Super 7 Flat Packs.....

mikeeastman

Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #20 on: 6 Aug 2018, 09:15 pm »
The speaker is 57" and the tweeter is 44" to center of , these are from bottom of the speaker with out spikes.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2018, 11:19 pm »
$? Any ideas as to what we are going to be paying for these guys? Also curious on the height on the speaker and the height of the tweeter level.

8 Neo 10's, two GR Neo 3's, four 12" servo subs, two servo amps, crossovers, wire, tube connectors, etc should be in the $3,800 to $3850 range depending on exactly what the crossover parts are this time.

And that is handing you everything you need for what the parts cost.

Jay is working on the price of the flat pack. Lots of work goes into it but it should be easy to assemble when you get them from Jay.

Considering what they retailed for originally this DIY version is going to be a steal.

The speaker is 57" and the tweeter is 44" to center of , these are from bottom of the speaker with out spikes.

Jay has reduced the space a little between the upper woofer top and the first Neo 10 in an effort to get the tweeter height down a little. It could come in at more like 42" or so.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 7 Aug 2018, 05:54 pm »
The  speaker is coming in at 56 tall with the tweeter / waveguide center at  42.25"....  these measurements include the  1.25"  base.

I can't really determine final pricing at this point, still too many variables (more programming, custom boxes/packing, yeilds per  sheet  etc  etc

greg,  the baffle is  13"  wide, the overall wideth  (no base) is 15.5" which I believe is  very similar to the  original design.
Tweeter  height of the  tops section only is 14" (again, no base)

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:30 pm »
I'm going to need some kind of base to attach to my OB subs.  I'm thinking about refinishing them too but I'm in no hurry.  I hope whatever you're planning can work for me and that I don't need new sub cabinets.

AV123 Strata Mini and GR / Rythmik Open Baffle Subwoofers

Oh, and if anyone in the Chicago area wants a pair of used AV123 Strata Mini, I'll let them go for $600/pr.   :eyebrows:

No grills, a ding or 2 in the finish, upgraded crossovers.  Still sound fantastic! :green:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 8 Aug 2018, 04:08 pm »
If the Isoacoustic stands won’t put the tweeter of the S7 monitor too high you can set the monitor on top of the subs like I do with the NX-Otica monitors.

If the tweeter would be too high on your subs you could experiment with a tapered base for the monitors that aims the drivers down or you could stand mount the monitors where your minis are now

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2018, 04:49 pm »
If the Isoacoustic stands won’t put the tweeter of the S7 monitor too high you can set the monitor on top of the subs like I do with the NX-Otica monitors.

If the tweeter would be too high on your subs you could experiment with a tapered base for the monitors that aims the drivers down or you could stand mount the monitors where your minis are now

If I have to, I'll build a riser for my chair.   :lol: 

The Isoacoustic stands do raise them up about 5".  They do a great job of disconnecting the bass from the floor.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2018, 09:22 pm by corndog71 »

orientalexpress

« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug 2018, 01:17 pm »
God,i hate this threat.I got to find more funding.Just what i wanted another pair speakers. :duh:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:38 pm »
God, I hate this thread. I’ve got to find more funding. Just what i wanted - another pair speakers. :duh:

Ditto here. The temptation is palpable. My wife might decapitate me if I bought another pair of floor standing speakers. I know. I’ll tell her it was only after Jay’s encouragement that I broke down and bought them. That way she can blast Jay the next time we visit him. Yeah. That’ll work.  :icon_twisted:

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 10 Aug 2018, 05:33 pm »
Ditto here. The temptation is palpable. My wife might decapitate me if I bought another pair of floor standing speakers. I know. I’ll tell her it was only after Jay’s encouragement that I broke down and bought them. That way she can blast Jay the next time we visit him. Yeah. That’ll work.  :icon_twisted:

She'll be thanking me  Michael !!  All wrapped into  one package, no separate subs and   even a  set of monitors is gonna  take up   flor space on a  set of  stands.

Have her look here, she'll find a  stunning  Kolor that'll  make her   happy  :thumb:
https://houseofkolor.com/kolors/?ref=topnav

jay

skalos

« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2018, 05:43 pm »
orientalexpress,

It's interesting that you typed "threat".  Was that intended to be "thread"? Very telling. :o

JDUBS

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:14 pm »
What's a good way to couple the top section to the h-frame, if we already have h-frames? 

Something from Herbie's Audio Lab?

Thanks
Jim

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:50 pm »
 :D this speaker will save you $$ in the long run as a big ass amp is not needed. Small amp and clean,,,,
         Pointing both bass drivers forward sounds the same as one each way ?   :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:53 pm »
What's a good way to couple the top section to the h-frame, if we already have h-frames? 

Something from Herbie's Audio Lab?

Thanks
Jim

I use Herbie’s fat dots with mine

2bigears

« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2018, 03:18 am »
 :D Jay ,  any word when the design will be a go-go ?   :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 11 Aug 2018, 04:26 am »
:D Jay ,  any word when the design will be a go-go ?   :D

Quite  a bit  on the go right  now including the   final (hopefully)   upper baffle   .  One will be  on it's  way to danny for  final testing soon.
  Pretty sure  we're all good  with it but   still want to be sure.  At that  point, we'll see how the interest is...

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2018, 10:44 pm »
Grills  give them a  nice, finished look

jay

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2018, 02:13 am »
Jay,

I thought I remembered reading earlier in one of these threads that this design lowers the height compared to the original S7 a few inches?  If so, I remember the original S7 had the crossover mounted on top of the woofer box, so do you intend to have a similar crossover enclosure on this kit or did you find somewhere else to hide the crossover?  If the height was lowered enough (in particular if someone goes all in on some really big caps and coils in their crossover), I might be concerned that the lowermost Neo10 would get blocked off more than desirable with the crossover box?

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2018, 02:31 am »
Hey Jonathon,

Yes,  big , botique caps  could be  an  "issue".  If going that  route,  I'd recommend going with   external  c/o's.
Have already been giving  this some thought ..... a  double  layer  amp box that  could   server  double duty as a  c/o  encolosure  as  well might work well...... :scratch:

jay

nrenter

« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:10 am »
I think the sketch-ups look awesome. They have lines that don’t look DIY. This is a speaker you could LOOK At for a long time.

The only shame is that, unless you have professional finishing skills, your world-class sounding speaker may still look DIY. I’ve seen Danny’s personal S7’s and they are sexy. That paint was amazing, and probably not cheap. Is it possible to bring that level of fit and finish to Flatpacks? Could solid surface material be CNC’ed, shipped, and assembled not unlike IKEA furniture? Just throwing it out there.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2018, 06:15 pm »
I think the sketch-ups look awesome. They have lines that don’t look DIY. This is a speaker you could LOOK At for a long time.

The only shame is that, unless you have professional finishing skills, your world-class sounding speaker may still look DIY. I’ve seen Danny’s personal S7’s and they are sexy. That paint was amazing, and probably not cheap. Is it possible to bring that level of fit and finish to Flatpacks? Could solid surface material be CNC’ed, shipped, and assembled not unlike IKEA furniture? Just throwing it out there.

To get a seamless finish requires a lot of work, even with flatpacks as good as Jay's, especially if you want automotive paint jobs and topcoats.

If you want that level of finish, you need to find a local auto body shop that will work with MDF cabinets. The shops around here wanted me to bring them the glued up cabinets but they didn't want me to do much in the way of prep work. They wanted to do that themselves.

That type of high gloss automotive paint job and finish is not cheap. I was quoted $1,200 - $1,500 for a pair of Wedgies and servo sub cabinets. $1,200 for a two part and $1,500 for a three part (candy or pearl) finish.

While that sounds like a lot, it's really not compared to what you are putting into the speaker and what you will end up with.

Mike