Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:39 pm »
SCCA =  Spoiled Children Crash Automobiles

*Scotty*

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:48 pm »
For what it's worth, my brother in-law has been down on them since they implemented iDrive. He thinks that they felt that they had to keep up with Mercedes electronic cockpit offerings and weren't ready for prime time. His bimmer predates iDrive.
Scotty

stlrman

Re: Older BMW 3 series SOLD!!!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm »
Sold! Sooooo happy!! :thumb: :D

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:25 am »
The wagons are under appreciated.  Nice choice!

stlrman

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
Thanks mcgxr! I like that it feels way more roomy than the 3 series that I was looking at . It has the huge sunroof of the SUVs, it drives like a dream!!!!! It has navigation, a small but roomy trunk. I feel like I am in the cockpit of a fighter jet. It handled awesome on some curvy roads. Great acceleration, fantastic braking, and corners like a champ.
I got 5,500$ for my 2003 Lexus rx300 which needed $1000 worth of new tires.  payments are $150  :o for five years.     About $8500 worth of payments. I feel like I stole this thing.
Super happy with the performance of this vehicle!! :thumb: :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:16 am »
How much will new tires cost on the Bimmer?
Scotty
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2015, 03:21 am by *Scotty* »

stlrman

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:01 am »
About 1/3 more expensive on average.

revrob

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:11 am »
Last year I purchased a 2006 BMW 550i with 110,000 mile. It was a former CPO and had been dealer maintained. I purchased new tires, $700, and had the oil changed. The local BMW dealer I brought it to said it needed nothing, a first from a dealer for me. You could never tell it is 9 years old with 121,000 miles on it. It drives better than some new cars I have been in.

I love it and it was worth the $11,000.00 I paid for it, it always bring a smile to me face when I drive it.

Good luck.

*Scotty*

« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:20 am »
It figures, and you can't put crap tires on a vehicle whose suspension is designed for high performance tires. The spring rates and shock absorbers/struts are designed to work within a narrow range of tire sidewall compliances. I tried it once, substituting a set of H rated tires for V rated tires and it was like driving on marbles,D'oh! Of course going up to Z rated rubber was no problem except for my finances.
Scotty

revrob

« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm »
I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires on my car, which is one that is highly recommended.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm »
For what it's worth, my brother in-law has been down on them since they implemented iDrive. He thinks that they felt that they had to keep up with Mercedes electronic cockpit offerings and weren't ready for prime time. His bimmer predates iDrive.
Scotty

I actually think iDrive is easier to use and more intuitive than the similar functionality from MB and Audi.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:03 pm »
How much will new tires cost on the Bimmer?
Scotty

Really depends on a variety of factors:  How do you drive?  What are the weather conditions?  What do you prioritize - ride comfort, performance, etc...?

For both of my BMW's, I ditched the stock run flats and went with traditional tires. 

Because I live in the Northeast, I went with two sets of tires/wheels - a high performance summer set and snow tire based winter set

To learn more about what tires would work well, tirerack.com is a great place to start.

George

stlrman

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:19 pm »
Hi George,
How do you run regular tires? There is no room for a spare.
What happens if I get a flat on the turnpike ? Do I get towed?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:21 pm »
Hi George,
How do you run regular tires? There is no room for a spare.
What happens if I get a flat on the turnpike ? Do I get towed?

I call AAA and get towed.

I hate the ride and noise of the run flats and they are very, very, very expensive (especially in a high performance summer tire).

George

Gopher

« Reply #34 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:20 pm »
My 2003 BMW 540i was the best car I ever owned and I still miss it.  At around 80k, maintenance became a bitch--cooling system, suspension, vcgs, etc., and I ended up trading it at about 110k towards an Infiniti G37x...  ironically my Inifiniti salesman owned an E39 540i as well and told me I'm not going to be happy, lol.

Tip:  If you go for the car, find yourself a good independent mechanic who knows the vehicle and is reasonable.

asliarun

« Reply #35 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:40 pm »
Very interesting and information thread.

If one wanted to buy a used luxury car or SUV that was low maintenance, reliable, built well, and is fun to drive, what would the forum members pick? Budget: $15-$20k.

(OP: Hope I am not taking this thread offtrack. If so, please let me know and I will delete this post. I too was looking for similar answers so I thought making the question a bit more open ended might help.)

stlrman

« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:48 pm »
No problem at all.
The thing is I doubt you can find a more fun , exciting car to drive period.  I might look at used Lexus is 250

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:52 pm »
Very interesting and information thread.

If one wanted to buy a used luxury car or SUV that was low maintenance, reliable, built well, and is fun to drive, what would the forum members pick? Budget: $15-$20k.

(OP: Hope I am not taking this thread offtrack. If so, please let me know and I will delete this post. I too was looking for similar answers so I thought making the question a bit more open ended might help.)

Sure you wouldn't like to cure cancer and bring peace to all while asking for everything on your list?   :lol: :lol:

Where do you live?

Do you want a coupe, sedan, or hatch?

How many people need to comfortably fit in it?

How many miles a year do you drive?

Probably lots of other questions to help you narrow down your search.

George

asliarun

« Reply #38 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:44 pm »
Sure you wouldn't like to cure cancer and bring peace to all while asking for everything on your list?   :lol: :lol:

Where do you live?

Do you want a coupe, sedan, or hatch?

How many people need to comfortably fit in it?

How many miles a year do you drive?

Probably lots of other questions to help you narrow down your search.

George

Hahaha touche!

I live in Chicago, and there are 4 of us (2 kids). I currently have a 2004 Acura MDX - which actually drives well, but was looking for alternatives. This will be mostly a weekend car - average 20-30 miles a day including long road trips. Fuel efficiency would really not be a concern.

The budget is actually flexible - I was looking to understand what people would consider a "good used car" in the older luxury car segment. I also wanted to know about both sedan and SUV options. If sedan, it would be a second car, and if SUV, it would be a replacement. But I do like cars that are engineered well, and feel solid. In fact to that extent, I find the new MDX more plasticky than my older model, although it does have all the fancy gadgetry that most new cars nowadays have. I'm happy with my radio and Garmin GPS!

stlrman

« Reply #39 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:34 pm »
You will get more response starting your own thread .