See you at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, CA

jsalk

See you at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, CA
« on: 26 May 2015, 03:21 pm »

http://theshownewport.com/

Getting ready to shove off for The Show in Newport Beach, CA.  This will be the first time we have shown in the LA area.

While at AXPONA, we were asked to supply speakers for this show.  We will be showing the Exotica 3's and will be joined by Ginko Audio, Dana Cables, Lampizator (DAC) and Wells Audio (amplifier).  It should be an interesting mix.

If you get a chance to attend, be sure and stop by and say hello.  See you there!

- Jim

fsimms

Re: See you at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, CA
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2015, 12:27 pm »

Kwebb

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2015, 02:53 am »
Stopped by the Newport show today, specifically room 1144, and got to hear the Exotica's.  Truly amazing!!!!

It was really awesome to talk to Jim in person.  Can't wait to get my Exotica's.  I brought my camera with me so below are the photos to share:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2015, 03:13 am »
Stopped by the Newport show today, specifically room 1144, and got to hear the Exotica's.  Truly amazing!!!!

It was really awesome to talk to Jim in person.  Can't wait to get my Exotica's.  I brought my camera with me so below are the photos to share:

Wow!  :o

Kwebb

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2015, 03:21 am »
The Exotica's sound even better than the look. Jim put on a track that was very prodigious in bass and the Exotica's delivered it in the most realistic way I have ever heard.  The bass was tight but really, really, slamming and perfectly coherent with the mid and tweeter from top to bottom.  Words can't really describe it.

Kyle

billmcc

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2015, 07:20 pm »
I didn't realize the Exotica's had onboard amps. Wow! I'd love to hear them but maybe that wouldn't be a good idea ;).

Bill

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2015, 08:32 pm »
I didn't realize the Exotica's had onboard amps. Wow! I'd love to hear them but maybe that wouldn't be a good idea ;).

Bill

Yep, and what I didn't know is each woofer has its own 300 watt amp powering it. They were lovely Bill! If you know what's good for your wallet don't listen to them!  :D

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2015, 12:49 am »
Not each woofer.  Two woofers per plate amp.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2015, 12:52 am »
Not each woofer.  Two woofers per plate amp.

Ok, so 300 watts powering both woofers. I could have sworn at least two people said each woofer was powered individually. Must have meant each speaker.

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2015, 07:02 am »
There is one Ucd (class D) amp for each woofer.  So there are two amps per speaker, both servo controlled.

- Jim

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm »
There is one Ucd (class D) amp for each woofer.  So there are two amps per speaker, both servo controlled.

- Jim

I thought that was what I heard, and it was probably you Jim that told me. It was a real pleasure to meet you!

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2015, 12:59 pm »
Well, that was dumb of me.  Two modules in one plate...  Sigh.  I have to learn to keep quite when I forget things...  Hope the show went well.

JonnyFive

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2015, 01:07 pm »
Jim, do you have them bi-wired or bi-amped?  I notice two sets of cables plugged in.

sfox7076

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2015, 02:41 pm »
This one I can field.  It's biwired becuase the Dana Cables are biwire cables.  I don't think you could biamp the E3s as there is only one set of binding posts. 

Shawn

JonnyFive

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2015, 02:43 pm »
This one I can field.  It's biwired becuase the Dana Cables are biwire cables.  I don't think you could biamp the E3s as there is only one set of binding posts. 

Shawn

Thanks.  I thought Jim was using BJC all around?  Right they can't be bi-amped, since the woofer is already amped.  I knew this but hadn't had sufficient coffee. 

sfox7076

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2015, 03:17 pm »
No.  Dana Cable at this show.

resonance

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2015, 07:14 pm »
Got a dumb question, cause I'm dumb about wiring. Is the bi-wire look on the hookup of these E3s due to the desire to use the better Dana Cables but they only come in bi-wire configuration and rather than leave two of the wires hanging out in midair, they are also attached to the appropriate binding posts? This must not hurt the sound or otherwise it would not be done this way, but does it help the sound of the speakers in any way?

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2015, 07:45 pm »
Although these cables could certainly be used to bi-wire, that wasn't the concept here. As I understand it, there are four 4 gauge conductors woven together.  They are obviously thick and heavy.  So there are spades on one pair and banana plugs on the other.  You probably couldn't get those connectors on two cables.  But you can attach the spades first and then the banana plugs.  The result is two 4 gauge cables on each terminal.

As for sound, since it was the only way we had them set up, I don't know how they might have improved the sound.  With a new DAC, new amp and new cables involved (new to us), I don't have any way to know what contributed what to the sound.  But the synergy was excellent.

- Jim

rbbert

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:24 am »
The best I've heard any Salk speakers sound, an opinion I've already seen echo'ed around the Internet.  Perhaps a new direction?  Keep (and keep improving) the older models for those who prefer them, and add more models like the Exotica for those who like this sound?

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2015, 07:06 pm »
The best I've heard any Salk speakers sound, an opinion I've already seen echo'ed around the Internet.  Perhaps a new direction?  Keep (and keep improving) the older models for those who prefer them, and add more models like the Exotica for those who like this sound?

Yes, we will definitely continue working in multiple directions.  Later this year, we will probably have even more directions to explore (at the risk of too many choices).

- Jim