Discussion Topic - Biamping

bhobba

Discussion Topic - Biamping
« on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:07 am »
Hi All

Its quiet around here so I thought I would stir up a bit of discussion about something that interests me a bit.  Active vs Passive Bi-amping.  I seem to recall Bob mentioning in the past he was not a big fan of active bi-amping, and preferred the passive variety.  I can't quite seen to recall the reason for this, so I thought we might have a little 'conflab' about it and see what people think.  Any thoughts, observations, feelings about it or whatever would be appreciated. 

I have experimented with passive bi-amping in the past with excellent results.  It was with a speaker that went down to 2 ohms at crossover - a hard load for any amp.  Still two Rotel amps sounded better than a better quality single amp (an ME amp - a really high current amp).  Mono it beat the Rotel (not by a lot BTW), but bi-amping - the Rotels won - and at a cheaper cost overall.  I may have to get my Minis bi wireable when fiances finally allow me to take delivery just to experiment a bit.  Sigh - like so many a casualty of the horrid economic environment.

Thanks
Bill