AMG STA used as monoblocks balanced/unbalanced switch

redcoat28

I have a pair of AMG STA’s used as monoblocks. I use both the RCA and XLR inputs of each amp.  When I switch between the xlr input and rca input I have been powering each amplifier off before flipping the switch to xlr or rca.  Does anyone know if this can be done with each of the amps powered on or is the best practice to turn each of them off first before flipping the switch.

John Casler

Re: AMG STA used as monoblocks balanced/unbalanced switch
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2023, 09:02 pm »
Hi,

I might be wondering why you have the same amp connected simultaneously with both XLR and RCA?  Or did I not understand the description?

redcoat28

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2023, 09:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply John. To clarify I have unbalanced cables running from the front right and left rca preouts of my home theater receiver to each of the AMG’s powering my front two speakers for home theater purposes.  I also have a separate “music only” system that consists of a streamer connected to a DAC. I run xlr cables out of the left and right channels of the DAC and into the XLR inputs of the AMG’s. When I want to listen to music I flip the switch on the back of my AMG’s to the balanced inputs. When I want to watch a movie I flip the switch on the back of my AMG’s to use the rca inputs. Hope this is clearer. Thanks for the response.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2023, 09:45 pm »
Does your DAC have an analog input (like all NuPRIME DACs) or is it digital only?

If it has analog ins, just run the L&R RCA outs out of the AVR, into the RCA analog inputs of the DAC, and you don't need the double connection at the amp, which I am not sure is a good idea (but someone who is more tech savvy might answer that)

Then all you do is select the input you wish to use on the DAC.  Of course you will need to preset the gain on the DAC, or in the case of the NuPRIME DACs, the inputs have memory, so it will remember what gain setting was used last.

Again, I am not tech savvy enough to know what might be occurring during the switching process you are seeking, but to error on the safe side, I would turn the amp off before switching back and forth.  Hopefully it is perfectly harmless.  :)

redcoat28

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2023, 09:57 pm »
Unfortunately only digital inputs John. Thanks for the taking the time to reply.

bufferoverrun

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2024, 08:48 pm »
Side issue:
I just got a Nuprime AMG STA and I have a question to those that have one.  This is regarding the balanced/unbalanced switch. I can hear audio coming in on the balanced inputs even though unbalanced is selected. And I can hear audio coming in on the unbalanced inputs even though balanced is selected.
Does the switch function this way for others or is mine defective?

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2024, 02:10 am »
Side issue:
I just got a Nuprime AMG STA and I have a question to those that have one.  This is regarding the balanced/unbalanced switch. I can hear audio coming in on the balanced inputs even though unbalanced is selected. And I can hear audio coming in on the unbalanced inputs even though balanced is selected.

Welcome aboard!

This might be a question for Jason to answer what should be expected.  You might also try creating a help ticket @ https://b2b.nuprimeaudio.com/helpdesk/?wpsc-section=ticket-list. You’ll have to setup an account and maybe register your amp but it might be a quicker way to an answer.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2024, 04:07 am »
Side issue:

I am not Tech Support, but it is my understanding that the RCA/XLR switch is not to turn on/turn off one or the other, but to adjust the grounding.

Are you saying that you have both (RCA and XLR) inputs receiving source/preamp signals at the same time.

Is so, I am not sure that is a practice to follow, but maybe Jason or someone more technically savvy can comment.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2024, 05:42 pm »
I have updated all the product pages of Nuprime amps that have balanced/unbalanced switch:

IMPORTANT: Do not connect both RCA and XLR inputs and use the toggle switch to select between the two inputs. The toggle switch is only for configuring the RCA or XLR inputs.