I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

m-fine

Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #60 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:49 am »
Believe forthcoming Wyred4Sound DAC will have 24/192 USB as an option.

I would hope so!  If you can get an $80 Musiland dac that can do 24/192 over USB, there is no excuse for a new model mid to high priced DAC to be lagging. 

srb

« Reply #61 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:51 am »
Believe forthcoming Wyred4Sound DAC will have 24/192 USB as an option.

The HiFace, the Wavelength DACs, and most likely, the Wyred4Sound, use proprietary drivers to enable their 24/192 USB capability.  This may or may not be a problem, depending on your platform and choice of media player.

For example, on a PC, the HiFace doesn't support iTunes, as it must be run in system exclusive mode with either an ASIO or WASAPI driver, which iTunes does not support, but foobar and Media Monkey do.

Steve

m-fine

« Reply #62 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:57 am »
24/192 definitely needs a driver at this point, and that can be an issue for non windows users depending on support from the manufacturer, but as far as I know, all 24.192 capable DACS will also work at 16/48 with standard USB 1 drivers. 

mumbles

« Reply #63 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:27 am »
The ease of using a computer source has me very interested in your thread.
Has anyone tried out the HRT Music Streamer+ selling at $199.00 ?
 Art Dudley gave it a positive review but has anyone heard it?

mcullinan

« Reply #64 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:30 am »
Over on TAS there is a guide/ review of new CD Players & DACs. Pretty interesting. There is a new line HRT version 2 and they all have asynchronous USB.
M

persisting1

« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2010, 02:58 am »
Has the snow melted?

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 28 Mar 2010, 12:52 pm »
Yep, and we are going for the next round next Saturday. And we got ahold of an Arye DAC for a reference. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #67 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:14 pm »
May be just a tad too late for this round of the shootout, but Wyred4Sound finally released details on their new DACs and their release dates. One of them has 24/192 async USB! Both are based on the Sabre Chip. Details from their newsletter:

The time has finally come..... It's been a long journey for the DAC, but we now have another product ready to immediately impress. Many thanks to all who have been  extremely patient during the development of the DAC and to all our customers out  there supporting our passion!  I can assure you; these products were worth the wait!

Two versions will be offered.  We will have one for those looking for a DAC to focus mainly on SPDIF sources and to operate as a stand-along unit.  This will be the DAC-1.  We will also offer the DAC-2; it will offer more inputs including the overdue 24 bit / 92kHz Asynchronous USB interface, volume control, remote control and HT bypass.  We are currently processing photos, and specs on the DACs, so please be patient, they're coming very soon.

DAC-1 product information

The DAC-1 will be offered with the following features:

* ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC (32-bit dac)
    * W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics
    * ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
    * Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)
    * Automatic 500kHz oversampling for precise output filtering
    * Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
    * Oversized toroidal transformer
    * Robust 35A bridge rectified power-supply with 88,000uF of filtering.
    * LCD display for input and sample rate viewing
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 16/48 USB input (future upgrade to 24/96 USB)
    * Retail = $999 (starts shipping 4/09/2010)

DAC-2 product information

The DAC-2 will be offered with the following features:

* Robust 35A Schottky bridge rectifier (also used in the STP-SE)
    * 88,000uf of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (also used in the STP-SE)
    * VFD display for input, sample rate, and volume control viewing
    * Remote control
    * Defeatable - 32 bit volume control via remote
    * HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 1x AES/EBU input
    * 1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)
    * 24/192 Asynchronous USB input.
    * Retail = $1499 (estimated shipping 4/23/2010)

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm »
If they can get us one by next Saturday the 10th then we can add it to the mix.

We have the latest PS Audio player/DAC now as well.  :D

arthurs

« Reply #69 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:30 pm »
Where's this going to be Danny?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #70 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:34 pm »
RC, where else? ;) :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:35 pm »

My place. Wanna to come?

arthurs

« Reply #72 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:38 pm »
My place. Wanna to come?

Yeah, I need to get back out your way so count me in!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:08 pm »
I will have a DAC19MKIII from Audio_gd in a few days.  Do you guys need more DACs?

tasar

« Reply #74 on: 1 Apr 2010, 10:56 pm »
May be just a tad too late for this round of the shootout, but Wyred4Sound finally released details on their new DACs and their release dates. One of them has 24/192 async USB! Both are based on the Sabre Chip. Details from their newsletter:

The time has finally come..... It's been a long journey for the DAC, but we now have another product ready to immediately impress. Many thanks to all who have been  extremely patient during the development of the DAC and to all our customers out  there supporting our passion!  I can assure you; these products were worth the wait!

Two versions will be offered.  We will have one for those looking for a DAC to focus mainly on SPDIF sources and to operate as a stand-along unit.  This will be the DAC-1.  We will also offer the DAC-2; it will offer more inputs including the overdue 24 bit / 92kHz Asynchronous USB interface, volume control, remote control and HT bypass.  We are currently processing photos, and specs on the DACs, so please be patient, they're coming very soon.

DAC-1 product information

The DAC-1 will be offered with the following features:

* Robust 35A bridge rectified power-supply with 88,000uF of filtering.
    * LCD display for input and sample rate viewing
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 16/48 USB input (future upgrade to 24/96 USB)
    * Retail = $999 (starts shipping 4/09/2010)

DAC-2 product information

The DAC-2 will be offered with the following features:

* Robust 35A Schottky bridge rectifier (also used in the STP-SE)
    * 88,000uf of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (also used in the STP-SE)
    * VFD display for input, sample rate, and volume control viewing
    * Remote control
    * Defeatable - 32 bit volume control via remote
    * HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 1x AES/EBU input
    * 1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)
    * 24/192 Asynchronous USB input.
    * Retail = $1499 (estimated shipping 4/23/2010)

I know that Rick Cullen, at Cullen Circuits, has worked hard and long especially on the output stage of this product. It could very well be the best Sabre based implementation yet !

As for the PS Audio combo, I've used their DAC extensively. On it's own, ie w.o. the matching transport, this DAC (PWD) is totally unremarkable when using USB and SPDIF inputs. Early adopters have held out for the Bridge I2S, that after a year of extended promises, is yet to delivered. Many have hyped the PWD sound quality especially as used in lieu of a preamp. I found this to be the furthest thing from the truth. Bottom line, the PWD digital volume control, at any attenuation, sounds thin when fronting SS or tube. A good quality pre IMHO sounds better with or without this DAC. Again, I'm qualifying this finding. The above comments pertain only to the PWD performance w.o. I2S inputs. I have listened to the PWT/PWD I2S combo finding it to be average, but less musical than the similarly RAM buffered DAC application found in the recently available Naim DAC. IMHO, the NOS implementation found w. the dB Audio Tranquility, trumps anything I've heard including McIntosh's Sabre implementation. Just one guy's take, and no, I don't own any of the above !

So for you DAC judges there at Danny's, CLOSE YOUR EYES, AND think ANALOG. Then get back with us !

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #75 on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:51 am »
My place. Wanna to come?
I do, but can't... darn.  I'd love to be there to hear with 62 year old ears what is going on with SOTA DACs.

I'm finally, finally, finally getting the kitchen done.  I've been working on a 10'8" long mesquite countertop for the last few days.  I went to the moon and beyond today on some petroleum distillates.  Fried a few billion brain cells.  All in all a good week. 

All of this means that next week is crunch time AND the 7th is Gayle's birthday.  I'll be building BUSSes, working on the kitchen and working on SuperV's.  You guys just think about how much I wish I could be there.  See you at LSAF.

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #76 on: 3 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
Yeah man, plus you have all those diffusers to cut for LSAF. Those things work so well it's just amazing.

You need to start showing those things in the LSAF circle over there and make some special pricing deals on it for folks that want to buy it at the show. I bet you can go back home with a lot less of it if you did.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #77 on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:36 pm »
Yeah man, plus you have all those diffusers to cut for LSAF. Those things work so well it's just amazing.

You need to start showing those things in the LSAF circle over there and make some special pricing deals on it for folks that want to buy it at the show. I bet you can go back home with a lot less of it if you did.
Yeah, Danny, I know.  If I (we) can ever get all of the manufacturing/painting/shipping kinks worked out I'll do so.  The reason that I haven't updated my website info on them is I'm wondering if it will ever come together in more than a very limited availability.  What a PITA.   :roll:

Anyway, have a great time.  I look forward to a great review of the contenders.

Dave

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #78 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:32 pm »

I am certainly interested in taking one back to Abilene.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #79 on: 3 Apr 2010, 09:26 pm »
Oh man, I would love to hear the shootout!  I thought it was this weekend.

We are in Cleveland now and just got back from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Got to see the U2 3D concert video in their THX 3D theater!  WOW!  That was an experience!  It had a very good sound system and it was well setup!   :D