14x12 Room

Ashfall

14x12 Room
« on: 14 Sep 2016, 04:12 am »
I may be converting an upstairs room, and am really interested in Salk at this point.  The room size is 14' x 12', with an 8.5' ceiling that slopes on the left and right to meet the walls 5' above the floor.  The front of the room is the 14' side.  The room is completely closed.

Will be used for listening in the dark for long periods of time, as well as 5.1 or 7.1 theater if I can fit some surrounds.

Which Salk series would be optimal for a room this size?  Would the SS8 be massive overkill?  I'm open to anything at or below that, as long as it works well with the room.  Trying to narrow it down a bit before seeking auditions.

phoward

Re: 14x12 Room
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:38 pm »
I am very happy with my HT-2TLs. Very easy to place in my room which is approximately your size - Good Luck!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2016, 05:24 pm »
I doubt if the SS8 would be acoustic overkill, although it might be physically large for a room like that.  Like all Salk speakers, it sounds excellent at low volumes as well as high volumes.

I would be more concerned about the speaker's weight, as you will be hauling them up a flight of stairs.  The HT2-TL weighs 80 lbs each, and the SS8 weighs 126 lbs each.

Jim Salk will have some good ideas about this.  Ask him.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2016, 06:17 pm »
You have to energize a large speaker like the SS8 and to do so properly, it will overpower your room that size. Likewise, you will not fully enjoy what you paid for. I suggest some Silks or maybe Exotica bookshelf with a small sub if you lean that way.

billmcc

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:13 pm »
My room is basically the same size but open on one end. I would think the SS8s would be overkill. I had Songtowers (dome tweeter) and now have 1801TLs. Both speakers are perfect in my room as I can't bring the speakers too far off the front wall. I would suggest the Veracity STs or the HT2-TLs in that sized room. But contacting Jim would be the best way to go as has already been suggested.

Bill

audiocrazy

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:20 pm »
I may be converting an upstairs room, and am really interested in Salk at this point.  The room size is 14' x 12', with an 8.5' ceiling that slopes on the left and right to meet the walls 5' above the floor.  The front of the room is the 14' side.  The room is completely closed.

Will be used for listening in the dark for long periods of time, as well as 5.1 or 7.1 theater if I can fit some surrounds.

Which Salk series would be optimal for a room this size?  Would the SS8 be massive overkill?  I'm open to anything at or below that, as long as it works well with the room.  Trying to narrow it down a bit before seeking auditions.
I'm enjoying my SS8 (actually BRM's blue SS8's) in my 16 (L) x 12 (W) x 8 (h) basement room. I had Song Towers before that.
However your challenge are the slopes in your room.
I've SS8's 18" from side wall and about 2.5 ft from the front wall and I sit about 10 ft away. These are the best speakers I've ever owned.
I think you need to ask Jim what speakers would work in your room.

Ashfall

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for all the great feedback.  I'll ask Jim!

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm »
There was/is some guy on AC that bought a full 5 channel Salk SS8 system for his small 10x12(?) room. Can't remember the dude's name but he did post photos.

billmcc

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm »
There was/is some guy on AC that bought a full 5 channel Salk SS8 system for his small 10x12(?) room. Can't remember the dude's name but he did post photos.
Wow! Is there enough room for a chair ;)?

Bill

DEP14

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2016, 12:21 pm »
I had mine in a 13x17 room, with a 9.5 foot ceiling.  I may be in the minority here, but my only real concern would be that sloping ceiling and where your speakers are placed vs where you sit.  You have limited options I am sure.  A great bookshelf design and a sub may give you more flexibility.  Or, a great powered bookshelf might be even better.

While they play very low and accurate, the SS8 isn't a "thumper" in the bass range.  Bass is harder to dial in than mids and treble, and that smaller room might complicate it.  You may have to place those speakers a bit closer to the wall than optimal, but you won't be dealing with ports.  Placing them closer to the rear and corners may lead to a bit of an increased and possibly more boomy bass response, but you might find that you like that.

Some pro's in the case of the SS8 for your application would be that is is not a ported design.  You can also play with the rear baffle to dial in the mids and highs.

You could also talk to jim about the SS7 either in a floorstanding or stand mounted design and get a smaller sub that you could blend with the mains and give you a little more in the way of placement options.

Or, possibly get one of Jim's new powered speaker designs, save some space in your rack in the process.  I've not heard Jim's powered speakers yet, but I've demo'd the DynAudio Focus XD series and came away incredibly impressed at the quality and output of the entire line-up.  It was likely the most impressive bookshelf I've heard (XD200).   Even the bass hit low and accurate.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2018, 02:49 am by DEP14 »

johzel

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2016, 01:04 pm »
You have to energize a large speaker like the SS8 and to do so properly, it will overpower your room that size. Likewise, you will not fully enjoy what you paid for. I suggest some Silks or maybe Exotica bookshelf with a small sub if you lean that way.

+1.

I had my Silk AT's in a room exactly that size and they were marvelous.

Ashfall

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm »
Today I was fortunate enough to audition Veracity HT3 in a room almost exactly the same dimensions, and found it to be quite amazing.  These blew away some B&W 800Ds I recently auditioned.  So I have no worries that these or similar would work.

I'm thinking HT2-TL or SC Songtowers would fit well, but haven't found any to audition around here yet.  Might just pull the trigger once the room is ready anyway.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:07 pm »
Today I was fortunate enough to audition Veracity HT3 in a room almost exactly the same dimensions, and found it to be quite amazing.  These blew away some B&W 800Ds I recently auditioned.  So I have no worries that these or similar would work.

I'm thinking HT2-TL or SC Songtowers would fit well, but haven't found any to audition around here yet.  Might just pull the trigger once the room is ready anyway.

Don't forget the Veracity ST, which are similar to both HT2-TL and SC Songtowers. I love mine. I'm about 2.5 hours east of you, it appears.

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:29 pm »
Don't forget the Veracity ST, which are similar to both HT2-TL and SC Songtowers. I love mine. I'm about 2.5 hours east of you, it appears.

Agreed.  the Veracity ST's are roughly the size of the SC SongTowers, but sound like the HT2-TL's.  Best of both worlds...

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm »

Speaking of the Exotica, BRM how about a review.  There doesn't seem to be many reviews of them out there.  You have had them a long time now and you do such excellent reviews.

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2016, 01:29 pm »
Speaking of the Exotica, BRM how about a review.  There doesn't seem to be many reviews of them out there.  You have had them a long time now and you do such excellent reviews.

Bob

Ha! Bob, keep stroking my ego and I just might. Once I get them back up and running in the new room!!

fsimms

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2016, 02:01 pm »
Ha! Bob, keep stroking my ego and I just might. Once I get them back up and running in the new room!!

Your words have made me a hopeful happy young man!  :D

(70 years young)  :thumb:

Bob

conanb

After audition update
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2018, 02:53 am »
After auditioning my Salk HT3s a couple of years ago, what have you gotten done?