Going monitor with subs for 2 channel, looking for good ideas !

2bigears

:D hello all AC'ers. Well it's time to sell my large power hungry speakers for monitors and at least two subs. If anyone has such a system or knows the latest jewels ,, please jump on board. I have moved to a smaller pad and my large speakers just don't have even close to the air they need. Monitors from what one reads are detail Queens and I sure hope midrange too. The bass would be great with a few good musical derived subs. Servos are King for sure.  Budget ,, somewhere around 5 large would be great. Thanks for any help.   :D

WGH

Get the Odyseey Kismet Reference Monitor for $3,700 USD and you won't need subs. Give Klaus a call.

https://odysseyaudio.com/kismet-reference-monitors-2/

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183576.0

Or Fritz Speakers

https://www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp

I have heard both many times so I'm not guessing, recommending only the best for you.

VinceT

I have some Fritz Carrera's I am going to list this weekend, let me know if there is any interest. Great speakers!

2bigears

:D thanks,, I have talked with Fritz before. Those Kismet need no subs ?  Wowwww. The tweets must be really good. Love to hear those for sure. Wonder if he has those in stock ? He uses hi perf x-over parts too.
             I will be nearfield for sure. JBL make those active speakers I bet are pretty dam good too. I have the little 305's and I like them.   Those Kismets make me wonder for sure.  :D

JCarney

If you do not want to build them, you can order a finished pair of NX-Studios with the benefit of tailoring the x-over to your tastes if you so choose.

JCarney

https://gr-research.com/product/nx-studio-pair/

2bigears

:D GR make good speakers too. I was thinking of these. That Kismet sure looks good. I need a new amp too.  Maybe get a good package deal. My big X250 needs a tune-up .... I can't do the 100 pound amp anymore.  :D

JCarney

Honestly, all three mentioned, Odyssey, Fritz, GR are really good choices. Have fun with your search and decision. I've been enjoying inexpensive diy speakers with my Granddaughter and finding little gems like the Dayton HTA-50BT and HTA-100BT integrated units.

JCarney

2bigears

:D thank you kindly.  Major rebuild here. Going pint size but still seeking great sound of course. A silky midrange is a must. Guitars and voices crisp. Haha. Paradox of choice in a great big world.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Definitely have to second JCarney's suggestion. I still can't believe the sound quality out of my pair. I have mine with a pair of SVS subs but if you were to match them up with a pair of servo subs you'd be a happy camper.

JackD

The Fritz Carrera and the Odyssey's are going to be more similar than not as they both use the same Revelator woofer and a Be tweeter.  The Fritz now uses the Satori tweeter and the Odyssey the Scan Speak Be tweeter.  Both are reported to go comfortably down into the mid-30's without strain and I can attest to that with the Carrera's.  Even with that I still found they benefited from having a pair of subs crossed over around 50 hz or so depending on the room reinforcement.  I was happy using a pair of RSL Speedwoofers with them which you can get for less than $1000 shipped.  Like Vince I also have a pair of Carrera's I would be willing to sell as I have far too many pairs of speakers not in daily use.  It will come down to if that's what appeals to you out of your options and what finish you prefer.  Mine are Tiger Ebony and his may be another finish.  Another really good option at a lower price point is the Reynaud Bliss Jubilee and there are several Canadian dealers and a distributor.

If you are also looking for another amp at a reasonable price look at the Kinki Studio EX-M7 for a stereo amp or the EX-M1 for an integrated.  Last I checked Charisma Audio was the Canadian distributor who you can buy from directly.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
If you’re going to use a sub then the NX-Studio is a no brained.  Best monitor speaker I’ve heard under $10k.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
What about the Buchardt A500 active monitor?  Rated down to 25 Hz.  Comes with room correction (shouldn't need subs).  Saves your back.  Will ship to you hassle free with 45 day audition.  When I heard the Fritz (which I loved) Fritz himself mentioned it worked best with a big, beefy (heavy) power supply on the amp. 

How big is the room?  Nearfield is normally defined as desktop (within 4 feet of the listener).  I listen midfield (about 7 feet). 

If you're going to buy subs, get 4 to create a swarm (small ones are OK, especially in a small room).  Read fellow Canadian Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn how multiple subs are the best way to tame room inherent bass peaks/dips.  I have three subs in a near ideal listening room. 

bacobits1

I'm planning buying very soon the Fritz's Like the next few weeks. JackD show me what ya got if interested.
Hence my sale of the very good Usher CP 6371. I will be using my CM2 with all my backup tubes, which isn't going anywhere. Room being 12X14 all treated should sound very nice.

2bigears

:D here we go ,, I knew all of these would come up ....haha.  GR little guys will need a few subs. Kismet might not ? Fritz may need a few subs and love big power. I do like the idea of the special beryllium tweet. never heard those. truly 'the paradox of choice' once again.   :D

Tyson

You said in your initial post that your new setup would include at least 2 subs.  In that case the NX-Studio is a no-brainer, it's a better speaker from 70hz and up than the other speakers mentioned. 

If you don't want any subs and just want a bookshelf speaker that does good bass, the Kismets are a very good choice.

2bigears

:D thanks people very much. Is Dannys tweeter on par with the beryllium I so would love to hear.  it was the rage a while back. I have a hard time with the Kismet needing no sub. that is one bold statement for such a small box. how is GR's midrange ?  does that bass/mid driver do a good job there ?   :D

Tyson

:D thanks people very much. Is Dannys tweeter on par with the beryllium I so would love to hear.  it was the rage a while back. I have a hard time with the Kismet needing no sub. that is one bold statement for such a small box. how is GR's midrange ?  does that bass/mid driver do a good job there ?   :D

The NX-Studio is class leading.  You really have to spend a LOT more on something like a Raidho or Borrensen to better it. 

Early B.

:D thanks people very much. Is Dannys tweeter on par with the beryllium I so would love to hear.  it was the rage a while back.

Beryllium may be mostly a marketing thing. I recently compared a pair of beryllium compression drivers with their aluminum twin and heard no difference at all. I think the design matters more than the choice of tweeter.     

Oh -- and don't let anyone convince you that you don't need subs, especially with monitors. They're essential. Buy the best subs you can't afford. They're more important than the choice of monitor, IMO. Having said that, you gotta put the NX Studio at the very top of the list.

2bigears

:D thanks very much guys.  ok, ill not focus on the big $$ be tweeter. does the GR sing in midrange ? who doesn't love glorious mids.? and yes that monitor was made with subs in mind. wonder if anyone has a pair built and broken in I can buy ?  I would bite on those without question.  and then get the subs ordered ..  those small drivers makes one think they are not rich with tone. (just saying)  my last kick at the can and if I can I sure would love to get this right !!  haha.   :D

Tyson

:D thanks very much guys.  ok, ill not focus on the big $$ be tweeter. does the GR sing in midrange ? who doesn't love glorious mids.? and yes that monitor was made with subs in mind. wonder if anyone has a pair built and broken in I can buy ?  I would bite on those without question.  and then get the subs ordered ..  those small drivers makes one think they are not rich with tone. (just saying)  my last kick at the can and if I can I sure would love to get this right !!  haha.   :D

The midrange on the NX-Studio is spectacular.  It's so good because they don't even try to make much bass.  So all the engineering went toward making incredible mids.  The driver Danny uses is exceptional.

If you want one already built, GR Research has started offering finished and assembled speakers - https://gr-research.com/product/nx-studio-pair/