Am I getting in over my head?

Central Scrutinizer

« on: 22 Sep 2003, 05:29 am »
I've always been a Rotel/NAD kind of a guy. Right now I'm using an NAD C340 and a pair of Axiom M22's. My listening room is small and my speakers are fairly efficient.

The Stratos sounds like one heck of an amp but I guess I'm not sure if I should start messing around with the high current/wattage stuff. Any opinions?

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Re: Am I getting in over my head?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2003, 01:56 pm »
Quote from: Central Scrutinizer
I guess I'm not sure if I should start messing around with the high current/wattage stuff. Any opinions?

can't have enough current and wattage - it's a total myth that you have to buy an amp that's less powerful than your speaker's power rating.

the more power there is, the less effort it takes for the amp to work within a threshold that allows it to reproduce the signal more accurately and without strain.

Peter

sherod

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2003, 09:25 pm »
Peter( Speedcenter) is correct-a-mundo( Fonzie talk) It is always nice to have that extra power reserve, even if you don't even come close to using its full output. The only problem is: Once you get a Stratos, the upgrade bug may set in and then your hooked. Next, you'll need the Tempest, then better cables, then better speakers to show off your new electronics, etc... :wink:

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2003, 10:07 pm »
i have a pair of michaura m55's(made by axiom with same size drivers as the m22) that i hook up to my extreme monos for bathroom duty when i use the hot tub-(i run long wires from the exremes)
great sound :mrgreen:

amandarae

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2003, 12:07 am »
You will like the Stratos for sure!  Be it the Stereo, Stereo Extremes, Mono, Dual mono, or Mono Extremes.  My hunch is that you will finally hear how good your speaker are.  For what it's worth, My monos bested the Threshold Stasis amp (250/ch A/AB Optical bias designed Nelson Pass) in my set up easily.   More spare power you're concerned?  Might be better in the long run if you really think about it.  Besides, if you only use the Class A portion (Stratos are biased A/AB also) then you will experience first hand how good class A really is in terms of musicality.

The problem?  Like what Sherod says, you will be on the upgrade path in no time.  So, not counting whatever amp from the Stratos line you'll get, be ready for some serious audio money my friend.

Talk to Klaus (fine fella btw) and maybe he can answer your concerns.  In any case, the amps have 20 year warranty so your investment is safe.  Assuming that you will sell the amps for whatever reason (I highly doubt it though), have you noticed that sometimes their resale value is about 70-80 percent of the original price?  That should tell you how good an investment Odyssey products are!

BTW, be careful about some posters here.  There is a guy who will take all the chance he can get to downgrade the Stratos amps where in fact his is an Odyssey clone to begin with.  Do your research and there's no way you will miss who I am talking about!

Good luck and hope you can make your decision wisely.....

markC

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2003, 02:55 am »
Have to agree that an amp with more power than your speaks can handle is a good thing. Just have to be carefull that others do not control the volume. I have Sililoquy 5.3's and a dual mono. The DM could easily make the woofs hang out off their voice coils like trick glasses, (o.k I,m exagerating, but you get the idea), but I have a whole new respect for my speaks with the DM driving them. :)

W.C.

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2003, 04:56 am »
I think the high current design of the Stratos offers more control over the drivers, which is important. Is it overkill? I think you will find that the Stratos is so smooth and musical, it will make listening to the music you like an absolute joy. So what the hell, go ahead and treat yourself, you're worth it, right? :D

Central Scrutinizer

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2003, 11:50 am »
Thanks for the input all! The Stratos is definitley high on my wish list.  I'm also considering a B&K, something along the lines of an ST-140.

I've long known about that whole amp wattage/speaker rating thing. Actually my Axioms are rated for 200 watts. Though I doubt I'll ever get drunk enough to test that.  :nono:

My main worry is suddenly creating a huge imballance in my system. Suddenly finding myself with an amp that way out classes everything else.  OH, why didn't I take my wife's advice and just buy a mini system?  :wink:

James Tg

Try Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2003, 03:23 pm »
Central:

Odyssey outperforms Rotel/NAD/B&K.  I auditioned all of them before I purchased Odyssey.  Now, I have Dual Mono, Mono, and 2 Stratos at home to cover my 7 channels HT.  For movie, they might not sound significantly different.  For music, Odyssey is simply better.  

I am using Odyssey to drive Thiel CS2.3 and Paradigm Studio Reference speakers.  Thiel is known for power hungry, and Paradigm is mid efficient.  I do not feel Odyssey is lack of power at all.  Contact Klaus at 317-299-5578.  I met him several times, and I think that he is an honest guy.   You can try Stratos first.  Then you have all the upgrade pathes to extreme high end audio world in the future if you like Odyssey.

James Tang

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2003, 06:50 pm »
Don't forget about the Khatargo and Estatian passive pre.  You could get the pair for the price of a Stratos.

Anton

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:04 am »
I have been using four Stratos Monoblocks (not the Extremes: atl least not yet!!) to drive a pair of Magneplanar 3.3R, then a pair of 3.6R, and now a pair of Silverline Sonata II. The Stratos had an iron grip control over the Maggies' bass panels. (I still have the Maggies and switch them once in a whie).

With the Sonata II they are just magical. The soundstage is so hughe that it is unbeleiveable. They are so fast that I can listen to music late at night with the first and second settings of the Placette passive linestage that I am currently using, and not loose a single music note. I was able to do this with the Maggies as well.

So, don't worry about not getting enough current, the Stratos have it in reserves.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:22 am »
Quote from: Anton
I have been using four Stratos Monoblocks (not the Extremes: atl least not yet!!) to drive a pair of Magneplanar 3.3R, then a pair of 3.6R, and now a pair of Silverline Sonata II. The Stratos had an iron grip control over the Maggies' bass panels. (I still have the Maggies and switch them once in a whie).

let me chime in on the maggie thing - I have 3.5Rs and went from 2-year-old regular monos to the Xtremes (major gutting and replacement of pretty much everything inside). The old monos were the nicest amp I had ever had on my maggies, so I was a bit worried that the expense would not be justified. Well, I was seriously wrong. The Xtremes are so powerful, there are moments I wonder if bi-amping is really necessary. However, that's what I thought before taking the dive to go to the Xtremes. I'll upgrade until I don't hear a difference anymore (or run out of money ;))

what I am trying to say is that the Xtremes are solidly ahead of the regular monos in terms of control over inefficient speakers like the 3.5Rs. The difference was so clearly audible to some of my friends who listen to my system every few weeks that they were shaking their head in disblief, stating that they had never thought the upgrade would do so much for the performance of these speakers. "Effortless control" was the term one of them used after stating that previously listening to my speakers got him "tired" very quickly.

Peter

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:35 am »
Sounds like RG4's or Kraft 250's are in your future.....yes it does keep getting better.  Hard to beleive but it's true.

Eric D

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: Central Scrutinizer
Title: The Stratos sounds like one heck of an amp but I guess I'm not sure if I should start messing around with the high current/wattage stuff. Any opinions?

He wanted to know if he's getting in over his head, and less than two pages of responses later, they're talking about Mono Extremes and upgrading from there...   :lol:

CS, I think there's a good point that's still relavent for you (and me too!) in this discussion

Quote from: speedcenter
...I'll upgrade until until I don't hear a difference anymore (or run out of money ):wink: ...

Yes, you probably would end up upgrading everything else around a Stratos - I know it sent me off on a round.  But I also think I'm beginning to get to the point of "not hearing a difference" so I'm quite happy with what is happening.

[edit]  Speedcenter's description of "Effortless control" is also what I felt about the change I made from internal 110W/channel amps in my AVR to the Stratos (120k) for my main speakers.  The bass response was far better, and the notes much more natural.  So whilst I can sit and admire the Mono Extreme/RG4 crowd - rest assured it also happens to us mere mortals.  :D

Good luck!

Central Scrutinizer

« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2003, 12:06 pm »
Thanks Eric. I was thinking the same thing.  :lol:

I just found out about the new Khartago. Sounds right up my alley.  :mrgreen: