Speakers for Stratos..

jasonc

Speakers for Stratos..
« on: 12 Apr 2003, 07:01 pm »
What speakers are you using with your Stratos?  Does anyone have VMPS 626Rs working well with the Stratos?  Also, are there any Harbeth owners?

Ferdi

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2003, 08:59 pm »
Well,

I have my Stratos (cap upgrade) working with Dynaudio Audience 82 to my satisfaction.

There are quite a few here that use the Stratos + 626. I think Mgalusha has that combo and I am pretty sure Pez also has an opinion on that setup.

Hope that helps. Having trouble setting up your 626 or looking to add something to your system?

jasonc

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2003, 09:27 pm »
Looking to add.  Currently have the nOrh Prism 6.9s which work very well with the Stratos but am in the market for a pair of monitors.

Ferdi

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2003, 09:35 pm »
Hi Jason, there are some great options out there but I am sure you're looking at all of them. I personally am most intrigued by Dave Ellis 1801 but due to living in Europe will probably never get a pair.

Interested to hear what you end up with though.

Good luck!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2003, 03:08 am »
If you have a tubed preamp, the Stratos works fine with the 626R's.  But I think the 6.9's are probably a better match to the Stratos.  Ribbons like tubes. . .

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:50 pm »
I have Magnepan 3.5Rs, currently powered by Statos Monos. Works quite nicely. I'll be adding a tube pre-amp in the coming weeks Bottlehead Foreplay with a lot of upgrades). Odyssey sounds pretty good with the ribbon tweeter on the 3.5Rs, and it has the grunt to control the low range. Tube amps and Magnepan speakers don't work too well if you like to turn up the volume.

nature boy

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2003, 10:44 pm »
Sound great with Vandersteen 2CE signatures.

NB

ton1313

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2003, 12:10 am »
Sounds awsome with my Zu Druid 2's!!!!

Marbles

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2003, 12:14 am »
The Odyssey Lorelies sound very good with it..........

jasonc

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2003, 12:22 am »
Hi NB,

What type of room do the Vandersteens work best in?  I've read they need sufficient room to breath.  There's a pretty good chance I'll be moving to a smaller room in the future.

Thanks.

rosconey

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2003, 10:23 am »
:o work well with my rick craig designed 3.5 ways(4ohm 89db)

nature boy

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2003, 11:32 am »
To JasonC,

I have my Vandy 2CE's in a dedicated listening room with following dimensions - 13.5' W x 15.5'L x 7'H.  A relatively small listening room.  Anything much smaller and the 1C's might be your best bet.

They are positioned ~ 2' from rear wall and ~3' from side walls.  Sound great and image well.  Main thing to consider is not to put TV or equipment rack in between the speakers, I have my Odyssey amp between them on a low profile amp rack and source equipment off to the side of the room running a fairly long IC from preamp to amp.

NB

Chazz

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2003, 11:32 am »
Hi

I'm using B&WN805s and they work great.   :lol:

Chazz

BlackCat

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2003, 02:51 pm »
I second the synergy with B&W...sounds great.

jasonc

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2003, 11:38 pm »
The Vandy's may not be my speaker being sensitive to inside neighbors.  The entertainment center will be gone in the future but I think there's a good chance l always have a TV between the speakers.

I may just keep my 6.9s and work on other parts of my system such as an new preamp and ideally one with HT pass through. Right now using an Arcam AVR-100 for this duty.

klaus@odyssey

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2003, 12:36 am »
Jason,

Call me.  317 299 5578.

Late

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2003, 07:57 pm »
Hello Everyone... my first posting!

Just came accross this site. For the record, my experience with the Stratos in its basic form with only the caps upgrade goes back to May 2000 (serial #00-5-33)!  :D

The Stratos likes many preamps and speakers...I have driven the amp through a  CJ PV10A, my own design and built single triode (cathode follower circuit) preamp and currently a Sim Audio Celeste P5003.

Speakers used are B&W 803 series II, CDM1SE, and currently is driving a pair of Silverline Audio (Alan Yun) SR-15 mini monitors. I switch between these speakers on and off.

Quality built and sonics are first rate. Probably the best bargain in audiophile quality out there in a very long time.

AlexG  :P

zoltanmocsary

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2003, 05:46 am »
I was using custom made minimonitors for a few months, which were very articulate, quick and transparent and sounded fully satisfactory on vocals and small ensembles but did not have the deep bass extension and the impact which becomes important when listening to large bands and orchestras.     Then I accidentally chanced upon the Audyssey APS 5+2 speakers which were manufactured by Energy in Canada (it's a shame that they were discontinued).
 It was a closout deal for $1250 (original retail $2500)  and I bought them blindly without auditioning. Boy, they literally knocked my socks off!  They are 3 way bipolar floorstanders, with built in subs (they look very similar to the Definitive Technology Bipolar 7 and are virtually identical to the Mirage OM6 which are their sister speakers).
 They are a perfect match for the Stratos and it is a mere coincidence that they are namesakes. To realize their full potential, you have to use the monoblocks or do what I'm doing--- I'm a maverick and use 2 Stereo Stratos in electronically bridged mode which no-one else does in the Odysssey camp, even Klaus did not endorse this.
 These speakers have incredibly powerful and tight bass response down to 20 HZ without sacrificing the  precise imaging and transparency that my minimonitors are famous for.  In addition, they have a much taller and deeper soundstage than my small speakers.
 They have the slam of an express train and can rock the house.  
  I have heard various speakers, dynamic and electrostatic,  costing  up to 10-12 K, including the Revel Studios, B&W 801, Final, Genesis, Acoustat, Magnepan etc. which all had their fine points and did certain things well but none of these got everything right as the Energies do.
 I have not heard the Veritas 2.8 which is the other flagship made by Energy but cannot imagine that these are better than the APS 5+2.
 Audio  Advisor is out of them (I and my friends picked up the last 3 pairs) but they are still available at some places on the net---they are the audio bargain of the century!!!!!!

Cheers,

Zoltan

Pirate

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2003, 11:07 pm »
Jason

Did you talk to Klaus? What did he say? :mrgreen:

amandarae

Speakers for Stratos..
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2003, 03:53 am »
Makes my Martin Logan Ascents sing without compare IMHO!