BR-20 volume control in MM

alanford69

BR-20 volume control in MM
« on: 18 Mar 2023, 11:59 pm »
Hello I noticed I can control the volume from MM media player: does this affect the sound quality? I mean does it operate at digital level or is it exactly as using the remote control or rotating the knob? Thanks for any clarification.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BR-20 volume control in MM
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2023, 10:40 am »
Hi Alan

Its a great feature in MM and does not affect the audio signal path at all.

james

alanford69

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2023, 03:48 pm »
Thanks, I thought it could be some kind of digital attenuator.

Twiga

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2023, 03:59 pm »
@James: I thought that you or someone else from Bryston had mentioned earlier that using the digital volume control in MM would reduce the resolution of the signal? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2023, 05:35 pm »
It just controls the analog volume control in the BR20 (only) remotely through software-  it does not add any circuitry.

james
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2023, 07:25 pm by James Tanner »

Twiga

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2023, 02:40 pm »
Ah! Perhaps I was thinking of the software volume control in MM on a BDP-3. :duh:

jcn3

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2023, 05:26 pm »
@James: I thought that you or someone else from Bryston had mentioned earlier that using the digital volume control in MM would reduce the resolution of the signal? :scratch:

maybe you were thinking about roon -- it has been said that it's best to control the volume not from within roon but using the br-20 remote.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:29 pm »
maybe you were thinking about roon -- it has been said that it's best to control the volume not from within roon but using the br-20 remote.

If your using Roon Ready then Roon isn't adjusting the volume via software but rather by sending commands to tell the BR20 to adjust the volume via preamp.  Similar for the BDA-3.14, but the 3.14 controls volume using a dsp built into the DAC chips.

Chris

jcn3

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2023, 05:34 pm »
If your using Roon Ready then Roon isn't adjusting the volume via software but rather by sending commands to tell the BR20 to adjust the volume via preamp.  Similar for the BDA-3.14, but the 3.14 controls volume using a dsp built into the DAC chips.

Chris

Ok -- great to know I was wrong and that Roon is doing the same thing as the remote control!  I could have sworn that I read a post from James saying it was best to set Roon to a fixed output and adjust the volume on the BR-20 via the remote. 

GregC

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2023, 08:52 pm »
So you can stream via Manic Moose, and when the volume is adjusted the analog volume is adjusted on the BR-20 (as opposed to digital volume adjustment that strips bits)?   The volume is also analog for Roon?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2023, 11:48 pm »
Ok -- great to know I was wrong and that Roon is doing the same thing as the remote control!  I could have sworn that I read a post from James saying it was best to set Roon to a fixed output and adjust the volume on the BR-20 via the remote.

I'm assuming your connecting roon to the BR20 using the BR20's built in streamer (by placing the streamer in Room Ready mode). 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2023, 11:50 pm »
So you can stream via Manic Moose, and when the volume is adjusted the analog volume is adjusted on the BR-20 (as opposed to digital volume adjustment that strips bits)?   The volume is also analog for Roon?

Yes as long as you use the BR20's built in to streamer in roon ready mode.  Adjusting the volume in roon should directly control the volume on the BR20, meaning you would see the volume value update on the BR20's display and the volume value update around the rotary encoder.

GregC

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2023, 02:03 am »
Yes as long as you use the BR20's built in to streamer in roon ready mode.  Adjusting the volume in roon should directly control the volume on the BR20, meaning you would see the volume value update on the BR20's display and the volume value update around the rotary encoder.
I do not use Roon, so I was wondering about DLNA and controlling the volume through the Bryston streaming software.  When I use other client software with DLNA, the volume works through the digital volume control of the DAC chip.