what to expect from AV123 LS9 crossover upgrade?

mcallister

what to expect from AV123 LS9 crossover upgrade?
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 12:10 pm »
I have three AV123 LS9's for my front soundstage. I really like the speakers but the upper range maybe 10k and up seems very laid back. I'm wanting to either buy the sonicap upgrades from Danny and solder them myself, or wait for the Skiing Ninja's noble upgrades.

Will this bring the upper range more alive? Or will they still have the same neutral sound signature just clearer?

Thanks!

evan1

Re: what to expect from AV123 LS9 crossover upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm »
From your gallery it looks like you have a Candela tube pre. Have you tried other tubes and see if that helps ?

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:20 pm »
A crossover upgrade should offer improvement in general; but honestly I don't think that is your problem.

Having run a large range of electronics; I have found that the highs can vary greatly based on what is in front of the speakers.

If you still run the Candela preamp; I would start here. Tube rolling might be a possible solution; but honestly I have a feeling that what are are hearing is the nature of that preamplifiers sonic signature.

If you no longer are running the Candela; because I think I might remember that you were looking for a Dodd a while back (?), try some tube rolling with various tubes and see what you can ellicit there.

Outside of that; you could be welcoming yourself to the world of electronic merry-go round. I have been through it, and each time have come away with drastically different results. I started with the opposite problem; my highs were horrible to start. WAY too hot.

Several preamps, amplifiers, and sources later; I have come away pretty satisfied; save for my current digital source.

I do remember someone saying that soldering Sonicap platinums on the crossover made a difference on the highs; but I don't quite remember what the difference was.  :duh:

mcallister

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:56 pm »
I'm actually using a Wyred 4 sound STP-SE right now. What are you using at the currently king?

stu

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2010, 10:33 pm »
I have three AV123 LS9's for my front soundstage. I really like the speakers but the upper range maybe 10k and up seems very laid back. I'm wanting to either buy the sonicap upgrades from Danny and solder them myself, or wait for the Skiing Ninja's noble upgrades.

Will this bring the upper range more alive? Or will they still have the same neutral sound signature just clearer?

Thanks!

I just did the upgrade to my LS-9 crossovers, and this was discussed in another thread on this forum.  I got kit from Danny with all the required caps.  I was not having any issues with highs at all.  They were always extended and smooth.  But the upgrade brought everything up another level.  And because an Erse cap in the bass section is replaced with a sonicap, the bass is also improved.  I would recommend everyone do this upgrade if you want the best from the LS's.

Mark

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2010, 12:45 am »
One problem is that you have 3 very large speakers in room that look a bit small for them.  The photo in your gallery shows them quite close to the side walls, without much room to move them in.  I suspect that that the room may be causing much of your imbalance.  If they are still in the same space, post over in the acoustics circle and get the pros there to advise. 

mlbrand

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:02 am »
One problem is that you have 3 very large speakers in room that look a bit small for them.  The photo in your gallery shows them quite close to the side walls, without much room to move them in.  I suspect that that the room may be causing much of your imbalance.  If they are still in the same space, post over in the acoustics circle and get the pros there to advise.

That's a good point, though it appears from the picture that he has quite a bit of acoustical treatment in the usual recommended locations in the room. I actually wonder if there is too much acoustical treatment in the room, or more specifically treatment in certain locations that is detrimental to the mid/high frequencies.

I have LS-6's in a medium sized room, and found that if I placed acoustical treatment on the sidewall 1st. reflection points and especially on the backwall between the speakers, those treatments sucked out too much of the high frequency information for my tastes.

Mcallister, you might try removing your treatments from these locations, and maybe even the the ceiling treatment, and see if this helps. While it's difficult to have too many bass traps, you can have too much treatment/absorption of mids and high frequencies.

mcallister

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2010, 09:29 am »
That's a good point, though it appears from the picture that he has quite a bit of acoustical treatment in the usual recommended locations in the room. I actually wonder if there is too much acoustical treatment in the room, or more specifically treatment in certain locations that is detrimental to the mid/high frequencies.

I have LS-6's in a medium sized room, and found that if I placed acoustical treatment on the sidewall 1st. reflection points and especially on the backwall between the speakers, those treatments sucked out too much of the high frequency information for my tastes.

Mcallister, you might try removing your treatments from these locations, and maybe even the the ceiling treatment, and see if this helps. While it's difficult to have too many bass traps, you can have too much treatment/absorption of mids and high frequencies.

I agree. I will try taking down some panel and see if that helps. Thanks.