iCandy: iOne

Pez

iCandy: iOne
« on: 3 May 2017, 09:20 pm »

Here it is folks. iOne in the wild, and by wild I mean my house. From now on Bluetooth doesn't have to suck! Yes I hear it now "Bold statement Pez, Bluetooth doesn't sound good EVER". Normally I'd agree with you and throw a tomato or two myself, but remember folks, we are iFi. :icon_twisted: iOne uses AAC (Lossless redbook level sound quality) and AptX over Bluetooth, not a lower quality stream like most Bluetooth streamers.

iFi redesigned the faceplate and rear panel. For the first time iFi has used Acryllic in our design. Why Acryllic? This type of acryllic is invisible to wireless signal, which translates into an extended range and better usability within its range. Using it with my iPhone on iPeng and it sounds excellent even right out of the box.

I'm thoroughly impressed with what I'm hearing. Most iFi stuff takes 300+ hours to burn in, so I'll post later as it gets more time on it. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 05:52 pm by Pez »

nature boy

Re: iCandy: iOne
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2017, 11:15 pm »
So Pez, is this essentially a Bluetooth streamer + DAC?  How is it powered?  Thanks, I'm looking for something simple to operate for my secondary bedroom system.

NB

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2017, 11:37 pm »
So Pez, is this essentially a Bluetooth streamer + DAC?  How is it powered?  Thanks, I'm looking for something simple to operate for my secondary bedroom system.

NB

Essentially yes! You can stream Bluetooth from any Bluetooth device to the iOne. It is powered via the USB input. We include a standard USB 5 volt wall plug, but this badboy can run off any powered USB source including iPower or either Mirco iUSB3.0/Nano iUSB 3.0. No need for the separate wall adaptor in most cases.  :thumb:

You can plug it into 2 channel or Head-Fi and it'll work equally well. I love that I can use my phone to watch videos while lying in bed without having anything plugged into it. Great for TV shows, games and movies too.
« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 05:55 pm by Pez »

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2017, 12:05 am »
Great.  I'm looking for a streamer/DAC to replace my Chromecast audio dongle in a two channel set up.  The Chromecast works fine, but sound quality is lacking.  Will probably pick up an iOne and iFi 5V power adapter too.  BTW, I am using a 12V iFi power adapter with my Dynavector P75 phono preamp.  Quite a noticeable drop in noise as compared with my older Stancor adapter.  :thumb:

Where are the newer extended range versions available online in the U.S.??

NB

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2017, 12:16 am »
Jason, does the output level follow the input level?  IOW if a phone is connected via Bluetooth, does the phone control the output level?  What about the other inputs?  Trying to determine if the amp needs a volume control.

Thanks,
Ed

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2017, 12:18 am »
To answer NB's question, regarding the extended range version it has arrived and being inventoried here in the US as we speak. We liked what we did with the extended range so much that it has completely taken the place of the original design FYI.

I'll be posting a tour up soon for iOne in the next few days. Be on the look out.
« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 06:08 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2017, 12:25 am »
Jason, does the output level follow the input level?  IOW if a phone is connected via Bluetooth, does the phone control the output level?  What about the other inputs?  Trying to determine if the amp needs a volume control.

Thanks,
Ed

Via Bluetooth the source volume control is enabled. So if you use your phone you don't need a volume control in theory.

As far as other inputs, the iOne is every bit the Swiss Army knife that other ifi products are. It has the USB input, galvanically isolated SPDIF input that also converts to an output if you want to just pass the signal on to a beefier DAC. And like the Micro iDSD Black Label the spdif coaxial can be converted to optical with the use of our included optical output adaptor.

Quite a few other features too, I'll post up some tech notes soon.

Hogg

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2017, 12:00 am »
Pez,

Does this device support Bluetooth 5.0?  Thank you in advance.

Jim

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2017, 08:58 pm »
Bluetooth 4.0, 3.0 and 2.0.

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2017, 11:04 pm »
I picked up the iOne up for my son's system, it arrived today.  No real time on it but straight out of the box it sounds very good using Bluetooth ( like he and his housemates will be using it) streaming Tidal via my iPhone.  The system is:
iOne>iTube>Folsom 7297 amp> GR Research NX Otica MTM with dual servo subs (he will be taking my V1s)

This setup sounds great :thumb:.

Best,
Ed

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2017, 01:35 pm »
Ed,

Funny seeing you here :-). Glad you asked this and your report on the sound quality. I'm considering one of these to mount on the back of my BH s.e.x. 2.1 amp for a nice, portable headphone/speaker system that I can use with any one of the 3 systems in my house. No, it won't replace the uRendu/micro USB3.0/Musette in my main system, nor the "Black Label" in my bedside headphone setup, but it may prove to make a nice change to a little tube goodness when I want it. Yes, there is an iTube2 between the Musette and the main amp in the listening room setup.

It's been quite a while and I hope you're doing well!,

Jim

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2017, 02:11 am »
Ed,

Funny seeing you here :-). Glad you asked this and your report on the sound quality. I'm considering one of these to mount on the back of my BH s.e.x. 2.1 amp for a nice, portable headphone/speaker system that I can use with any one of the 3 systems in my house. No, it won't replace the uRendu/micro USB3.0/Musette in my main system, nor the "Black Label" in my bedside headphone setup, but it may prove to make a nice change to a little tube goodness when I want it. Yes, there is an iTube2 between the Musette and the main amp in the listening room setup.

It's been quite a while and I hope you're doing well!,

Jim
Hey Jim, yes, the Bluetooth sound surpassed my expectations, that technology has made great strides.

Hope you are well.

Best,
Ed

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:57 pm »
Very exciting news for us.  The iOne made it into another Holidays Buyer's Guide (see page 11).
https://audiohub.gr/guides/2017/

Anyone thinking of picking up an iOne for the holidays?