New MLTL Designs for JX92S

Mr Content

Re: New MLTL Designs for JX92S
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2010, 09:20 pm »
You go Mariusz, good on you. I like the Jordans, very smooth. Interested to hear your final impressions, and see your cabs finished.  :thumb:

Nig :D

Mariusz

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm »
Hi Nig

Yes, they're very well balanced and sound really, really good.
One observation in regards to choice of amplification:
these drivers do benefit from use of more powerful amps.
During my initial listening/evaluation sessions I did experiment with various amps, tube as well as solid state.
- Consonance Cyber 800 monos
- Decware SV83M monos
- April Music all in one integrated/cd player

Decware or any other amp under 10wpc is simply not enough for Jordans.
I would say anything over 40wpc should be able to drive Jordans with authority without cliping while listening at levels below 100db peak.

These drivers were just as happy with tubes as they were with SS.

I'll most likely use Jordans with digital amp kit that is on the way ( 240wpc in 4 Ohms).

Speaker dimentions are 12"D X 6.5"W X 52"H.

In my smallish room, bass is wonderful and I do not think the use of sub is necessary.

.......to be continue

Mariusz

ejfud

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm »
I really love my Jordan's. Yheir bass impact is really amazing. Mine have been EnAbl'd and I think it is a good thing over all. I also have a pair of Jim Griffin's 2-way floor stander design which are also real impressive.

I agree that they can use some power. I run mine with a DIY F5 and love the combo. I'm working on some F5 monoblocks that will be the everyday amps sometime soon.

One of my favorite amps was a pair of McIntosh MC-30's. Wow was all everyone that heard that setup could say. Just out of my personal price range these days.

Keep us posted. Nice build.

Mariusz

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:09 am »
Thanks Gary
I will post some pics tomorrow. (day off)

F5 monos?  Nice ! I wish to posses the skills to build it.  :cry:

P.S
what cabs are you using with your Jordans?
If you do not mind me asking.

Best
Mariusz

Mr Content

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:15 am »
Hi Mariusz, thanks for the update. I know what you mean with driving the jordans, I had some about 5 yrs ago for a short while. I was driving them with a highly modded NAD 240 power amp, with really good results. Nice resolving as you say. The tubes pre/Nad power amp was a very nice combo for the Jordans.
Looking forward to seeing your cabs.

Nig :thumb:

Mr Content

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:21 am »
Hey Gary, I love your Jordan cabs, very nice. Is that your machinery in your pics.............hobby, or work?

Nig :lol:

ejfud

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2010, 01:32 am »
Thanks Gary
I will post some pics tomorrow. (day off)

F5 monos?  Nice ! I wish to posses the skills to build it.  :cry:

P.S
what cabs are you using with your Jordans?
If you do not mind me asking.

Best
Mariusz

I'd like to say I'll be building the mono's, but most of it will be done by a friend. He says I could do it, but it just may be easier for him to build them. I have the chassis and will get everything mounted on them and pass them along. Heck maybe we will sit down and build one each over an evening.

The cabs are a design of my own, but similar to one of the new MLTL cabs that Jordan USA has posted.

That is my basement shop you see in the pictures. As long as build a few things for the house once in a while, I'm good to build speaker stuff as I please. Heck my wife is a music lover herself and see is really liking this 2-way Jordan design.

Mr Content

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:08 am »
Nice Gary, so you like them with the ribbon better. I notice they stay pretty flat to about 10k. Are you just running a cap on the or something more.

Mariusz

« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:09 am »
OMG those look really sweat!
No wonder your wife loves it.

Mine are nothing to look at .... really.
Plain black no veneer etc.
Basicly, all I was trying to do is build somethig quickly and cheap.
If I decide to do it again, well, I would use either a bamboo ply or Baltic birch and then veneer of some sort.

One more question tho.  Did you found Jordans a bit locking? Say above 10K.
And which ribon did you use in your 2way design?

Again, great job.

Mariusz

ejfud

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:20 am »
I don't think I can say the 2-way is better, I'll say different.

The Jordan's with just that driver have the Enabl'd (?) treatment. It seemed to my ears to smooth out the whole range the Jordan produces. A little more laid back I guess. The singles are real magic on some material, but if I'm playing something that is not recorded as well it can be bad. I guess that can be said for most speakers though.

The 2-ways are more forgiving. They are a true 2-way with a crossover. The tweeter is an Arum Cantus ribbon. Jim Griffin did all the hard work with crossover design (way over my head) on these. He started them out as monitors and moved to the floorstanders at a latter time.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Mr Content

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:03 am »
I am thinking for my new HT room, that 5 of the single driver MLTL would be great for 5 channel sound. I am a believer in having all speakers the same. Not very big footprint, good bottom end........sounds like a good choice  :lol:

Thanks for the extra info Gary. Hey Mariusz black gloss can look very good :green:

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:53 am »
Hey Nig

I was thinking about the same thing.
These drivers could be really nice in HT setup.

One of my buddies came over last week to leasten and was very impressed.
So much that he might convert to SD idea. Keep in mind that his budget is well over 5K for speakers alone.
I told him that he can have mine for $4.999. :lol:  But in all honesty he was a bit pissed what he heard at his local dealer and scratched his head in confusion.  :duh:
Rookie.

Mariusz

Mr Content

« Reply #32 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:51 am »
Ah yes the good old "less is more". Some people just can't grasp it  :thumb: I see Jordan USA have a great deal on 5 drivers.......if I read the site properly that is  :D

Nig

chrisby

« Reply #33 on: 2 Feb 2010, 11:35 pm »
I am thinking for my new HT room, that 5 of the single driver MLTL would be great for 5 channel sound. I am a believer in having all speakers the same. Not very big footprint, good bottom end........sounds like a good choice  :lol:

Thanks for the extra info Gary. Hey Mariusz black gloss can look very good :green:

Read what Floyd Toole's latest text on the subject has to say about running 5 full-range (as in band-width ) systems for HT

In a nutshell, not necessarily the best idea - multiple woofers, yes - but not necessarily in the same physical locations as either the LCR front row or surrounds.