oppo users

erniek

oppo users
« on: 14 Jan 2016, 06:32 pm »
Any Odyssey owners have an Oppo 103 in their system and if so is it used with a DAC or alone?

Phil A

Re: oppo users
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2016, 07:01 pm »
I have a modded BDP-83 I use in a system with a Candela preamp along with a DAC (and a music server).  I have a couple of 103Ds and a 93 in other systems.  In one system I have a 103D with a hard drive attached with music files (including DSD and multi-channel DSD), but the primary purpose of that system is HT so it only gets used a few times a year for music.  I have a 103D in my main system but it is for video only.  The 93 is in the bedroom system and the bedroom feeds the outdoor speakers and I have a hard drive attached.  The above noted Oppo players are OK for music.  I wouldn't term them terrible but I also would not put them on the same level as a good DAC.

erniek

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2016, 08:54 pm »
My objective is to use my 103 outputting to a dac. Do you notice an improvement when doing this?

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2016, 09:40 pm »
I'm not an Odyssey owner but I do own an Oppo 103 that started using as a cd transport and then used it for a while as a usb to spdif converter or bridge between my computer and my dac.  If you're going to use it as a cd transport and send the digital signal to an outboard dac you can improve the sound depending of course on the quality of the dac and the digital cable.  I eventually replaced the Oppo 103 with a Bryston BUC-1 usb to spdif converter between my dac and computer.  My Oppo is now happily residing in the den processing the video from my cable box before it gets to my flat panel and playing video disks.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2016, 09:53 pm »
My objective is to use my 103 outputting to a dac. Do you notice an improvement when doing this?

I use file playback.  I have transports there (like the Oppo 103D in the main system) to watch a movie and if someone at an audio get together at my place wants to play a disc I have it going to my DAC in the main system which is a night and day difference (I have a Meitner MA-1).

In the one back-up system where I have a modded BDP-83, I don't even have it hooked up via the analog outs.  It goes into an HDMI audio de-embedder into my DAC (for SACDs it is converted in the Oppo to 24/88.2), which is a Teac UD501.  Many moons ago I had the 83 with a Bryston BDA-1 and preferred the sound going into the de-embedder for SACDs vs. the analog outs.

OSIB16

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2016, 02:13 pm »
i use an Oppo 103D with my FRANKENSTRATOS and Black Gated TACT 2.2X Preamp.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:35 pm »
Hello, erniek.

I'm not an Odyssey owner either (yet), but I do have an Oppo 103. I use it in my HT system and in my 2-channel system. When it is in my 2-channel system, I do connect it to my DAC - and yes, it sounds better (and I don't have a great DAC).

Michael

erniek

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:07 pm »
I will mostly be streaming music from an attached USB hard drive or thumb drive. Anyone using it this way? I bought the 103 because my old AMC CD9 only plays standard cds and I have given up on building the music server I thought I could build effectively. Also the age of the DAC in my AMC is probably nowhere as good as even the OPPO's. The OPPO is also intended to be used to watch concert videos run through my main system.

henrylr

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:32 pm »
I use a BDP-95 for HT and as my cd/sacd music source. It is connected to a 2007 Audible Illusions M3A which is connected to an Aragon 8008bb. The BDP replaced my meridian 506.2 and I love the sound.

OSIB16

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:34 pm »
I just wanted to add that I'm using a "massively modifed" OPPO BDP103D (Fidelity Audio). It's had everything done to it. However it's not quite as 'TRANSPARENT SOUNDING' as my MAC MINI connected to my John Kenny CIUNAS USB to SPDIF CONVERTER. The MAC/CIUNAS combo produces HOLOGRAPHIC sounds that are noticeably "more present/in the room" than the OPPO 103D.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2016, 03:21 pm »
I will mostly be streaming music from an attached USB hard drive or thumb drive. Anyone using it this way? I bought the 103 because my old AMC CD9 only plays standard cds and I have given up on building the music server I thought I could build effectively. Also the age of the DAC in my AMC is probably nowhere as good as even the OPPO's. The OPPO is also intended to be used to watch concert videos run through my main system.

On the Oppo 103D I have in a back-up system, I have an attached hard drive with files of CD quality or higher, including 2-channel DSD and multi-channel DSD.

erniek

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2016, 05:39 pm »
I can't tell the difference between the sound I get from my 103 with and without Musical Fidelity Vdac. Does not seem to matter between FLAC AIFF or WAV either.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2016, 08:05 pm »
I can't tell the difference between the sound I get from my 103 with and without Musical Fidelity Vdac. Does not seem to matter between FLAC AIFF or WAV either.
Are you talking only Redbook CD quality or higher resolution files?  I have two 103Ds.  I only use the one in the main system for video as it is not nearly to the level of my Meitner DAC.  I have a Teac (501) DAC in one secondary system but the other 103D is in a different system but I'd have to say that the DACs in the 103D (which is the same for audio as the 103) are not as good.  Isn't the Musical Fidelity under $200?  I don't think the Oppo is terrible (I also have a BDP-93 in the bedroom system with a hard drive attached too) but it leaves something to be desired to me for audio.  The 103D where I have the hard drive attached is primarily used for video and a few times a year (e.g. Space Coast Audio Society meetings) it may get used a drop for audio.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2016, 10:12 pm »
Oh my, I think you guys might can be of help to me.  I'm interested in an OPPO 103 or 105 w/o the Darbee whatever.  I would be using this as my primary CD player and have read that what separates these musically from the competition is the use of its Sabre chip.  So, I don't care about the video quality, just the audio quality.  Would you happen to know if this chip is in either of these models?  Or, is it in one but not the other?  I think one or both of these cost $499.00.  Please advise if you can. 

PS-  I'm coming from an analog front end as my primary source with a Koetsu Black MC phono cart and the 1st generation Bel Canto DAC One that I have fed by a cheap Sony DVD player is strident and artificial sounding.

Thanks, all.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2016, 12:58 am »
The 103 doesn't use the Sabre chip (cirrus logic) - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-audio-dac-does-the-bdp-103-use

The plain old 105 is no longer made (and when it was it was more than double the cost of the 103 as it includes DAC inputs one connects from other sources).

If your goal is CD playback only from a disc spinner, you might be better off buying a DAC and a cheaper Blu-Ray player.

OSIB16

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm »
Any Oppo Blu-Ray player will give you a 'VERY AVERAGE SOUND' when playing CD's. You can get far superior sound quality if you play your CD in a LAPTOP PC connected via USB CABLE to any decent DAC.

Oh my, I think you guys might can be of help to me.  I'm interested in an OPPO 103 or 105 w/o the Darbee whatever.  I would be using this as my primary CD player and have read that what separates these musically from the competition is the use of its Sabre chip.  So, I don't care about the video quality, just the audio quality.  Would you happen to know if this chip is in either of these models?  Or, is it in one but not the other?  I think one or both of these cost $499.00.  Please advise if you can. 

PS-  I'm coming from an analog front end as my primary source with a Koetsu Black MC phono cart and the 1st generation Bel Canto DAC One that I have fed by a cheap Sony DVD player is strident and artificial sounding.

Thanks, all.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm »
Any Oppo Blu-Ray player will give you a 'VERY AVERAGE SOUND' when playing CD's. You can get far superior sound quality if you play your CD in a LAPTOP PC connected via USB CABLE to any decent DAC.
Sorry, but not so.  The Oppo sabre dac is actually pretty darned good.  The 95 offers a very high end sound- have not heard the 103 or 105.

jonbee

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2016, 04:46 pm »
I use a 93 and a 103D in 2 systems, both with external DACS (NAD M51 and Yulong DA8). In both cases these fine DACS are notably better than the built in DACs. Saving money on a 103 compared to a 105 and buying a good used DAC is a great way to go. In my case I use the oppos for DVDs, blu-rays and networked content. It is a very flexible front end, and oppo really supports their products well.

OSIB16

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2016, 05:18 pm »
I've owned the following highly MODIFIED models...

E.V.S. OPPO BDP-83

AUDIOCOM OPPO BDP-93

FIDELITY AUDIO OPPO BDP-103D (presently in my system)

OK Realistically, the sound quality from these BLU-RAY disc players is pretty good (ABOUT 7.5 out of 10). However my "APPLE MAC MINI" connected to my "JOHN KENNY CIUNAS SPDIF Converter" absolutely KILLS/ANNIHILATES any of the Oppo Disc Players when it comes to TRANSPARENCY.  With the MAC/JK CONVERTER combo I can clearly hear a significant improvement - A firm 9 OUT 10.
       Its crazy how the JK SPDIF CONVERTER is only $500 approx and it blows away the $1000 OPPO's. If you are still skeptical you are welcome to come over with your BDP-95 to compare. I guarantee you will be shocked when you hear the 'step up' in transparency through the JK Converter.

Sorry, but not so.  The Oppo sabre dac is actually pretty darned good.  The 95 offers a very high end sound- have not heard the 103 or 105.

OSIB16

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm »
Here's an old photo of my MAXED OUT Audiocom Oppo BDP-93. Had all the finest parts money can buy installed in it...   UPOCC COPPER WIRE, JENSEN CAPS, ELNA SILMIC IIs, Audiocom Superclock 4, etc etc.