ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

tomm

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1080 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:13 pm »
Has anybody tried RCA(USA made) or Sylvania 5ar4  FAT BOY / BIG BOTTLE?  Curious on the difference between the GZ37 & EML.  Thanks.

Berto

« Reply #1081 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:28 pm »
 I requested a "fat bottle" CV378 from my Brimar dealer in UK and he said I would have to wait till he gets pregnant.  Funny thing is only took 3 days from conception to birth and now my baby will arrive by Friday.
  Rydenfan got me REAL curious ever since he preferred that over EML. Safe to say one of these rectifiers will be a damn good backup. Excited to roll it with the 6SN7s to hear the difference.  :drool: After this besides trying a few more 6SN7s, diff cords etc, I'm done. Question is, are we really ever done.. :icon_lol:
  In regards to Jwes , I heard an IMMEDIATE better sound distinction with the EML but compared to the stock rectifier, it's prob not saying a whole helluva lot.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1082 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:37 pm »
Question is, are we really ever done.. :icon_lol:

I am getting darn close...

Tubes:  set on TS 6SN7 Round Plates (still want to try EML rectifier, but extremely happy with BEL GZ34)

Power Cord:  set with Kaplan Cable copper conditioner cord

Platform:  set with the Sistrum SP-101

The next major step for me will be sending my unit back for the Platinum or Hyper-drive mods.  That won't happen until I have to make my next business trip as I don't want to be without my TP.   aa

George

rydenfan

« Reply #1083 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:36 pm »
I requested a "fat bottle" CV378 from my Brimar dealer in UK and he said I would have to wait till he gets pregnant.  Funny thing is only took 3 days from conception to birth and now my baby will arrive by Friday.
  Rydenfan got me REAL curious ever since he preferred that over EML. Safe to say one of these rectifiers will be a damn good backup. Excited to roll it with the 6SN7s to hear the difference.  :drool: After this besides trying a few more 6SN7s, diff cords etc, I'm done. Question is, are we really ever done.. :icon_lol:

It is certainly a different sound and I will be curious what you think. To me, the GZ37 is a bit softer and more sophisticated on the to end with the EML being more energetic. What type of mood I am in and what components I am listening to certainly he an effect on my preference. Nice to have options  :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #1084 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:37 pm »
Question is, are we really ever done.. :icon_lol:

I am getting darn close...

must be a nice feeling  :lol:

modwright

« Reply #1085 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:38 pm »
RE new and esoteric tubes that are of questionable use in the Transporter, in the case of the driver tubes, I really need both datasheets and a pair to test in a unit here on the bench to ascertain their viability.  I offer this service as a way of keeping our cutomers from damaging valuable tubes or damaging the unit itself.

Thanks,

Dan W.

tomm

« Reply #1086 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:45 pm »
Dan,
Are there any plans in future TP mods as to have a choice of 6sn7 or 6cg7 socket?
Thanks.

Berto

« Reply #1087 on: 25 Mar 2009, 01:42 am »

It is certainly a different sound and I will be curious what you think. To me, the GZ37 is a bit softer and more sophisticated on the to end with the EML being more energetic. What type of mood I am in and what components I am listening to certainly he an effect on my preference. Nice to have options  :thumb:

I wonder have you Rydenfan or anyone tested the GZ37 with the 6SN7s.  Cant be bad with some round plates , those add energy to everything.

rydenfan

« Reply #1088 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:02 am »
my last evaluations of Rectifiers has been with the 6SN7 signal tubes. So, yes I have listened to it with the round plates  :D

tdangelo

« Reply #1089 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:09 am »

I wonder have you Rydenfan or anyone tested the GZ37 with the 6SN7s.  Cant be bad with some round plates , those add energy to everything.

I've been using mine with a GZ37 and some 1952 6HC8 which are supposed to sound as good as the round plates.  It sound's very nice BUT I like the EML tube better.  I just sent my TP off today to get the platinum mods so I can use the EML safely.  I look forward to getting it back  :drool:

jwes

« Reply #1090 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:56 pm »
Quick "very early" listening impressions.  My TP has the newer platinum mods/bybee.  Signal tubes are the Tung Sol round plates.  The change is swapping out the fat black base Mullard 5AR4/GZ34, and putting in the new EML.

Well, I have only about 10 hours so this is quite early, but right now there are somewhat mixed results.  I find the highs to be fairly equivalent - nicely detailed and not overbearing.  Mids I find a bit of advantage in the EML.  There is a bit of increased liquidity and the soundstage is better defined.  These are two qualities I really enjoy.  But the difference over the Mullard is only slight.

One thing I'm not liking as much yet is the bass.  There is plenty of bass, but it is softer.  Hard drum thwacks are coming across as somewhat fuzzy.  They were cleaner and tigher with the GZ34.  But like I said this is very early.  I'm quite surprised right now to see the EML as the softer, somewhat more nuanced tube.

Next week after some real burn in time I'll do a more comprehensive job.

Jim

modwright

« Reply #1091 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:04 pm »
To answer the question about offering the Transporter mod with choice of 6CG7 (noval - 9pin) or 6SN7 (octal) tube sockets, I believe this to be the best solution.

First of all, I believe that the use of Octal sockets is a perfectly acceptable way to go.  If you are worrying about another point of connection, then I would advise using some sort of deoxit type cleaner for the pins of the adaptor.  BE CAREFUL about applying such cleaners to the tube pins however, as some are too aggressive and can compromise the tube's vacuum.

We are currently making the following changes to all new mods and all units that come back in for upgrades:

100uf caps replaced with 22uf caps to allow for use of EML and other rectifiers.
MWI signal capacitors near tube sockets moved to bottom of PCB to alleviate any physical conflicts with different adaptors.
Signal tube holes are punched to larger diameter (all but earliest units already feature this) to accomodate different tubes/adaptors.

Thanks!

Dan W.

Berto

« Reply #1092 on: 2 Apr 2009, 07:52 pm »

Yes I agree 100% the CV378 is softer and smoother on top, and VERY intoxicating, but  EML wins flat out in dynamics and slam, but wouldn't say the EML is more resolving just louder and more energetic for sure.

Had the extreme pleasure to be a indirect guest of Phil Lesh's to see 3 live free Dead shows at 3 different small venues  in NYC Monday nite.  First show I downloaded in FLAC off of etree I got was the third set. A two hr electric at the Roseland which was recorded HOT (high levels).  This is a great example of when I would prefer the CV378 and its smoother top end. The EML just exposes the less then perfect recording while the CV378 smooth it out and makes it more enjoyable.  I could live with either, but rather live with both as they will last longer sharing time.

funkmonkey

« Reply #1093 on: 3 Apr 2009, 02:14 am »
My TS rounds arrived today  :thumb:, it's going to be another week or so until the adapters arrive.  But I have to reiterate what a great combo the HW CV-378 + RCA cleartops is.  My system has remained unchanged for a few weeks now so all tubes are fully broken in and they really are sounding sweet. 

I pulled one of the cleartops today and took a look inside the transporter to see how close the caps are to the sockets, and sure enough one of them is tight up next to the front socket, so when the adapters get here I will have to do some filing/grinding.  I wound up choosing to go with the the Taiwanese version because they are the most cost effective, and compact (no matter how much I would like to support Waynes efforts, the cost and extended height was just too much of a detractor for me).  They are no longer the blue/orange johnnys that some of you guys have, but are now made in basic black.  Not that it matters really, as they only seen when you install them.  I had to wait a week or two for them to be back in stock, seems there was some kind of rush on them a few weeks back, and the supplier was cleaned out...   :scratch: hmmm...  I wonder what could have caused that.  :wink:

Next step would be to get ahold of a EML to try out.

By the lack of activity in this thread I think we can assume that everybody is still happy with that combo, huh.
Anyone brave enough to shell out for the Swedish Standard 33S30's that Marco posted a pager or two ago?  I see they have had at least one offer made on them  :wink:

Bigfish

« Reply #1094 on: 3 Apr 2009, 12:32 pm »
My TS rounds arrived today  :thumb:, it's going to be another week or so until the adapters arrive.  But I have to reiterate what a great combo the HW CV-378 + RCA cleartops is.  My system has remained unchanged for a few weeks now so all tubes are fully broken in and they really are sounding sweet. 

I pulled one of the cleartops today and took a look inside the transporter to see how close the caps are to the sockets, and sure enough one of them is tight up next to the front socket, so when the adapters get here I will have to do some filing/grinding.  I wound up choosing to go with the the Taiwanese version because they are the most cost effective, and compact (no matter how much I would like to support Waynes efforts, the cost and extended height was just too much of a detractor for me).  They are no longer the blue/orange johnnys that some of you guys have, but are now made in basic black.  Not that it matters really, as they only seen when you install them.  I had to wait a week or two for them to be back in stock, seems there was some kind of rush on them a few weeks back, and the supplier was cleaned out...   :scratch: hmmm...  I wonder what could have caused that.  :wink:

Next step would be to get ahold of a EML to try out.

By the lack of activity in this thread I think we can assume that everybody is still happy with that combo, huh.
Anyone brave enough to shell out for the Swedish Standard 33S30's that Marco posted a pager or two ago?  I see they have had at least one offer made on them  :wink:

Congratulations on scoring a pair of the Tung-Sol Round Plates.  You will not reqret the purchase although the wallet probably seems a little lighter.  Once you roll-in the Round Plates I think you will immediately hear why so many of us fell in love with these tubes.

I think the fast paced activity of this thread is probably coming to a close.  It is surprising with the many different systems most of us have concluded that the EML 5U4G Rectifer or HW 378 Rectifier with the Tung Sol 6SN7 Round Plates are the best tubes for our ModWright Transporters.  Anyone purchasing a unit from Dan today should just plan on buying one of these combinations because, frankly, they are just that good!

Some of us are searching for alternatives to the Round Plates by looking at 7N7's and other varities.  To date the searches have not born fruit!  The reason behind this is that the Round Plates are already expensive and the price will only continue to rise.  NOS versions will become extinct.  Stay tuned we will keep you posted if we strike gold!

Ken

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1095 on: 3 Apr 2009, 03:38 pm »
To date the searches have not born fruit! 

Dude, you need to buy one of my shirts.  :thumb: End shameless plug.

kenreau

« Reply #1096 on: 3 Apr 2009, 03:53 pm »

Marco,

I'm digging the shirt design  :thumb:.  If that is your design and/or you have others, I would like to learn more.  Maybe you could send a pm.

This reminds me of something though.  I really like to share/show my interests (hobbies, music, etc) on shirts like these but really have grown tired of the traditional "Black" concert t-shirt color.  I'm going to start a "group" thread on Facebook, and maybe here on AC, to join if you would like to see music/concert t-shirts in colors other than Black.  Look for it this weekend.

Kenreau

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1097 on: 3 Apr 2009, 04:08 pm »

Marco,

I'm digging the shirt design  :thumb:.  If that is your design and/or you have others, I would like to learn more.  Maybe you could send a pm.

This reminds me of something though.  I really like to share/show my interests (hobbies, music, etc) on shirts like these but really have grown tired of the traditional "Black" concert t-shirt color.  I'm going to start a "group" thread on Facebook, and maybe here on AC, to join if you would like to see music/concert t-shirts in colors other than Black.  Look for it this weekend.

Kenreau

Thanks, Kenreau.  Yes, that is my design.  I only have one other that may amuse you as far as Audiophile designs go.  I plan on making a few more as they've actually both sold pretty well over the years. I can put the design on any color or style of shirt or item that is available on Cafe Press, including sweatshirts, baby clothing, throw pillows, and all sorts of very useful items  :lol: If you want me to make either design available on something specific, just let me know.  I need to get with Dan about the possibility of making some of my Modwright designs available here as I know some folks would enjoy them.

kenreau

« Reply #1098 on: 3 Apr 2009, 07:03 pm »

Marco,

Kenreau

Thanks, Kenreau.  Yes, that is my design.  I only have one other that may amuse you as far as Audiophile designs go.  I plan on making a few more as they've actually both sold pretty well over the years. I can put the design on any color or style of shirt or item that is available on Cafe Press, including sweatshirts, baby clothing, throw pillows, and all sorts of very useful items  :lol: If you want me to make either design available on something specific, just let me know.  I need to get with Dan about the possibility of making some of my Modwright designs available here as I know some folks would enjoy them.

Excellent.  I would also be very interested in a MWI logo shirt or two. 

Btw, I just noticed your listening to "Vienna Tang".  I'm in Portland and recently noticed she is performing here in the near future.  I just recently picked up a couple of her cds and have enjoyed them so far.

Thanks again,
Kenreau

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1099 on: 3 Apr 2009, 07:50 pm »

Marco,

Kenreau

Excellent.  I would also be very interested in a MWI logo shirt or two. 

Btw, I just noticed your listening to "Vienna Tang".  I'm in Portland and recently noticed she is performing here in the near future.  I just recently picked up a couple of her cds and have enjoyed them so far.

Thanks again,
Kenreau

I just heard back from Dan on this and he's given me his blessings to create products on CafePress with some of the designs I've created for his ads and promotional material customized to the specific product.  The small profit from the products would go to me to compensate for the time it takes me to put that together, and it will NOT be financially be tied to MWI in any way.  All designs would be Dan-approved before posting them.  Rather than continuing to hijack the tube thread I will promise to begin another thread once I get that up and running.  It does take some time, and I may not be able to get to it for a few weeks, but I'll get it done.  PM me with any comments or requests, but please don't post additional comments here.

My apologies for the thread hijack, folks.   :peek:

Yes, Vienna Tang's CD's are just beautifully recorded as well.  I did know she was appearing in Portland, but I think I have a conflict around that date.  If she decides to add a date in Seattle I'll try to catch her up here.  Thanks for the heads up.

Back on topic; I recently scored a 1960's Mullard military GZ37 / CV378 from Kuhl tubes, for a forgiving price on eBay.  It made for a very nice improvement over the TungSol 5U4 which I find a bit punchier in comparison.  The CV378 does tend to soften the edges a bit, but does not seem to sacrifice detail in the process.  I'm comparing them currently with RCA 6CG7 cleartops.  This does make me wonder about the HW version - is it a huge improvement over the military version (tallboy)?