SP Technology Speaker Family

seadogs1

SP Technology Speaker Family
« on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:50 pm »
It seems to me that the "sound" of the SP Technology family of loudspeakers is pretty uniform across the entire line. Oh, maybe one goes lower in frequency, maybe more SPL's in one than another but pretty much the same sound. Where am I going with this? Well, what are all of you using for amps, preamps, sources, innerconnects and power cords?

Double Ugly

Re: SP Technology Speaker Family
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 10:30 pm »
Hi seadogs1,

Aside from the Revelations, yes, the 'sound' (or lack thereof) of SP Technology speakers is consistent, or uniform if you prefer.  The bass produced by the Revelations' T-line is far better than that produced from any other speaker or sub I've heard, but I'm told you've already experienced that for yourself.

As for ancillary components and cables, I'm using Stealth Audio Cables Indra ICs, Star Sound Technologies Sonoran Plateau speakers cables (no longer available; will probably switch to Straley's sooner than later), my source is a modified SB2 connected directly to Butler Audio Monad monoblocks (SB2 will be replaced w/ a Slim Devices Transporter soon) and all my power cords are Black Sand Silver Reference MK Vs.

IMO, one of the best things about SP Tech speakers is that you can mold them into pretty much any sound you want.  They are a true transducer, and consequently they allow you to choose components that produce the type of sound (warm, hyper detailed, laid back, forward, etc.) you prefer without worrying about having to correct any perceived sonic adjustment made by the speakers themselves.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.  If you'd like to discuss things more directly, I'll give you a call if you don't mind PMing me your number and a good time to call.

-Jim