ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #920 on: 5 Mar 2009, 02:57 am »
You folks are just starting to scratch the surface with signal tubes for the transporter. In the spirit of full disclosure, I do not own a Modwright transporter, but must admit that I find it intriguing. One tube that I would be looking to try would be a 6C8-G(amplification factor of 36). This is similar to a 6SN7(amplification factor of 20) with a grid cap. It's a medium mu triode. You would need an adapter for this application, but I'm sure the good folks at Bolder could help you out there. It uses a octal socket. Pay special attention towards the space needed for the grid lead so that it may pass through the opening of the top plate before taking the plunge.These NOS tubes are cheap and plentiful. Again, this is one option for those who like to roll! :wink:

Best,

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #921 on: 5 Mar 2009, 03:10 am »
George,
Do you mean it would need a DIFFERENT octal socket than what we use today for 6SN7 TP rolling?  In what way different?  Thanks
Ted

rydenfan

« Reply #922 on: 5 Mar 2009, 03:13 am »
Another adapter, just shoot me now  :o    :uzi:

NickS

« Reply #923 on: 5 Mar 2009, 05:49 pm »
Do you mean it would need a DIFFERENT octal socket than what we use today for 6SN7 TP rolling?  In what way different?  Thanks

Would probably look a lot like this one with the wire lead for the grid cap of the 6C8G:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #924 on: 5 Mar 2009, 06:00 pm »
Thanks to Phil and Dan I successfully surgically altered my Transporter lid (black).  I increased the signal tube holes size to the 1 5/8" (similar to rectifier hole).  Thanks to Phil for the loan of the Greenlee conduit punch and for the instructions and confidence to try this, and to Dan for some valuable advice (including making sure I taped the lid work area with clear packing tape to ward off scratches, etc as I lined up the punch for the new hole). NOTE:  those of you unaware, Phil and my TP's were the earlier versions that had only 1" holes.  Most of the rest of you are fine and the stock hole openings can accommodate Wayne's adapters, and likely the ones NickS is showing.  However, once again, whether it's the early version or whatever, but my board layout precludes me from using anything but Wayne's nice tall and slender adapters.  The Taiwanese ones shown here won't work for me; the MW caps are nestled right next to the socket and the girth of these shorter adapters would require major surgery (it's one thing to think about cosmetic surgery... :)  ..another entirely to think about open heart!! )

Philistine

« Reply #925 on: 5 Mar 2009, 09:09 pm »

Would probably look a lot like this one with the wire lead for the grid cap of the 6C8G:

Nick, Thanks for highlighting these adapters.  JG2 has been looking at them the last week or so and checking the compatibility with the TP - at this stage we don't have the green light to use them until the pin configuration has been confirmed.  My recommendation would be for anyone to hold off until we have confirmation from the Modwright mother ship,

It looks like I'm the bearer of bad news the last few days, but I would prefer to play safe rather than be without my TP if it has to go to the ER in Amboy :(

Philistine

« Reply #926 on: 5 Mar 2009, 09:25 pm »
Thanks to Phil and Dan I successfully surgically altered my Transporter lid (black).  I increased the signal tube holes size to the 1 5/8" (similar to rectifier hole).  Thanks to Phil for the loan of the Greenlee conduit punch and for the instructions and confidence to try this, and to Dan for some valuable advice (including making sure I taped the lid work area with clear packing tape to ward off scratches, etc as I lined up the punch for the new hole). NOTE:  those of you unaware, Phil and my TP's were the earlier versions that had only 1" holes.  Most of the rest of you are fine and the stock hole openings can accommodate Wayne's adapters, and likely the ones NickS is showing.  However, once again, whether it's the early version or whatever, but my board layout precludes me from using anything but Wayne's nice tall and slender adapters.  The Taiwanese ones shown here won't work for me; the MW caps are nestled right next to the socket and the girth of these shorter adapters would require major surgery (it's one thing to think about cosmetic surgery... :)  ..another entirely to think about open heart!! )

Ted, looks like we've passed TP modding phase one for beginners, we're on the path to become certified MW technicians - with the emphasis on certified :lol:

I have the Taiwanese adapters and Wayne's.
A few of us have tried the Taiwanese adapters and found that they brush against one or both of the capacitors next to the tube sockets, see photo:

We've been able to resolve the problem by taking a Dremel and shaving off a little of the adapter.  I understand that their is some tolerance in the position of the capacitors and the length of the 'legs', this tolerance will impact on how easy these adapters are to fit or not.  Something to be aware of.

(Thanks to the photo owner for allowing me to use it without advance permission)   

funkmonkey

« Reply #927 on: 5 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm »
Any sonic differences between the Taiwanese adapters and Wayne's?

Philistine

« Reply #928 on: 5 Mar 2009, 11:52 pm »

Greg, I don't expect to hear any differences but will be doing an AB comparison over the weekend and will post any findings.
Phil

NickS

« Reply #929 on: 6 Mar 2009, 12:21 am »

ted_b,

Hope that the image I posted was helpful in answering your question regarding differences in a prospective adapter for 6C8G tubes.

Congratulations on successfully getting the driver tube holes modified on your early MWTP!

I'm going to retire from further adapter posting as I have found contentment with the EML/TS round plates and don't wish to provoke unintended arousals.

Best,

Nick

funkmonkey

« Reply #930 on: 6 Mar 2009, 01:04 am »

Greg, I don't expect to hear any differences but will be doing an AB comparison over the weekend and will post any findings.
Phil

Thanks Phil.  Does 1-5/8" provide additional clearance for the 6SN7's?  or the short adapter?  My signal tube holes look to be about 1-3/8".  So I'm guessing they would need to be enlarged also if I were to go with a more compact adapter...  how wide are the tubes? and adapters?  extra space for ventilation?
-Greg

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #931 on: 6 Mar 2009, 01:10 am »
Greg,
As I mentioned earlier, those holes are fine.  They fit Wayne's adapters nicely, and the Taiwanese ones are actually fitted under the lid.  Then the hole simply needs to be large enough for the full socket accessibility, which it is.  You'll still have issues with the width of the adapter in relation to the MW cap, regardless of hole size.

funkmonkey

« Reply #932 on: 6 Mar 2009, 05:36 am »
Like Phil mentioned though, nothing a little grinding can't fix. 
Thanks for going the extra mile to explore this option.  :thumb:

Berto

« Reply #933 on: 6 Mar 2009, 07:12 pm »
     Just purchased 3 NOS matched pairs of U.K made Brimar 1950's blk coated glass 6SN7s from a 30yr valve veteran who uses them himself and thinks they sound the best. Here is a quote regarding my question of how he liked the Tung Sol round plates in comparison. (bought 3 pairs b/c amp also requires a quad)

"
       Hello Rob
I had them and the sound OK but lack dynamics and depth. I use the same valves as I showed you ..following many attempt to get a better sound even with ECC32. The thing is only one: 6SN7GT was the valve...then other variation did not work great because of the filament impedance. The Brimar had the best treatment for filament's impurity, the Tungsol are a bit more rough, smooth at times but seems they push too much. I do not like aggressive sound..I better have an amp that gives 12.5watts other then 13.5 watts that difference is most of times amplified but the input valve such as the 6SN7 and the quality of the Brimar is second to none

This is only one man's opinion until I actually get them in a week. I paid alot for the TS rounds so believe me Im not looking to bash here, just another roll'er searching for audio nirvana. I love a good heavyweight fight, so stay tuned!  PS..They can't be bad, he offered me a money back guarantee if I don't like them, already like this guy alot.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #934 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:26 pm »
Berto,
Have you heard your TS rounds yet?  If so, this will be great.  I'd LOVE for you to find an inexpensive alternative, or one that does others things as well as the TS round does it's thing.  It's all about pushing the envelope for better and better sound.  As David pointed out, logically there is almost no way the EML/TS round plate is the best of the best for all ears/rooms/systems/tastes.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #935 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:40 pm »
Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I will have the EML tube in my possession next week to try in my system with the Round Plates.

I will be comparing the EML to the BEL GZ34 that is currently being used.

George

Berto

« Reply #936 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:56 pm »
Berto,
Have you heard your TS rounds yet?  If so, this will be great.  I'd LOVE for you to find an inexpensive alternative, or one that does others things as well as the TS round does it's thing.  It's all about pushing the envelope for better and better sound.  As David pointed out, logically there is almost no way the EML/TS round plate is the best of the best for all ears/rooms/systems/tastes.

No I have not, but hey they have waited over 50years for my octal adaptors, what's another week :icon_lol:
    Getting my adaptors no later then next Friday as promised, and only have a pair of TS rounds(since so expensive) so cannot even vouch for them in my amp (needs quad).
     Not sure what the shipping time from UK to NY is but no rush since that will give me time to roll the TS rounds and the RCA VT-231's. I really love the 1940s RCA-VT-231's Grey Glass in my Amp, so when package does arrive I will also be anxious to see what the 50s Brimar can do, as I was told these things really SING :o
     I was told there were only a few thousand 50s coated long envelope Brimar 6SN7s even made, seems that way since I've been combin the net searchin high and low, and only found CV1988s from 70s diff construction and were told not as good.
     Not sure how good I'm at describing sounds variations but I will do my best.  When the time comes.
     I agree with David 100%. to each is own, you tailor your own system ,to how your own ear's percieve it to sound best!

mikel51

Sadness
« Reply #937 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:25 am »
 :cry: :cry:  When I went to listen to music this evening, my EML mesh 5u4 was dead...it was cold... no filament light....its back to the metal base GZ34 :cry: :cry:

rydenfan

Re: Sadness
« Reply #938 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:48 am »
:cry: :cry:  When I went to listen to music this evening, my EML mesh 5u4 was dead...it was cold... no filament light....its back to the metal base GZ34 :cry: :cry:

WOW! That sucks! How long have you had it? I believe they have a warranty.

mikel51

« Reply #939 on: 7 Mar 2009, 03:00 am »
Its about a month old.  George answered my email pretty quickly and said to send it back to him for replacement.  :thumb: