CD transports

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
CD transports
« on: 28 Jan 2018, 06:00 pm »
 Can anyone one tell me that when a cd  transport does fail what is the main cause. I imagine it is with the mechanical aspects...such the spindle motor , drive belts or  the failing of the laser  itself.  I would think that  circuit elements would be very stable  or could be replaced with equal parts.  Thanks again folks.... :thumb:

Phil A

Re: CD transports
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2018, 06:24 pm »
Not sure if this will help lots but it has some good info - https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2018, 06:27 pm »
Not sure if this will help lots but it has some good info - https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm
...thank you ....some good info there. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2018, 07:25 pm »
It depends on the transport brand that usually are all Sony or Philips, the machines from the 1980/90 were built to last and not misalign focus and tracking with the different discs medias.

I had a Denon DCD1520 w/transport Sony KSS151A that never rejected discs and never misaligned, otoh more modern transports are full of factory planned defects, most are hard to fix.

So far today I never hear about a defective motor, the defects always turn around focus and tracking, mainly misaligned focus on multi format machines as CD/DVD/BR universal machines.

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2018, 09:17 pm »
Well now we have a unit (JPL 2580) Blue Tiger made by Stream Unlimited of Austria. Bryston has picked it  for the new player (BCD3). It has been used by several other  companies as well and is considered a "commercial grade" unit. Seems like a well made loader  and hopefully there will be parts well into the future. Funny thing  it mentions  some of their staff are from  Phillips. :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2018, 09:20 pm »
I have owned a lot of Cd machines since they started to be available.
The first machine to start failing it was a big capacitor which leaked all over the main circuit board.
The next fail was a ribbon connection from the sled to the board.
Another was just the puck supporting the CD was pushed down, and needed to be slipped up the spindle.
Another the spindle motor would not start unless the disc was pushed. it may have been a capacitor, or a coil in the spindle motor.
Needing to regrease the rails in the sled carrying the laser.
Cleaning out hair and dirt on the rails carrying the laser

The problems have NEVER been a failed laser. Though I read all the time of folks getting new ones.. IMO this is 'throw parts at it and hope' sort of repair.

spinner

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2018, 09:31 pm »
 Wow that's quite an insight to what things can happen . Good to hear that  lasers are a solid  member of this group of parts...thanks.... :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2018, 12:03 am »

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2018, 01:54 am »
I had a current model of a  Cambridge transport, with both optical and digital outputs to an external DAC. The transport was for RedBook CDs only. (no md3 or SACD disks)  I was very satisfied with its handling of RedBook 16/44.1CDs. I've given both the transport and DAC to my grandson, as I'm now the owner of a BCD-3 CD Player (yes: still only standard RedBook CDs!)

I have several disks that are hard to load and play, but the Cambridge transport managed to play them with no trouble. IMO, the digital output is preferred, but output via the TosLink was identical to the digital.

One of my favorite test recordings is the Verdi Requiem by Fritz Reiner. It's an early recording, remastered by Decca. The beginning Requiem, followed by the Dies irae can tax both the frequency and dynamic system responses  to classical music.. The Cambridge transport didn't disappoint.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm »

One of my favorite test recordings is the Verdi Requiem by Fritz Reiner. It's an early recording, remastered by Decca. The beginning Requiem, followed by the Dies irae can tax both the frequency and dynamic system responses  to classical music.. The Cambridge transport didn't disappoint.

Great recording, as are many of Reiner's recs, usually with the Chicago Symph. Those recs from the 50s and 60s by Reiner are simply excellent references for sound quality reproduction. cheers
 :thumb:

You may also want to try this for testing out the depth of your system's bass:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2018, 04:27 pm »
Thanks for the reference. I'll find it and put it with my few "test" recordings.