Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #300 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:09 am »
King, check out this post in the x-series kit thread, and read down a few posts to Hal's for probably the best short and sweet explanation of the 3-foot recommendation I've seen posted on AC.  Everyone keeps saying "OB speakers, 3 feet or more from the walls", but for the life of me I could never find a clear explanation as to WHY!  Thanks again, Danny and Hal!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89801.msg1069751#msg1069751

Also, check out the pic in Ed's gallery with the diagram of his room.  Still, I look on it as the gold standard of getting great sound from the Super-V in a small room:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=5930

After reading Danny and Hal's explanation, I would venture to say the 3 feet is from the front of the servo woofers as a "minimum", but I would probably more confidently/easily guess that from the back of the servo sub cabinet would be best, with more space obviously being better if available.

Just guessing from the cobbled together rig I've got going now, you can definitely run the Super-V more near field than the LS6, so if you can get the distance from the wall, they might just be the trick for your room.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #301 on: 6 Apr 2012, 04:08 am »
My Dickware amp didn't arrive this week like we'd hoped. Now that I'm home and have internet, I confirmed that it actually shipped on Tuesday. Gee, what's the hurry?  :evil:

This wasn't worth the aggravation no matter how good - or bad it'll sound. Should have bought the Dodd   :duh:

I really believe that the Super V's are room friendly even in smaller room than ours which is 12' 11" wide by some 15' deep but open in the back. I actually moved the sitting position (couch) forward to open up the stage a bit but that didn't change the presentation at all we felt. We're still breaking in the caps on the speakers and cables and again, may be dealing with an issue with one of the channels in the amp we have on loan.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #302 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:52 am »
Received the Decware amp today after a very long wait. We are still really uncomfortable with our treatment. That's another thread, another forum.

Having a set of V-Caps newly installed I expected it to sound crappy and it did sort of. It's funny though as I felt still it was playing in a different league against the Onix SP3. To be honest, I didn't even want to like the Decware. To start it was very closed in unless one cranked the volume to let her breathe. But nothing that would make me worry about the synergy. Not at all. We played music for 4 hours. Mostly songs or artists that were tough to listen too on any other amp just to see if this horse has spirit. By the end of the evening she was galloping through the V's. 4 hours is not anywhere near enough to settle this amp in. The tubes installed I payed little attention too other than type. Not the better set I have for sure. It supposedly takes 1000 hours to complete the V-Cap burn.  I have the Oppo on repeat and the Allnic muted. Hey, Jr's gotta sleep!  :o Magic will appear but tough times ahead. But I gotta say, through the V's, there might be some great magic happening in our living room.  :thumb:

Stay tuned

Cheeseboy

« Reply #303 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:24 pm »
Burning in those caps will be a roaster coaster ride.  Truley tough times ahead.  There will be many more hours of enjoyment to make up for the time spent breaking in.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #304 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:53 pm »
This pushes my get-to-gether into late April/early May. Good for SoCalWJ with his packed schedule.

Still, it's sounding pretty good as I'm home sick with the flu  :(

SoCalWJS

« Reply #305 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:48 pm »
This pushes my get-to-gether into late April/early May. Good for SoCalWJ with his packed schedule.

Still, it's sounding pretty good as I'm home sick with the flu  :(
Get better fast!
Hope the break in goes quickly for you.
Synergy. I used to kind of snicker when I'd hear that - not anymore. When it all starts coming together, it's the final few things that change it from a great system into a musical system.

Looking forward to hearing more listening impressions as everything gets dialed in. Good luck with room treatments! (Question: How do you know when to stop with regard to room treatments?  :scratch: )

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #306 on: 10 Apr 2012, 08:18 pm »
I'm with ya SoCalWJS, synergy? Just but great equipment and it'll all take care itself - NOT.

But I'm hearing it now. The general (Allnic) is taking care of business by NOT imparting a sonic character and keeping things even handed. The Super V's are sounding lush right now. You can crank up "Filter" some great hard rock and just smile. No pain. Music From the Big Pink never sounded so listenable. Sia gained a bunch of weight  :argue: Hope she don't mind.

I can tell it's along way from opening up. It sounds like you would think a tube amp should sound, warm and engaging. The nuances are a long way off I'm speculating. Yet with some recordings, Chris Rea "Aburge", we never heard so much detail, so many nuances. Weird. It's like the character changes with the album far more than usual.   :scratch: 

The V's are sounding sweet these days as the caps settle in. That's a good thing too.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #307 on: 10 Apr 2012, 08:32 pm »
Sia wants to know how many weight watcher points are being goobled up per listen? 

Hope you feel better.  It is a good day to curl up around the Allinic.  Very theraputic.  A little Vodka with fresh squeezed OJ might help too. 

Mid May works better for me as well.  I'm booked right up until May 7th.  Helen and I had a nice listen to Norah Jones last night in the dark.  The LS6 pick out alot of detail.  She was in the room with us.  I can't help but think what the crossover upgrades might do for these.  Much less tweaking the room.  We are putting a sleeping bag over the big screen when we listen.  The middle gets warm and fuzzy.  Nice for a rainy evening.

kbuzz3

« Reply #308 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:23 pm »
It was $400 bucks. I might have done it myself with my Iwata L400 HVLP gun but now in California, we can only use water based paints and that's a whole new painting game I'm not participating in. Besides, I would have easily $250 in paint supplies alone! Fogetaboutit   :nono:

They look better in person I think. I got half the drivers loaded in the cabinets tonight. The lower servo woofers don't have predrilled holes in the baffle that I noticed. Those are going to be painful to install.

Dont want to hijack but saw this post and wondered if anyone can recommend an non water based brand/line/type of paint for some cabinets.  Long story but someone is doing a one off for me as a favor so long as i supply the paint.  Looking for a darker blue....Feel free to move this post if its not in a proper thread perspective.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #309 on: 28 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm »
Sia wants to know how many weight watcher points are being goobled up per listen? 

Hope you feel better.  It is a good day to curl up around the Allinic.  Very theraputic.  A little Vodka with fresh squeezed OJ might help too. 

Mid May works better for me as well.  I'm booked right up until May 7th.  Helen and I had a nice listen to Norah Jones last night in the dark.  The LS6 pick out alot of detail.  She was in the room with us.  I can't help but think what the crossover upgrades might do for these.  Much less tweaking the room.  We are putting a sleeping bag over the big screen when we listen.  The middle gets warm and fuzzy.  Nice for a rainy evening.

It's not raining anymore and the Super V/Decware combo continue to play when peeps aren't sleeping. And the sound continues to go from spectacular to a bit rough an the very top. I'm at 163 hours. 500 to 1000 hours is a long time to wait for caps breaking in. I don't know who's going to break first.  :scratch:

I did the platinum bypass's on my LS's and would have added changed the resistors to Duelends if I stilll had them. I may change the Super V resistors at some point just for S and G.

I'm running but a still have this annoying rattle in my chest. I think the Vodka and OJ might cure what's ailing me, thanks for the advice!

Chris Rea is playing right now. He's in the room but a little rough.