Any Tekton Design 4.5 (Fostex FE127E) owners out there?

exerciseguy

I have a pair of Tekton Design 4.5 I won on eBay a while back that I've been getting into lately (after a lengthy run-in), and I'm very impressed. They throw out an extremely coherent sound-field, and just seem to disapear. They are exceptionally strong in regards to jazz/blues vocals & acoustic guitar music.

Any other fans out there?

philippe

Re: Any Tekton Design 4.5 (Fostex FE127E) owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:46 pm »
I have a pair also.

With a little Trends T-amp they really shine on vocals and acoustic music.  :D
At usual volume they are really fantastic but they may become bright at higher volume. ( Fostex Fe127 limits....)
I have tried to use a Rel Sub with them but it is rather difficult to find a sub level that's works right with all CD...
What's your system ? Do you use stands with them ?
For the moment i have put them on the floor and my listening position is about 3 meters.

Philippe

exerciseguy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2008, 04:06 pm »
I'm also using a Trends Audio TA-10.1 Amp, along with a neat little Sony portable CD player with a line out; the Tektons are on 24" stands, and I listen from about 6-8 feet; the whole makes for a crazy-good set-up.

I've also listened to the Tektons with a vintage Kenwood KR6600 receiver (that I picked out of the garbage in pristine condition!) with excellent results.

I'm an apartment dweller, so a "normal" listening level is good enough for me.

ejfud

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:46 am »
They are OK. Nothing fancy about them, just a simple bass reflex cab with the Fostex driver.

Easy to do at home these days with all the nice cabs at Parts Express.

srayle

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2008, 04:57 am »
Phillipe,

You may want to do the Audiomagus modifications on your Trends, may help with the sound.
Your digital source is also critical to how things sound, you may want to check out a
non-oversampling dac.

Also, Monster Cable is pretty remedial, and in my opinion, will not bring out the best in your system.
How do you connect your iBasso Dac to your PC? If digital cable, an excellent cheap ($18!) digital
cable is made by Blue Jeans Cable and was suggested to me by Paul at TRL.

Apparently you can 'roll' opamps in you DiBasso DAC, might want to play with this to fine tune or change the
sound:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new-portable-amp-dac-ibasso-d1-updates-first-page-251541/

Make sure you burn in your Fostex...I also think your receiver may be a limiting factor in how your system sounds,
but it doesn 't sound like there's any other option for you right now.

Fostex 6.5" would sound 'bigger'. Email Eric Alexander, perhaps for any advice...

Best,

Steven

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new-portable-amp-dac-ibasso-d1-updates-first-page-251541/

Make sure

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 05:06 am »
They are OK. Nothing fancy about them, just a simple bass reflex cab with the Fostex driver.

Easy to do at home these days with all the nice cabs at Parts Express.

Indeed. I'm working on putting a Fonken derivative into the 1/2 ft^3 curvy box. If you have to put up with MDF this is way better than most. All the solid panels are small, and the curved sides are 6ply MDF plywood. The only weak point is the MDF baffle.

dave

exerciseguy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm »
I know this is a simple design, but it's just that, the simplicity of that design, that's the beauty of the thing. I won these for about $180 on eBay, and while I might be able to build a comparably priced pair, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Similarly, I'm very content with the Trends amp as is, which I also won on eBay for about $100.

This is a real fun little set-up that I really don't have home for right now, but it isn't going anywhere soon, I like it too much, so it'll be back into the closet until I can find a place of it in the future.

Songforyou

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2008, 06:58 pm »
I use fostex 127e Omega Super 3Rs in my den.  I love them.  I recently purchased a Glow Amp One and the Omegas have never sounded so good.  I have used them with a Scott 222C which was great and then with a Super T which was just okay.  The Glow puts out 5 watts of single ended pentode bliss.  If you ever want to venture into tubes, the Glow is a relatively inexpensive way to start.

No affiliation of course, just a damn happy camper!

Enjoy your speakers!