Speaker __ sounds like, and speaker __ sounds like..

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Is there a source/guide/website etc. that describes what different types of speakers sound like? For example: KEF speakers in general sound like____, Paradigm in general sound like____ etc.. I know its very subjective but when your in the market for speakers where does one start?
Obviously budget is always a factor and everyone's tastes differ but all that aside is there like a guide somewhere that describes characteristics of each manufacturer. I'm talking finished take them out of the boxes and play them speakers not kits. Thanks :thumb: :thumb:

WGH

Re: Speaker __ sounds like, and speaker __ sounds like..
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 08:00 pm »
I don't know of a single source but we could start one here. Leo Kottke describes his singing voice as "Geese farts on a muggy day", unfortunately I am not that lyrical so I'll have to improvise.

Based on what I heard at the 2009 RMAF my Von Schweikert VR2's with AVA electronics sound similar to Odyssey Audio Lorelei speakers with Odyssey electronics.

Paradigm speakers sound like they were designed by a machine with no soul.

EthanH

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 08:21 pm »
The SonicFlare "sonic circle" sort of does what you ask.

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/sonicflares-sonic-circle.php

I think the sonic circle was a great idea to give readers an idea of a particular component's overall signature, but it's a bummer that they seem to never use it in their reviews.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2010, 08:39 pm »
It's amazing how many different speakers are out there. I Googled "Speaker Characteristics" + "Reviews" and found audioreviews and paged thru like 20 web pages of different speakers..I think I made it to letter M manufacturers before I wondered away...LOL!!
 I'll check out sonicflare...Thanks guys!!

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
There's an extensive list of speaker manufacturers here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/100022-complete-list-speaker-manufacturers.html

...But I would suspect there are too many variables involved to nail down the characteristics of a certain speaker without knowing what's driving them at least? Most of the time we don't even know what electronics the speakers are being tuned with, which I suspect could probably serve as a baseline for starters.

I think the consumers and reviewers have the best intentions when trying to describe a speaker's sound, but then you bring them home and... :o

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2010, 12:45 am »
OK...its a big list!! Whoever made it deserves huge props!!
I'm curious how much different Magneplans or Martin Logan would be compared to 3-way floorstanders??
I like nice tight mids and bass, I base all my listening on the ability to be able to reproduce the drum sound that was recorded..good drum sound on the right speakers is awesome, visceral, do Mags and ML type speakers loose that detail? gain more of that detail??

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 01:37 am »
There's an extensive list of speaker manufacturers here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/100022-complete-list-speaker-manufacturers.html

A very long list, but when you realize it's incomplete it's all the more surprising.

I enjoyed this embedded list of the top 105 most expensive speakers, all over $100,000:
http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm