I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

srb

Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:42 pm »
From what I've read about the Tranquility DAC it only has USB in. No coax or toslink. Not for me. I need a DAC that would be compatible with a CD player. Am I missing something???

No, dB Labs has previously said that their first release is the Tranquility USB-only DAC, and that they are working on circuit designs to be able to release a future model with S/PDIF inputs.

But that won't happen until they are satisified that the sound through S/PDIF can equal what they are currently achieving with their USB implementation.

Steve

Gizmo

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:47 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for your input.  I have had the DAC 60 for about 3 years now.  I really enjoy it, however if I could find something that was a significant, noticeable improvement, at what I feel is a reasonable price, I would be willing to upgrade.   

Charles Calkins

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:50 pm »
Thanks Steve. The way I see as it is right now in my system the DAC has to be hooked up to a PC and the audio cables to a preamp. If so I'd need about 100feet of audio cable. Right???

Cheers
                                        Charlie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:07 pm »
Thanks Steve. The way I see as it is right now in my system the DAC has to be hooked up to a PC and the audio cables to a preamp. If so I'd need about 100feet of audio cable. Right???

Cheers
                                        Charlie

Charles,
Most of us sit a portable or small computer-based music server (many are MAC based) near our 2 channel rig so we don't have to have 100's of feet of cabling, as you say. 

srb

« Reply #44 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm »
The way I see as it is right now in my system the DAC has to be hooked up to a PC and the audio cables to a preamp. If so I'd need about 100feet of audio cable. Right???

If your PC is about 100 feet from your audio system, then yes!  And that is too much length of cable for single ended inputs/outputs, and perhaps stretching it with balanced connections.

Those that have their computers far away from their preamps have usually used wireless devices like Squeezebox, Airport Express or Apple TV which require DACs with coaxial or optical inputs.

Those using USB DACs have computers in close proximity to their audio system, usually fanless or very quiet desktops or laptops.

Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm »
From what I've read about the Tranquility DAC it only has USB in. No coax or toslink. Not for me. I need a DAC that would be compatible with a CD player. Am I missing something???

Charles, the simple answer to your question, "Am I missing something???" is YES.

Doing from my Mac Mini to the Tranquility (or any other top level USB DAC) is a significant improvement over trying to read the info from the spinning CD.

I bought my Mac Mini for less money than I sold my CEC transport for and was not only money ahead, but got better performance to boot. I play more music now too. 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm »
I don't about this Danny. MacMini is a bout $800. DAC is $1495. And that's just a start!!! I think I'll wait a bit on this and see what DB audio has to say later on about coax and toslink.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm »
I don't about this Danny. MacMini is a bout $800.

Cheers
                                           Charlie                                       

actually $599 is all I would get.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #48 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:48 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for your input.  I have had the DAC 60 for about 3 years now.  I really enjoy it, however if I could find something that was a significant, noticeable improvement, at what I feel is a reasonable price, I would be willing to upgrade.
Sure, anytime.  Since I came into the system with no prior bias it was very easy to hear the differences.  The Tranquility just rocked over the DAC 60, at least to me.

Dave

Charles Calkins

« Reply #49 on: 22 Jan 2010, 12:00 am »
jtwrace:

Yes $599 on apple but what else do I need?

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jan 2010, 02:41 am »
Hey Charles,

Let's look at it this way. A really good DAC like either of the two listed below are about the same price.

http://www.nekoaudio.com/

http://www.dbaudiolabs.com/

One only has optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs. The other has a USB I2S direct input only.

Either way you go, the computer audio solution has a big leg up on any CD player or transport from a quality perspective and for many reasons.

So regardless of what you decide to do there, you are still buying an external or separate DAC.

The lowest cost solution that I know of, and according to the in the loop guys that I know that have A/B compared various computer based systems (that's right, they do not all sound alike), the Mac Mini was a favorite.

I bought mine used on E-bay with a wireless keyboard and mouse for $425 (200 gig hard drive too!). I can't even get a good mid-fi level transport for that.

Christof

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:20 am »
I followed the same path....went to eBay for a used Mini and DiyAudio for a used dac. I was lucky enough (thanks TomS for the tip) to score a Buffalo Sabre with Empirical USB input, built by Larry Moore. All in for a total of $1200 and I'd put this combo up against just about anything.  If you want to go budget you can't go wrong with  any of the Twisted Pear dacs which show up used over at DiyAudio on a somewhat regular basis...trick is USB conversion.   

shadowlight

« Reply #52 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:08 pm »
Danny,

Any update on the next round or did the snow get in the way :green:?

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:50 pm »
The snow has REALLY gotten in the way. Another hold up has been the finagling taking place to get an Arye DAC here for a reference comparison. It finally looks like we will have one in about a week.

Audioclyde

« Reply #54 on: 24 Feb 2010, 12:59 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question; I posed it on the thread about the EE DAC, but no response.  This is purely for my selfish education--why is it that many of the new DACs are limited to 48kHz when using the USB input?

I have most of my library upsampled to 24/96, which I like, and am interested in a USB input DAC....

I've ordered one of the new Buffalo II DAC chips (although I'm not competent enough to put it together--will likely pay someone to do it), and I'm wondering if I get a USB module for it, will I be limited to 48kHz or this there a work around?

Thanks!

Prosoundman1000

« Reply #55 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:08 am »

DBLabs will be introducing a 24 bit/96khz DAC soon with USB input much like the TRANQUILITY model, only of course, better.  Price I'm told will put it about $600.00 more than the 16 bit model but I'm sure it will be a delight and still thousands less than a WEISS.

Cheers

srb

« Reply #56 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:23 am »
--why is it that many of the new DACs are limited to 48kHz when using the USB input?

I've ordered one of the new Buffalo II DAC chips (although I'm not competent enough to put it together--will likely pay someone to do it), and I'm wondering if I get a USB module for it, will I be limited to 48kHz or this there a work around?

The majority of current USB receiver chips are limited to 16bit/48KHz and are easy to implement.  There are a few chips that can accept 24bit/96KHz, but they are less well known and the implementation is more difficult.  Newer generation USB chips are on the way and will eventually replace the 16/48 chips.

There are a few 24/96 USB to S/PDIF interfaces on the market, among them the bel canto USB Link 24/96 and the Stello U2.

Steve

Audioclyde

« Reply #57 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:32 am »
Thanks Steve.  I'm considering a HiFace, but I guess in my non-technical mind it would seem that an additional conversion from USB output of the computer to S/PDIF wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

roscoeiii

« Reply #58 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:33 am »
Believe forthcoming Wyred4Sound DAC will have 24/192 USB as an option.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:44 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question; I posed it on the thread about the EE DAC, but no response.  This is purely for my selfish education--why is it that many of the new DACs are limited to 48kHz when using the USB input?

I have most of my library upsampled to 24/96, which I like, and am interested in a USB input DAC....

Thanks!
The TPA Audio USB interface is limited to 16bit/48KHz max rate.  It uses one of the standard TI USB DAC's and outputs I2S Bus information to the Buffalo board.

I have a M2Tech HiFace and it sounds great driving an S/PDIF input DAC.