VMPS Subwoofer Original Smaller woofer and PR surrounds help

kilohertz

Hi All,

I dug out of the basement my old VMPS Smaller sub only to find both surrounds are toast. I have searched here and around the web and can't find any info on specific replacement surrounds. I know I can pull them all apart and make measurements but I know someone has been down this road before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GeorgeAb

I assume that is the 215 Subwoofer? Seen here: http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/subwoofers.htm

Per this post on replacement drivers https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113729.0 there are a couple listed. In a 215 I previosly owned it looked like this driver which is listed in replacement driver thread: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DCS305-4-12-Classic-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-204

I would pull them and look for the part number on the back.

kilohertz

I should have posted pics in my first post.

ZAKski288

These are the refoam kit I used, but you need to measure to make sure it will work. Also I used rubber surrounds on the passive radiators , they will last much longer.

Simply speakers   # FSK-12F

kilohertz

Thanks Zak, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

I pulled the woofer out last night and it is nothing special at first glance. Plain stamped frame, 2" VC. Do you know if those foam surrounds are the same for the 12" PR?

I have read that to remove the PR you need to knock the bottom plate off with a hammer. I haven't flipped the box over yet, hoping for screws.  :roll:   

As requested here are a few pics of the woofer.

cheers

ZAKski288

Yes, I think there the same
Here’s my passive, frame looks  the same as the woofer. Good  luck Zak

« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2023, 09:53 pm by ZAKski288 »

kilohertz

Thanks Zak,

Here is my PR. Do I win the prize for most deteriorated? Holy crap.
I think both the PR and woofer are "angle mount" foams. I'll have a closer look in the AM.
What I want from this sub is musical performance...I have HT covered in my other system.
I think I read that the PR cone of this vintage should be coated in PVA, I have it, and if it's the correct thing to do, I'll do it.

Cheers

ZAKski288

Here’s the link, scroll down to vitrifying your passive radiators.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47927.0

kilohertz

Thank you, I knew I saw it somewhere when I first started researching repairs for this.

Someone has, looks like hot glue, attached a lead or similar weight to the center cap and cone, quite messy. I'll try it as is before trying to remove it and start from scratch. It could be a real challenge to remove without damaging the cone.

cheers

ZAKski288

Re: VMPS Subwoofer Original Smaller woofer and PR surrounds help
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2023, 07:55 pm »
That looks like factory done, hot glue with a lead fishing weight, if it’s not loose I would probably leave alone. just the morite putty ( fingertip rope caulk ) missing on top, and there is somewhere on the site that tells you the correct amount to start with. I don’t remember where I saw that.

The putty covers all that.

kilohertz

Re: VMPS Subwoofer Original Smaller woofer and PR surrounds help
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2023, 10:26 pm »
Wow,okay, it looks more like a school kid did that for class project than a commercial enterprise.  :lol:  I will run it as is and I have a new box of Mortite for fine tuning. I'm not worried about the looks, I just wanted to start with something factory and it seems I have it.Now that you mention it I can see where the mortite was coiled up on it. And yes, I too saw that table with grams of mortite  for various configurations, it's on this site somewhere.

Thanks for all your help,much appreciated.

Cheers