Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #320 on: 27 Feb 2008, 07:53 pm »
shane mcgowan & the pogues are coming back to dc & b'more in march - i can't wait.  these guys can sing & play drunk better than most folks sober.  shane makes amy winehouse look like an amateur!   :lol:

doug s

BobM

« Reply #321 on: 27 Feb 2008, 08:21 pm »
Seeing Dianne Schuur at IMAC on Long Island this Saturday. Hoping to have a nice dinner beforehand in Huntington (without kids).

Next Saturday we're going to see the Monteray Jazz fest tour at CW Post College.

Also got tickets to see the Police and Elvis Costello at jones Beach theater (outside at the beach) over the summer (this one with the kids).

Enjoy,
Bob

questfortone

« Reply #322 on: 27 Feb 2008, 10:38 pm »
Last week Ted_B and I saw Wilco at Lakewood Civic Theater, in Lakewood, Ohio (Lakewood High School's auditorium) where they played:
1. Impossible Germany  2. Remember The Mountain Bed  3. You Are My Face  4. Side With The Seeds  5. Pot Kettle Black  6. She's A Jar  7. Handshake Drugs  8. Hummingbird  9. Summer Teeth  10. Jesus, Etc.  11. War On War  12. A Shot In The Arm  13. Via Chicago  14. Too Far Apart  15. I'm Always In Love  16. Airline To Heaven  17. California Stars  18. Theologians  19. Walken  20. I'm The Man Who Loves You  21. Kingpin  22. Heavy Metal Drummer  23. Can't Stand It  // E1: 24. Hate It Here 
It was a great concert and I recommend that if you get a chance - go and hear them live, they put on a great show.

tvyankee

« Reply #323 on: 28 Feb 2008, 12:04 am »
Just went to see Eric Clapton and Steve Windwood last night at MSG in New York.  They were excellent and they both looked great.  It's to bad that they will not being a tour because seeing these two guy's is a real treat.  Two more nights left so if you get a chance go check them out, you won't be let down.

jcpix

« Reply #324 on: 29 Feb 2008, 08:40 am »
I was at the last night of Winwood and Clapton at The Garden tonight and it was great.  Two of of the best living rock musicans with only three back up players on a very small stage with no dancers, explosions, wild video ect. This is how live music should be, and hopefully will catch on with today's younger players. It was very special to see a concert where the music was the main reason 16,000 people gathered for the night. Both Clapton and Winwood played their hearts out, truly a great night.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #325 on: 1 Mar 2008, 05:50 am »
I was at the last night of Winwood and Clapton at The Garden tonight and it was great.  Two of of the best living rock musicans with only three back up players on a very small stage with no dancers, explosions, wild video ect. This is how live music should be, and hopefully will catch on with today's younger players. It was very special to see a concert where the music was the main reason 16,000 people gathered for the night. Both Clapton and Winwood played their hearts out, truly a great night.

Their band was rounded out by Chris Stainton (keyboards), Willie Weeks (bass) and Ian Thomas (drums).

February 25, 2008 set list
Had To Cry Today
Low Down
Forever Man
Them Changes
Sleeping in the Ground
Presence of the Lord
Glad / Well Alright
Double Trouble
Pearly Queen
Tell The Truth
No Face
After Midnight
Split Decision
Ramblin' on My Mind
Georgia On My Mind
Little Wing
Voodoo Chile
Can't Find My Way Home
Dear Mr Fantasy

Encore: Crossroads

February 26, 2008 set list
Had To Cry Today
Low Down
Forever Man
Them Changes
Sleeping In The Ground
Presence Of The Lord
Glad / Well Alright
Double Trouble
Pearly Queen
Tell The Truth
No Face
After Midnight
Split Decision
Ramblin' on My Mind
Georgia On My Mind
Little Wing
Voodoo Chile
Can't Find My Way Home
Cocaine

Encore: Dear Mr Fantasy

February 28, 2008 Set List
Had To Cry Today
Low Down
Forever Man
Them Changes
Sleeping In The Ground
Presence Of The Lord
Glad / Well Alright
Double Trouble
Pearly Queen
Tell The Truth
No Face
After Midnight
Split Decision
Kind Hearted Woman Blues
Georgia On My Mind
Little Wing
Voodoo Chile
Can't Find My Way Home
Cocaine

Encore: Dear Mr Fantasy

jcpix

« Reply #326 on: 1 Mar 2008, 06:01 am »

Thanks for that Chris.  I hope they do a DVD, it would be a keeper.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #327 on: 1 Mar 2008, 06:02 am »

Thanks for that Chris.  I hope they do a DVD, it would be a keeper.
I'm with you on that.... 8)

Demarche

« Reply #328 on: 26 Mar 2008, 09:02 pm »
Just saw Carbon/Silicon @ Lola's Room. This is Mick Jones (Clash) & Tony James (Gen X) new project. Good stuff, not great, but still good. Mick is a legend and was great to watch. Britt Daniles & Jim Eno (both of Spoon) were in attendance whih ca was cool to see. Matt Pond PA played a great opening set. Now Springsteen on Friday night, not a bad week at all.

Folsom

« Reply #329 on: 28 Mar 2008, 06:42 am »
Michael Franti & Spearhead in Missoula, just got back. I got in for free, and uh well I was tabling for IWW but I got to watch all of it I wanted, the other guy was not that interested.

jcpix

« Reply #330 on: 11 Apr 2008, 02:56 am »
I saw Carbon/Silicon last weekend in New York.  I agree with Demarche they were good, not quite great. I think the boys did a little too much pre-show partying.  They were a bit too loose on stage, but it looked like they were having fun, which is good to see.   Photos from the show below.

« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2008, 03:30 am by jcpix »

chadh

« Reply #331 on: 11 Apr 2008, 03:08 am »

Brad Mehldau Trio, at the Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor. (Mehldau on piano, Larry Grenadier on bass and Jeff Ballard on drums).

I made a last minute decision to get a ticket, and enjoyed the show a lot.  It was the second time I had caught Mehldau, but honestly the first time was (apparently) forgetable.  Literally.  I can't remember anything about it.  But this time the show was really nice.  While Mehldau played well, the highlight was probably the bass work of Larry Grenadier.

Chad

WGH

« Reply #332 on: 16 Apr 2008, 03:20 pm »
Booker T and the MGs were fantastic. What more can you say about 4 professional musicians that have been playing together since 1962? They were beyond tight, Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald Duck Dunn, and Steve Potts fused together and played as a single entity with extraordinary technical ability.

Steve Cropper's guitar was featured the most, he is a very gifted player. Booker T's organ playing was more subdued and always soulful, but it was Duck Dunn's bass and Steve Potts' drums that drove the music forward like a unwavering sledgehammer.

Never cold or mechanical sounding, they played like four good friends playing music they knew very well and having a good time.

Centennial Hall on the UofA campus has a new state-of-the-art sound system so even though the music was fairly loud, the sound was very clear with tight thunderous bass drum kicks.

Highly recommended.

low.pfile

« Reply #333 on: 29 Apr 2008, 12:54 am »
Goldfrapp, The Warfield, San Francisco 4/26

Lots of energy there. Great fun. Fuzzy harp anyone?

RodMCV

« Reply #334 on: 9 May 2008, 03:23 am »
Leo Kotke at the Kimo in Albuquerque last night.
2 Hours of solo guitar finger technique Mastery on the six and 12 string.
When it was over it felt like 10 minutes gone by.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #335 on: 9 May 2008, 03:47 am »
Tonight I had the extreme privilege of sitting in the front row of Box 2 at Severance Hall and hearing Rimsky-Korsokov's Scheherazade (and a Cello concerto by Dvorak) done proudly by my Cleveland Orchestra.  I bought/won the seats, owned by Cleveland financial magnate and Orchestra Board President Jamie Ireland (Hanna Mining, Cleveland Cliffs), in a silent auction over a year ago.  I was not prepared for this.  The seats are dead center and first row balcony boxes; it doesn't get any better than this in this renovated hall known for its incredible acoustics.  Jamie and a few of his friends sat with us.  Very very kewl.  It's gonna be tough to sit anywhere else in that hallowed hall from now on.   :wink:

billc

« Reply #336 on: 9 May 2008, 05:47 am »
Last weekend: Jazzfest New Orleans (2nd weekend, Fri, Sat, and Sun).  Too many acts to name them all, all were very good to fantastic.  Great crowd vibe, great birthplace of jazz vibe, and it inspires the performers to more energized and interesting versions of their songs.  Performances attended included Richard Thompson (fantastic solo acoustic guitar sound and great songs); Stevie Wonder (usually uneven, but great version of Signed, Sealed, Delivered and many more hits delivered joyously), John Butler Trio; Tribute to Max Roach (with Shannon Powell and Jason Marsalis, unbelievably great percussion and song); Bobby McFerrin w Chick Corea (somewhat disappointing, sound system problems seemed to weigh on them); Stephanie Jordan Ensemble (fantastic trad jazz vocalist); Diana Krall (the highlight for me of Jazzfest - she made the big open stage work, and her band was excellent); Rotary Downs (previously unheard but sublime alt rock, channeling Television and Mitch Easter's Athens sound, with a hint of Wilco); Pfister Sisters (New Orleans version of Andrews Sisters with some serious sarcastic fun); Santana (better and more improvisational than usual); Raconteurs (w Jack White of White Stripes - a tremendous set featuring bluesy rock, and Enormous bass); Dianne Reeves (always great jazz vocal); and closing with Neville Bros (w Santana jamming. Nev Bros 30th anniversary and were they ever geared up to get the crowd jumping, great classic songs with New Orleans sound).  At least those are the acts I can remember.  I stopped by/checked in on many more performers, but did not write down all the names.  Happy ears for three days in a row.  Very good sound systems too.  Very clear, not bass boomy, tight punchy sound for all eight stages, each of which had continuous music from 11 am to 7 pm.  My second year in a row, and I can't imagine ever missing it in the future.

Bill C

Gordy

« Reply #337 on: 9 May 2008, 09:45 am »
Tonight I had the extreme privilege of sitting in the front row of Box 2 at Severance Hall and hearing Rimsky-Korsokov's Scheherazade (and a Cello concerto by Dvorak) done proudly by my Cleveland Orchestra. 

Extreme jealousy being felt here  :lol:  Scheherazade is one of my all time favorites, I think I have 5 versions of it and that's a lot for me!

arthurs

« Reply #338 on: 9 May 2008, 12:55 pm »
Roger Waters - Superpages outdoor amphitheater in Dallas.  He was in great voice and the band and set list were good.  Graphics and light show as always were unique and interesting.  Second half was DSOTM played front to back, a nice show all in all.

Demarche

« Reply #339 on: 10 May 2008, 05:18 pm »
Joe Jackson at the Aladdin Theater in Portland. He's touring as a trio, just him (with his grand piano), Graham Maby (bass) and Dave Houghton (drums). The arrangement on stage was a bit different with Joe on the left, Dave & his kit directly across from him on the right, and Graham between the 2 in the back. The drum kit was rather unique. It was a Roland kit, all electronic except the snare. My wife & I had the opportunity to talk to Dave Houghton after the show. He explained that Joe didn't want any of the other instruments to get picked up on the piano mics, so they used the electronic drum kit and also there was no bass amp on stage. They also all wore earpieces instead of using monitors. Dave said if you were backstage it sounds quite strange because you don't hear anything but the piano, the snare and the vocals. :scratch:
The show was quite good. The only sound issue was during the opening number, the classic 'Steppin' Out'. The bass line was a bit muddy but they fixed it quite quickly. The next song was 'Invisible Man', from the new album, and it sounded just fantastic. It was a good mix of new songs, older songs and an interesting cover of David Bowie's 'Scary Monsters'.
Here's the setlist:
Steppin' Out
Invisible Man
Chinatown
Wasted Time
King Pleasure Time
Radio
Solo (So Low)
Uptown Train
Scary Monsters
Different for Girls
Good Bad Boy