Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D Discussion and Experiences

witchdoctor

Re: Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D Discussion and Experiences
« Reply #80 on: 26 Sep 2019, 04:13 am »
Very inspirational, looks great and I'll bet it sounds even better.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #81 on: 26 Sep 2019, 08:53 am »
Thanks man, you were definitely one of the folks who helped convince me that I should go ahead with Atmos, so mjch appreciated :)

My biggest concern has been trying to do this in a smaller room, but it really does sound cohesive and dynamic. The echo was pretty crazy when I first started, so treating it this heavily made a massive improvement, and then the room calibration did the rest.

If you're ever in North GA, stop over for a listen  :thumb:

goskers

« Reply #82 on: 26 Sep 2019, 03:18 pm »
Looks great!  Glad results are positive.

I am in the midst of slowly finishing off my basement. I have all of the gear to do a pretty nice setup for Atmos.  Am on the fence as to whether I finish the full blown effort or greatly reduce the effort and complexity. I rarely spend time listening and watching these days so I continually question my path forward. Since I already own everything I will press on with the current path.

ajzepp

« Reply #83 on: 27 Sep 2019, 02:54 am »
Looks great!  Glad results are positive.

I am in the midst of slowly finishing off my basement. I have all of the gear to do a pretty nice setup for Atmos.  Am on the fence as to whether I finish the full blown effort or greatly reduce the effort and complexity. I rarely spend time listening and watching these days so I continually question my path forward. Since I already own everything I will press on with the current path.

Thanks :)  I can totally understand that dilemma. I honestly thought that Atmos was just the next gimmick that they were using to get us to buy new/more gear, but some people I trusted convinced me to give it a go. Not sure if it's helpful or not, but all I can say is that Atmos (and keep in mind, 90% of the time Im actually using the Dolby Surround or DTS Neural upmixers, not *actual* Atmos) makes a very noticable and significant impact on the presentation - at least to my ears. The greater sense of dimension to the overall soundfield is really a lot of fun, and it makes the room feel significantly larger overall.

I can totally understand the apprehension of going through all the effort when it's not something you typically spend much time with these days, but compared to a typical 5.1/7.1 surround system, there is definitely a benefit to adding the height channels.

Whichever direction you go in, I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor!

witchdoctor

« Reply #84 on: 30 Sep 2019, 12:34 pm »
They just released Abbey Road in Atmos! Can't wait, I understand Amazon is going to start streaming Atmos mixes too:

https://concertsondvd.com/collections/new-blu-ray-releases/products/the-beatles-abbey-road-anniversary-box-set-3cds-blu-ray-2019-release-date-9-27-19

WGH

« Reply #85 on: 13 Oct 2019, 07:38 pm »
I recently finished upgrading my 5.1 system to a full Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 setup and the resulting sound really enhances the home movie experience. The 5.1 system is part of the stereo so when the Outlaw 975 died I replaced it with an Anthem AVM 60 because I already had most of the amps needed. I picked up a used Adcom GFA 7300 5-channel amp for $350 from the The Music Room for the atmos speakers and I was all set.

Researching ceiling speakers was daunting, I didn't know everybody and their brother-in-laws makes ceiling speakers with prices from real cheap to really expensive. I began narrowing down my search with a couple of requirements: they should disappear and be protected from blown insulation and the high 140 degree attic heat in Arizona.

Big Red Machine also gave me something to think about with his post on the first page of this thread:
...I found the ceiling speakers were too close to your ears with no dispersion to give any effect...

So I began thinking of bi-pole speakers for more dispersion and less beaming, which led me to Triad Speakers. Triad has been doing home theater for a long time and recently blew everyone away with their $300,000 11.4.6 dts-X: PRO Demo w/ TRINNOV Audio Altitude 32 & TRIAD Speakers at CEDIA 2019

Triad has a user group at AVS Forum and Dawn Gordon suggested using the Inwall Bronze/4 Surround bipole as atmos speakers, which is what I ended up using. The reason for using bipole speakers is that for ceilings 8' and under it is very hard to get the proper dispersion as BRM discovered and my ceiling is less than 8'. I am very happy with the speakers and would use them again. Highly recommended!

I found a pair of Triad Onwall Bronze Surround speakers to use as the surrounds on eBay along with two Inwall Bronze/4 surrounds so fortunately I only had to buy two at retail. Triad only sells through a dealer network, I located a dealer that sells Triad speakers at 10% off, no tax and free shipping:
https://avscience.com/

My 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos surround sound home theater has 4 amps and a REL Gibraltar G2 sub for a total of 1740 class AB high current watts and yes, it's as awesome as it sounds.

Free Dolby Atmos demo videos can be downloaded at:
Demo World
Demolandia
Official Dolby Website

So far movies I have watched that show off the immersive Atmos sound include Blade Runner 2049 ( the Hans Zimmer soundtrack has very strong 25Hz content), John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, and Godzilla: King of Monsters (of course).

My goal was to incorporate all the changes without drastically changing the uncluttered look of the living room. The front has the REL sub and amp stack, speakers are Salk HT2-TL and Salk HT2C.

There are 8 speakers with a total of 26 drivers in the photo below, the Onwall Bronze surrounds are hidden in the modified ATC sound panels and the upper rear speakers are homemade Vifa bipole surrounds.

The installation involved a Tyvek suit because the ceiling has 16" of blown insulation but I ended up doing all the work from below because the attic was too tight with all the braces.
The Fein oscillating sander with a saw blade made cutting the 1" thick plaster & drywall ceiling very easy.

I figured out how to fish wiring from hole to hole and down the front wall all from below, cleanup was fun too.

witchdoctor

« Reply #86 on: 13 Oct 2019, 10:33 pm »
It looks like all the hard work paid off, your room looks fantastic! Your choice to go with white grill blends nicely. Great tip about low ceilings and dispersion issues. The blend of your room treatments along with ARC must really top it off so the sound is seamless as the decor.
Try checking out the Qello concert service on your Roku. Tons of DVD and Blueray concerts available for streaming and when you use your upmixers for either atmos or DTS-X the you are there factor along with the screen is really a great experience.

I can't see from the photos but are you using a power conditioner?

WGH

« Reply #87 on: 13 Oct 2019, 11:06 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have Roku but the main computer is connected to the Anthem AVM 60 with HDMI so I stream everything and convert it into DTS-X. ARC makes a big difference, all the speakers sound great after calibration.

No power conditioner, the Van Alstine Set 400 and REL sub are plugged directly into the wall. The other electronics are plugged into a Panamax 5410 surge protector, a Tripplite Isobar6, and various Felix filters.

Here is a photo of the Triad Inwall Bronze/4 Surrounds mounted in the ceiling along with the Vifa Surrounds I made a long time ago

The Triad Onwall Bronze Surrounds are screwed to a black background, the speakers disappear behind the ATC sound panels grill cloth.

The Vifa surrounds were made from a kit back when Hi-Fi VCR's were popular and part of my original surround sound setup in 1995.

witchdoctor

« Reply #88 on: 14 Oct 2019, 03:57 am »
NP, the main computer can stream qello just fine then. I was using a PC for a while but switched to a sony blue ray player with most of the streaming apps I use. Problem is if you need a service not in the devices software you are SOL.   It only uses spotify for music and i would prefer tidal