NX Studio first impressions

SRP SRP

NX Studio first impressions
« on: 10 Jun 2023, 07:15 pm »
Just finished up a set and I must say, I’m 100% impressed.  Easily the most revealing speaker I’ve ever heard. Everything else sound dull now.

It’s end game for me.  I wish this would have been my first speaker purchase.  If anyone is on the fence about taking the DIY plunge—do it!

Highly recommended!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: NX Studio first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2023, 08:33 pm »
Just wait til they break in a month from now. 🤯

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2023, 09:36 pm »
Congrats on building a world class speaker, first time out!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2023, 09:39 pm »
I heard them at the LSAF and was impressed.  They sounded excellent in an untreated room... something that's really hard to do. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2023, 09:45 pm »
I heard them at the LSAF and was impressed.  They sounded excellent in an untreated room... something that's really hard to do.

Scott,

Did I miss you at the show?

BTW, if you are referring to the pair that was in the Dynaco room, those were not fully broken in. I was only able to get about 50 hours on them before the show.

Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2023, 02:28 am »
Hey Mike, yep I came into your room a couple of times on Sat. and never got to talk to you... that place was always packed.  I was wearing an N95 mask, so you probably didn't recognize me.  Of the two rooms with your GR builds, I kinda liked the room with the Studios powered by what looked like a modded Dynaco amp.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2023, 03:31 am »
Sorry I missed talking with you. Yea, my room was packed all dat Sat. The first people showed up at 9:30 before the show even started and the room was never empty until about 5. That only lasted 30 seconds. I got lunch at 10:30pm. Most of the day my room was standing room only.

They were moved Dynacos. That is what Bryan Miller’s Miller Audio is all about.

KTS

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2023, 03:33 am »
Just finished up a set and I must say, I’m 100% impressed.  Easily the most revealing speaker I’ve ever heard. Everything else sound dull now.

It’s end game for me.  I wish this would have been my first speaker purchase.  If anyone is on the fence about taking the DIY plunge—do it!

Highly recommended!

Congratulations on building an outstanding speaker, how many hour do you have on them?

Kelly

SRP SRP

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2023, 04:36 am »
Perhaps 20. They’ll play 24/7 while on my next business trip

Watched the latest UFC tonight and can’t imagine needing a center channel

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2023, 05:39 pm »
I have had mine playing for about a year. It took about a month, 400 hrs of 24/7 brown noise and EDM to burn them in.

So a year later and I think are still getting better. The NX Studio a fantastic speaker however it is weak on the Bass. My subs will be here soon and cant wait.

My point is the more you play them the better they get. :thumb:

SRP SRP

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2023, 06:09 pm »
I hear ya. I’ll try something like that.

I can’t imagine these will get better. Impressive speaker

I have a single rythmik F12G and the low bass output is plenty for me. 👍🏻

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2023, 08:25 pm »
Yep, room size matters. I have mine in a tiny spare bedroom (12wx10l and have reasonable output to just below 50hz. Subs used more for smoothing bass response than they are with low end oompf, but I'm not complaining  :D

KTS

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2023, 11:29 pm »
I hear ya. I’ll try something like that.

I can’t imagine these will get better. Impressive speaker

I have a single rythmik F12G and the low bass output is plenty for me. 👍🏻

I was shocked how much they opened up after 400hrs, it was not a small difference in my system.

SRP SRP

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2023, 10:42 pm »
I think I’m near 400 hours. I get what you’re talking about opening up. 

I catch myself looking around trying to locate a detail in a song that I thought I knew well. Hard to describe

Best hifi purchase

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2023, 11:06 pm »
I think I’m near 400 hours. I get what you’re talking about opening up. 

I catch myself looking around trying to locate a detail in a song that I thought I knew well. Hard to describe

Best hifi purchase

You experience mirrors mine.  I've heard a ton of really high end bookshelf sized speakers.  The NX-Studios are the best.

BrandonB

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2023, 12:27 am »
You experience mirrors mine.  I've heard a ton of really high end bookshelf sized speakers.  The NX-Studios are the best.

Tyson I have spent some time listening to the Mike Lundy's NX-studio with a sand box sealed sub at LSAF.  I have listened to the NX-treme and NX-Studio with triple OB subs at Danny's place.  I loved them all.  Danny's was obviously dialed but the NX-studio at the LSAF was hooked up to a modded 50 watt dynaco tube amp and a cheap DAC and Preamp.  But it sounded really good in that small room. Every now and then you could tell the amp was a little weak but I loved the voices and acousticalvinstrument and pianos.  Sometimes that sub would get boomy but I didn't care.  My question is what do you think the difference in Mid and Mid-base between the NX-otica and the NX-Studio. 

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2023, 03:44 am »
Tyson I have spent some time listening to the Mike Lundy's NX-studio with a sand box sealed sub at LSAF.  I have listened to the NX-treme and NX-Studio with triple OB subs at Danny's place.  I loved them all.  Danny's was obviously dialed but the NX-studio at the LSAF was hooked up to a modded 50 watt dynaco tube amp and a cheap DAC and Preamp.  But it sounded really good in that small room. Every now and then you could tell the amp was a little weak but I loved the voices and acousticalvinstrument and pianos.  Sometimes that sub would get boomy but I didn't care.  My question is what do you think the difference in Mid and Mid-base between the NX-otica and the NX-Studio. 

I'd say the NX-Treme has the most powerful bass of the 3.  The NX-Otica has about 85% of that.  And the NX-Studio has about 60%.  Which makes sense just looking at the number of woofers involved. 

For midrange the NX-Treme and NX-Otica sounded exactly the same to me.  The NX-Studio gets you about 90% of that.  To me, that is INCREDIBLE.  I have no idea how Danny got a sealed midrange driver to sound so much like a pair of open baffle drivers.  Seriously impressive.

BrandonB

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2023, 12:07 pm »
I'd say the NX-Treme has the most powerful bass of the 3.  The NX-Otica has about 85% of that.  And the NX-Studio has about 60%.  Which makes sense just looking at the number of woofers involved. 

For midrange the NX-Treme and NX-Otica sounded exactly the same to me.  The NX-Studio gets you about 90% of that.  To me, that is INCREDIBLE.  I have no idea how Danny got a sealed midrange driver to sound so much like a pair of open baffle drivers.  Seriously impressive.
When I was at Danny's I listened to the Encore's with the triple OB subs it was good but the NX-series was awesome. I was hard pressed to notice a difference between the NX-studio and NX-treme with the triple OB subs.   

Spschmitt53

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2023, 01:51 pm »
Hi everyone, I don’t post much anywhere on the internet or social media. I have owned my NX Studios for over a year. I have PS Audio M700 monoblocks and the stellar gain cell DAC  , class D . I have tried Schitt Freya with  my monoblocks, Freya with Vidars, Primaluna 300 integrated, all combinations of those. Also I just got a pair of LRS +’s in my room auditioning them. I will say any amp or combination there of sounds great with theses NX studios. As far as speakers I have compared them with such as the LRS+. KEF meta, JBL, there is NO comparison!!! The NX Studios in my 10 by 12 room, well treated, are so detailed, not harsh, super imaging. They sound wonderful at low listening late at night 60db. The most I turn them up to in my room is maybe 88db or 90db, after that I start to lose imaging, I a bigger room they won’t lose any imaging. They don’t distort even when I crank them, my monoblocks put out 350 watts per at 8 ohms . I pair them with a pair of Rel T5x ‘s.
These NX Studios are shockingly good! I have heard a lot of gear over my 70 years.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2023, 01:19 am »
Hi everyone, I don’t post much anywhere on the internet or social media. I have owned my NX Studios for over a year. I have PS Audio M700 monoblocks and the stellar gain cell DAC  , class D . I have tried Schitt Freya with  my monoblocks, Freya with Vidars, Primaluna 300 integrated, all combinations of those. Also I just got a pair of LRS +’s in my room auditioning them. I will say any amp or combination there of sounds great with theses NX studios. As far as speakers I have compared them with such as the LRS+. KEF meta, JBL, there is NO comparison!!! The NX Studios in my 10 by 12 room, well treated, are so detailed, not harsh, super imaging. They sound wonderful at low listening late at night 60db. The most I turn them up to in my room is maybe 88db or 90db, after that I start to lose imaging, I a bigger room they won’t lose any imaging. They don’t distort even when I crank them, my monoblocks put out 350 watts per at 8 ohms . I pair them with a pair of Rel T5x ‘s.
These NX Studios are shockingly good! I have heard a lot of gear over my 70 years.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!