See you at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, CA

Gopher

Re: See you at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, CA
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
Jim,

It was a great ride and I'm really pleased to have had the opportunity to work with you.  Your Exotica 3s are awesome and a ridiculous value--made for a very solid show partnership!

Keep on making a great product and I wish you all the best  :thumb:

Fred

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2015, 06:06 pm »
Well, the dust is starting to settle from our trip to the West Coast.  So I thought I'd share a few thoughts...

The Newport show equipment started with our StreamPlayer feeding a Lampizator 7-Lite DAC ($6000) using 300B tubes.  The Lampizator featured a passive volume control and also served as a preamp.  This fed a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature amp ($15000).  Dana Cables provided their $9000 per pair Ultra Summa 2AWG speaker cables and we rounded out the system with a pair of Exotica 3's.

Since this was the first time we showed with most of this upstream equipment, it is difficult to say what each of the various components contributed to the overall sound.  But if I had to guess, I would say that the 300B tubes had the most impact on the sound quality.

Many audiophiles feel the 300B represents the ultimate in terms of tube technology.  We rolled quite a few tubes (300B's, 2A3's, 101D's, 6A3's etc. from a number of manufacturers - some NOS, some new) and each imparted its own character to the sound.  Yet all of them imparted that classic 300B type character to one extent or another. If that is the type of sound you prefer, I think we had it in spades.

This was a very large show and reviewers had a lot to digest.  Many of them tend to concentrate on more main-stream brands.  So I wouldn't expect a whole lot in terms of reports on our room.  But here are a few comments:

Stereophile - Sasha Matson:

"The Salk loudspeaker is a very impressive multiple-driver piece of kit, throwing out a huge amount of full-range sound. Perhaps a bit too much for the room here, but given a proper space to work in, it delivers the goods, and then some—and all the upstream elements are playing their part as well."

Whatsbestforum.com -
Keith R:

"Salk/Lampi: Jim Salk has gone in a different direction with this higher efficiency speaker and was rewarded. Very open, musical sound for 12k. As far as how much the Lampi influence was? I wouldn’t pretend to know."

Bruce B (StereoMojo reviewer):

"The Salk/Lampi room that I heard was just the best digital possible. I wasn't too familiar with the electronics/speakers, so trying to gauge what the Lampi was doing is just a crap shot. But you can certainly tell when a digital system does something bad. The Salk/Lampi room was another Oasis that I could sit and listen to for a long time!"

Vihn from Ginko Audio (distributor of Dana Cables) is nice enough to send links to comments and reviews as they come it.  There will probably be more and I will update this thread when they are available.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2015, 06:29 pm »
Jim,

It was a great ride and I'm really pleased to have had the opportunity to work with you.  Your Exotica 3s are awesome and a ridiculous value--made for a very solid show partnership!

Keep on making a great product and I wish you all the best  :thumb:

Fred

Fred -

Thanks.  With that many companies in the same room, you run the risk that personalities will not mesh.  But in this case, I enjoyed working with everyone involved and I think everyone made a significant contribution to the outcome.  Looking forward to working with you again down the line.

- Jim

sfox7076

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2015, 08:57 pm »
Having bought one thing or another from all three of the people in the room, I would never imagine there would be a conflict.  Though if I were there, I probably would not have shut up.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:59 am »

Corrected image below!

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2015, 06:25 pm by Gopher »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2015, 11:54 am »
Doesn't mention Salk though! :evil:

jsalk

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jun 2015, 02:29 pm »
Doesn't mention Salk though! :evil:

Maybe you'll like this version better...

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:41 pm »
That's better! Congrats to Jim and crew, and the others!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2015, 05:40 pm »

wait till Jim starts fooling with a stellar analog rig!

congrats on a great sounding show

sfox7076

fsimms

« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:00 pm »
This is the link to the Positive Feedback award mentioned above.

http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/impressions-my-audio-oasis-awards-for-the-show-newport-beach-2015/

This is a quote from the article.

I think that this is the best that I've heard one of Vinh Vu's rooms ever sound…a wonderfully transparent, dynamic, and detailed audio presentation, one that was a pleasant interlude for me.

The main difference in Ginko's room from previous rooms is the Salk Streamer and Exotica 3.

Bob

sfox7076

« Reply #31 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:20 pm »
And the Lampizator DAC...  They were showing the Lite 7 for the first time.

fsimms

« Reply #32 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:56 pm »
And the Lampizator DAC...  They were showing the Lite 7 for the first time.

Yes, but the Lite 7 is just a Big 7 with a solid state power supply vs a tube power supply.  Ginko had the Big 7 at Axpona.  One person who heard both said that it would be difficult  to tell the difference in sound with a double blind test.  That is why I didn't consider it a "main" difference.  That they had a 300B tube instead of a 101D tube might make a noticeable difference so I might have been hasty.

Bob