RCA / SE Connections

Escott1377

RCA / SE Connections
« on: 27 Jun 2020, 02:07 pm »
I like to do a little DIY work, primarily with cables since it is not an expensive investment.  I’m interested in trying some tinned copper cable and have decided to use Belden 8422 - 8422 - Microphone Cable, 2 C #22 Str TC, 85% TC Braid, Cotton Braid, PVC Jkt.

I am using standard RCA plugs where I have always used bullet plugs in the past.

With the Belden cable, there are 2 wires plus the shield.

1 end will be 1 connector to the pin, then twisted pair on the second conductor with shield wire soldered to the bracket.

What should I do on the other side of the cable?  I have seen you tube clips with the same wiring on the other side.

I have read where people advise them to be directional, so if the same conductor goes to the pin, do I do anything with the 2nd conductor twisted with shield?

For sub 3 ft runs and cheap Belden cables, does it really matter?

Thanks in advance for your help -

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: RCA / SE Connections
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2020, 05:10 pm »
That Belden cables is for XLR balanced microphone & interconnect cables. For RCA interconnects use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield.
But if you must use that Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable, connect:
connect the Black wire to the central pin at both ends
connect the Shield & White wire to the shell at both ends.
It's important that the Shield is connected at both ends.

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2020, 05:54 pm »
That Belden cables is for XLR balanced microphone & interconnect cables. For RCA interconnects use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield.
But if you must use that Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable, connect:
connect the Black wire to the central pin at both ends
connect the Shield & White wire to the shell at both ends.
It's important that the Shield is connected at both ends.

Got it - thanks so much!

Texbychoice

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:55 pm »
DIYers have used various types of cable for RCA interconnects.  Easy to find on YouTube.  I have to respectfully disagree with the use of Coax.  It is designed for applications with very different electrical performance requirements.  In addition coax center conductor is usually a singe wire that does not like small radius bends.  If that single wire breaks your cable is junk.  Multi-strand conductors as in microphone cable are more forgiving.  However, up to you to try either.

Secondly, you can find YouTube videos on using microphone cable.  Some connect the shield to return on both ends, some on only one end making the cable directional.  You might want to make a set both ways to try in your system.  In the vast majority of audio equipment the signal return is tied to chassis which is tied to what should be earth ground.  Assuming all your equipment is configured that way, either type cable configurations should work. 

Have fun.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:46 pm »
There are almost countless coax cables with stranded center conductors. While different coax cables are designed for different electrical requirements. Some of those coax cables are perfect for RCA single-ended interconnects. Any cable other than a coax is a poorer choice for a RCA interconnect.