doug s.

Phil A

Re: Show coverage day 1
« Reply #101 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
Great pics and coverage!!

JakeJ

« Reply #102 on: 16 Oct 2011, 12:04 am »
I will add my thanks to the pile, gents.  I really feel like this is some of the best coverage going of an audio show because of your "jaded opinions" which always seem to ring with some truth.

Kudos and again thanks!! :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #103 on: 16 Oct 2011, 12:16 am »
No beer?!? Like Mona Lisa without her smile.  :D

Oh I offered, but he politely declined. Which leaves me with a fridge full of beer (other than the exception of Eric, who put down a few with me). What to do (Newcastle in hand :lol:)?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #104 on: 16 Oct 2011, 12:32 am »
Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Never been to one of these kinds of "audio shows" but it sure looks fun!
Also it looks to me from the pics, in the IRIS room, that the YG speakers are powered by Parasound Amps. Looks like JC models??? Maybe some one can chime in.
Anyway I wish I could be at this show. It looks awesome....
Yes, JC-1.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #105 on: 16 Oct 2011, 01:28 am »
Great work fellas, much appreciated and the picture quality is spectacular  :thumb:

Anand.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #106 on: 16 Oct 2011, 01:35 am »
++++++1.  The commentary is a hoot and appreciated and, as already said, the pics are fab.  Thanks much you guys.

OzarkTom

« Reply #107 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:10 am »
Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Never been to one of these kinds of "audio shows" but it sure looks fun!
Also it looks to me from the pics, in the IRIS room, that the YG speakers are powered by Parasound Amps. Looks like JC models??? Maybe some one can chime in.
Anyway I wish I could be at this show. It looks awesome....

This was way too bright and shouty on the first day, the gang made some adjustments after the show closed on Friday and was much better today. Still not as smooth and musical as I like, but for the detail freaks, this system would rank very high. I would have liked to have heard some different amps on the system. That might have solved my issues.

OzarkTom

« Reply #108 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:21 am »
Heading out to day2 - 1 last picture (although not very clear) since it was requested.

1 of the Modwright rooms.

For those of you contemplating Modright+Daedalus speakers, those systems were almost making it to the highest marks yesterday. They were fully in the zone today. Very smooth and musical, these systems definitely had the magic. Build quality of the speakers and electronics is supberb. The speakers are absolutely beautiful, 10+.

OzarkTom

« Reply #109 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:35 am »
The GR Research system is still in the top ten, if not the top 5 best sound. Danny had the Super V's sounding great while using the battery powered Dodd equipment, amp and pre-amp and a new battery operated Dac by a certain well known company. That was a protoytpe, so maybe I should not say anything else. They also used the battery operated M2Music with battery and the PI Group batteryBuss.  The only non-battery were the servo amps.

If this system had been set up in any of the larger conference rooms, it would have been even better.  But those rooms are megabucks.

audioengr

« Reply #110 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:41 am »
Yes, JC-1.

Actually, highly modifed JC-1's

System needing break-in, especially the DAC.  Much better on Sat.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

standub

« Reply #111 on: 16 Oct 2011, 05:02 am »
this was one of my two "requests" for feedback.  anyone?   :green:

(i am also interested in hearing about the nova physics memory player 64 in rooms 1104, 1122, and 1125.)

thanks!   :thumb:

doug s.
ps - chris - you da man!   :lol:

Doug,

I hung out with AJ for quite a while and listen to quite the selection.  My quick take is that I used to think HiFi started at around $2000 (Vandersteen 2, Magnepan 1.7, Salk sound towers), well now it starts at $1,300.  Also this was one of the few rooms with good bass response and great sounding bass at that.  For the price you can't do better IMHO.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #112 on: 16 Oct 2011, 05:06 am »
Doug,

I hung out with AJ for quite a while and listen to quite the selection.  My quick take is that I used to think HiFi started at around $2000 (Vandersteen 2, Magnepan 1.7, Salk sound towers), well now it starts at $1,300.  Also this was one of the few rooms with good bass response and great sounding bass at that.  For the price you can't do better IMHO.
thanks for the info; hopefully others will post their thoughts.  i guess hifi no longer starts at $1000 - aj raised the price?

doug s.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #113 on: 16 Oct 2011, 05:09 am »
 :wink:
Room 8030.
wowsa!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #114 on: 16 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm »
You were right Pez, the McAlister amps were not up to the task as they were running in stand-by mode at the time you were in the room. :duh:
Rim (woodsyi) is here now listening. Maybe we can get you back into the room for a second listen now that we have realized our oversight?

I will send you a pair of Kronzilla for next year Bill. :lol:

I heard and read a lot of nice comments from your room.

Good for all of us.

Regards to Albert and Damon.

Cor

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #115 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:02 pm »
Doug,

Eric,

Very cool to meet another AC member whose musical tastes ran the gamut...and drank beer! :thumb:
That local brew wasn't too shabby, added to the list. I'll be much better prepared next time (no Fedex!!!! :duh:), no last second frantic setting up, etc....and we'll frighten the elderly proper late Sat, rounding out the evening with some brews to Amon Amarth :lol:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. finally got over to the TAD room Sun morning, hung out with the "other AJ" :D.
Really wish I hadn't had to pack up already so I could have reciprocated and had him listen to the same tracks on the M1s. Very smooth balanced sound in that room. Those and the GR room were the two I could groove to. Too many others were more along the lines of WTF??? :scratch:. It's seemed that price was inversely proportional to SQ...at least as set up.

standub

« Reply #116 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:44 pm »
Eric,

Very cool to meet another AC member whose musical tastes ran the gamut...and drank beer! :thumb:
That local brew wasn't too shabby, added to the list. I'll be much better prepared next time (no Fedex!!!! :duh:), no last second frantic setting up, etc....and we'll frighten the elderly proper late Sat, rounding out the evening with some brews to Amon Amarth :lol:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. finally got over to the TAD room Sun morning, hung out with the "other AJ" :D.
Really wish I hadn't had to pack up already so I could have reciprocated and had him listen to the same tracks on the M1s. Very smooth balanced sound in that room. Those and the GR room were the two I could groove to. Too many others were more along the lines of WTF??? :scratch:. It's seemed that price was inversely proportional to SQ...at least as set up.

Next year i'll bring more beer and a flash drive :lol:.  On a side note it really seems that this year a lot, and I mean a lot of rooms only had computer music now.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #117 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:59 pm »
No beer?!? Like Mona Lisa without her smile.

Oh I offered, but he politely declined. Which leaves me with a fridge full of beer (other than the exception of Eric, who put down a few with me). What to do (Newcastle in hand :lol:)?

I can only drink so much beer.... :lol:  :duh:

AJ's speakers sounded pretty good....glad I got to hear them....thanks. :thumb:

standub

« Reply #118 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:05 am »
Salk/AVA room

1812 Overture sounded great on these, it was blasting out the hallway.  I have to agree with Tyson though, not a fan of the Accutron mid.  Something just seems to be missing when it plays, the Seas, Scan-Speak and Audio Technology drivers just seem to all be better.  The new look of the AVA gear is dead sexy though.

standub

« Reply #119 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:08 am »
Daedalus/bolder/modwright/first sound.

I liked the sound of these, didn't love it like other, still was better than some of the mega buck systems.  I will say Lou's speaker and sub integration was amazing though, maybe the smoothest integration i've heard.