is a link to the AC thread where these are discussed:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135458.0

Mike

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:15 am »
 :D  thanks all who replied. i kinda like the looks of Monitor Audio Bronze 5's .... they would do nicely i think.
       another is Polk RTI 7's ....  they are priced very close and budget speakers for sure. ..  :D

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:53 am »
Aperions are pretty nice for the price and these will fit almost anywhere .... https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus/intimus-4t-tower-speaker-171

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2016, 11:28 am »
Aperions are pretty nice for the price and these will fit almost anywhere .... https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus/intimus-4t-tower-speaker-171

:thumb: I'll ditto Aperion.  I don't have their towers but I do have their 5C center.  Marvelous speaker.  Aperion is one of a handful of online-only vendors that offer exceptional performance for the price.  The 4T allows for a small footprint and cash left over for other gear.  I'll also add Axiom Audio's M22 V4 book shelves.  These too are scary good for the price.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2016, 11:38 am »
Note that the 4t will need a subwoofer.  I've heard great things about Aperion speakers, never actually heard them though.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2016, 01:01 pm »
I didn't know if Internet direct marketed US companies were an option for Canada due to customs fees, but if so, the tried and true Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE ($568) with the TP-24 Pedestal Stands ($140) for a total of $708 before shipping & customs will give you response down to 45Hz (-3dB) with 6.5" woofers in a 7.5" wide cabinet (base plinth is 10"W x 14"D).

They do regularly ship to Canada, so a call to find out what the shipping and customs is may still put them in the running with their reasonable base cost and high performance.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2016, 03:42 pm »
For bedroom speakers (no deep bass needed) the smaller Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (~$400 Canadian) would be marvelous.  I love mine. 

Those GR towers would give me nightmares, waking up to find behemoths in my bedroom.   :o

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2016, 03:56 pm »
 :D absolutely right on the money. no slim speakers with a sub.   no,no,no.  Big bass very not needed.  Glorious midrange would be the way. Speakers under 1000 bucks is a vast fieild for choosing.  Those 340's look dam nice .  :D
     would the Sierras 2 ribbon bookshelf with a stand be better than the 340's ....  :D

maty

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:26 pm »
If I was the owner of Crescend Ascend CMT and CMB speakers... I would change the cheap Elytone electrolytic capacitors (blue and small) of the crossovers!!!

-> http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340mtech.html

-> http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170tech.html

srb

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:32 pm »
If I was the owner of Crescend speakers... I would change the cheap Elytone electrolytic capacitors (blue and small) of the crossovers!!!

But you're obviously not, otherwise you would call them by their name - Ascend.   ;)

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:42 pm »
 :D  there must have been a hi=level meeting on x-over parts to be used.  :D
          can someone give me an answer ??  the ribbon bookshelves or 340's  ???? speakers unheard .. :D

srb

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:45 pm »
would the Sierras 2 ribbon bookshelf with a stand be better than the 340's ....  :D

I'm a big fan of ribbon tweeters, particularly the RAALs, so yes.  The CMT-340 SE would obviously be better for trying to fill a larger room, but for a bedroom where you probably don't need higher SPL and sensitivity the Sierra 2 would give you higher quality sound.

However If you're now also considering monitors on stands such as the Sierra 2, you might also consider Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitor.  The ScanSpeak Revelator 5.5" is a fantastic driver, and that combined with the RAAL ribbon could give you everything you desire for that space - sweet bass, mids & highs.  And for only $1150.

Steve

2bigears

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:50 pm »
 :D  sounds like a nice unit.  looking up now. Are there actually companies that make good stands out there reasonably priced yet solid and easy on the peepers ??  :D    my budget is bursting ,, the US $ is going to kill me and all the rest. ya get what you pay 4 !!  :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:57 pm »
For bedroom speakers (no deep bass needed) the smaller Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (~$400 Canadian) would be marvelous.  I love mine. 

Those GR towers would give me nightmares, waking up to find behemoths in my bedroom.   :o

They just look big in the picture. The scale is deceiving. They are narrower than a CD case, just over 1 foot deep and 3-1/2ft tall. For floor standers that is really tiny.

There is a smaller bookshelf version, the LGK 1.0. At 4-1/2"W x 8"D x 12"H these were originally designed as desktop monitors but work very well in smaller rooms.

At a kit price of $189 for the pair (minus cabinets) they are a steal. I had a pair of them on display in my room at the Lone Star Audio Fest last year (2015). All who heard them were amazed at the sound and especially the bass response. I saw many jaws drop when these little beauties started playing.

Check out a review of the LGK monitors here:  https://newrecordday.com/gr-research-lgk/ 

Mike